Newbie Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

landysaccount

Original poster
May 8, 2008
Hello everyone.Someone in this forum said "FTA is addictive". I thought it was kidding. It is quite addictive. I'm new to this and I'm getting hooked. I'm in Domincan Republic, there arent many restrictions here as in the States. Cable here sucks and I had to find an alternative to it: FTA satellite system. Its great but, since I'm new to this I have a lot of questions. I was able to install a 5' dish with two LNBs one hitting 110W Echostar 8,6 and the other 119W Echostar 7. I'm able to get 65% signal strength on both but the quality is not the same; I get 75% quality for 110W and 32-40% for 119W. How can I bring increase this quality?I would like to know on what satellite can I receive NYC's local ABC, NBC, FOX, UNIVISION among others? I'm already thinking of installing another dish to try hitting 30W Hispasat and/or 61.5W Echostar 3. Can I use standard LNBs for any of these satellites?My location's coordinates: LAT: 19.289 LON: -70.249Thanks in advance for all your help and apologies for all the crammed questions in one post.

I don't know what happened to the original post that everything was so squeezed up but here it is again:

Hello everyone.

Someone in this forum said "FTA is addictive". I thought it was kidding. It is quite addictive.

I'm new to this and I'm getting hooked. I'm in Domincan Republic, there arent many restrictions here as in the States. Cable here sucks and I had to find an alternative to it: FTA satellite system. Its great but, since I'm new to this I have a lot of questions.

I was able to install a 5' dish with two LNBs one hitting 110W Echostar 8,6 and the other 119W Echostar 7. I'm able to get 65% signal strength on both but the quality is not the same; I get 75% quality for 110W and 32-40% for 119W.

How can I bring increase this quality?

I would like to know on what satellite can I receive NYC's local ABC, NBC, FOX, UNIVISION among others?

I'm already thinking of installing another dish to try hitting 30W Hispasat and/or 61.5W Echostar 3.

Can I use standard LNBs for any of these satellites?

My location's coordinates: LAT: 19.289 LON: -70.249

Thanks in advance for all your help and apologies for all the crammed questions in one post.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to hack any network. I'm new to FTA and I don't know what channels/satellites/transponder are for free.

I just want to learn more about the technology that's why I posted these questions.

Thanks for clarifying.

Welcome to SatGuys. If you pick "the List" at the top of the page and be sure to chose the FTA button, rather than subscription. That will give you the satellites you want to look at.

There are several (3 I think) ABC network stations on G10R (soon to be using G17) at 123*. You will find other FTA network stations on other satellites. If you are searching for network programing, there are network stations on various birds, but I have not looked much.

I personally prefer the Christian stations, and my wife wants PBS quilting, so we need two diferent STBs! -- Although most of hers are on Saturdays when the programs I want are not on!

I truly suggest you forget the subscription birds - international (TREATY) laws can hit you in DR and treaty laws are worse than subscription violations!

You will need linear LNBs for FTA.

To receive FTA channels you will need at least a 30" dish, and an DVB FTA receiver.
I would recommend you to buy a 36" instead of the 30" dish, because the 30"
dish is a more weaker dish, and when you get good at pointing the stationary dish you
may want to buy a motor. In order to pick up multiple satellites.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)