Atlantic Bird 1 12.5W

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

captn

Original poster
May 16, 2008
Hi everyone, I'm new here, and wanted to ask a question

I live in the east end of Montreal Canada,
I want to know if I can catch Atlantic Bird 1 12.5W , and if so what lnb and what size dish should I use.

From what I found so far, this satellite as a footprint that covers the the American east coast also.

If I'm correct , my elevation should be arround 11.3 degrees and I have line of sight on the horizon....

Any help would be appreciated
thanks in advance

Captn

Here is a footprint map for North America power distribution of the Atlantic Bird 1.
You should be able to locate your city and get a rough estimate of dish size required.
I just did, and it looks like a 90cm should have a strong signal.

Frequency usage is linear, from 11597 H, to 11690 H for signals beamed our way.
Standard LNBs start at 11700mhz, so I guess you would need a Universal.
See spec sheet on a typical LNB for details: SNH-031.

Last edited:
you should be able to then. I had a 30" dish at Hispasat (30W) and it was 9.6 elevation here in Minneapolis :)

I can get down to 15 degrees, I know I have the travel and enough elevation in the motor but the dish hits the side of the house at about 13-14 degrees, you should be able to see it ok with a universal lnbf if you have line of sight. Let us know what you find.

ok thanks guys, ill get the needed equipment and try this out in the next week or so

Im kind of new at this hobby, with Anole's reply stating '' the signals beamed our way'' I just found out actually that a satellite does not actually beam all of their transponders over all of their footprint... as Anole stated from 11597 H, to 11690 H is the only thing feasable but not worth it after finding out that there's only 3 channels , plus not the ones I originally intended to catch

Well, we're all here to help each other.

I'm just sorry I didn't post this info on which transponders were aimed where, earlier.
These questions are very complicated, and getting to the full answer does take some digging.

Not sure what you were looking for, but if you'll post your interests, it's very possible someone will know a bird that has it. ;)

plus not the ones I originally intended to catch

Sorry to hear that ....................

It's a real bummer to get so excited about certain channels only to find out they are beamed elsewhere.

Wishfull thinking .... so what channels caught your eye.

Did you already have an FTA setup or were you thinking about it ?

Regardless of my interests I'm always exstatic about adding more birds and channels to my current sat list .

One day I'll try to get Telstar 12 just to see if it's possible , I have dialogued quite a bit with an FTA enthusiast in Phoenix who didn't belive he could see that much of the clarke belt to the east , after seeing pictures of his rooftop LOS I was certain that he could get much more and comunicated this to him ..........
............. He surprised me when he told me that he took a potable TV and a battery with enough juice to play with the receiver for an hour up to a hilltop in the area the highest ground he could find just to see if he could possibly get more.

Yes... he did end up adding a couple more sats to his receiver.

He surprised me when he told me that he took a potable TV and a battery with enough juice to play with the receiver for an hour up to a hilltop in the area the highest ground he could find just to see if he could possibly get more.
Now, -that's- a SatGuy if I ever saw one!
Get him on the forum! We need more enthusiastic crazies like him - :up
. . . he'd fit right in! :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts