ATT Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am not sure in words I could describe how much I hate AT&T.

Their phone reception is so beyond bad it should be illegal.

I had Verizon for 4 years before I got the iPhone and I never had a damn problem in 3 cities with the reception. 2 years with the iPhone and I would possibly let Verizon take off a testicle of mine if it meant having them for reception with the iPhone

remember, Cell phone stuff is the LAST thing AT&T got into ....

remember, Cell phone stuff is the LAST thing AT&T got into ....

Which AT&T, the original AT&T or the current? I remember having Cellular One service in Chicago back in the early 90's which was owned by Southwestern Bell which eventually purchased AT&T and took the AT&T name. And SWB purchased Ameritech, of which Illinois Bell was part of and IBT had the original cellular network.

Which AT&T, the original AT&T or the current? I remember having Cellular One service in Chicago back in the early 90's which was owned by Southwestern Bell which eventually purchased AT&T and took the AT&T name. And SWB purchased Ameritech, of which Illinois Bell was part of and IBT had the original cellular network.

the current one ....
I know, I've worked thru all the changes since '90, it was Ohio Bell when I started ...:)

I guess my point was that the landlines and internet came out before the cell phone stuff took over.

My problem with AT&T has less to do with product than it does with service and attitude.

I have gone through literal hell with my AT&T internet. Over the last 6 months EVERY bill has been wrong (wrong rate, incorrect overage charges, etc) and trying to get through to the billing office takes a ton of patience because I know that when I call I need to clear literally a couple of hours. Additionally, I know I will get to go through no less than 4 different touchtone menus before I ever have the option of speaking to a person. When I finally do get to speak to a person I have to wait on hold in 10-15 minute blocks while the rep 'researches' the history on my account, then tells me that the situation requires the approval of a supervisor.

Also, for the last 3 months I have called in an effort to get a bundle discount on my services and despite the fact that I have been assured 3 different times that the bundle discount would be applied in the future it has yet to appear on my account.

Dealing with cable sucks, but dealing with AT&T's customer service sucks worse. I know that very few major corporations really care about their customers, which is why I have enjoyed my tenure with D*- in all of my dealings with D* their reps really seem helpful and as a company they appear to care about my satisfaction. AT&T on the other hand gives the outward appearance that they could not care less about my satisfaction as a customer because the monopoly they have on services they provide means they don't have to care.

My problem with AT&T has less to do with product than it does with service and attitude.

I have gone through literal hell with my AT&T internet. Over the last 6 months EVERY bill has been wrong (wrong rate, incorrect overage charges, etc) and trying to get through to the billing office takes a ton of patience because I know that when I call I need to clear literally a couple of hours. Additionally, I know I will get to go through no less than 4 different touchtone menus before I ever have the option of speaking to a person. When I finally do get to speak to a person I have to wait on hold in 10-15 minute blocks while the rep 'researches' the history on my account, then tells me that the situation requires the approval of a supervisor.

This is no different than any other large company you have to deal with, every large company puts you into a automated answering service.

Also, for the last 3 months I have called in an effort to get a bundle discount on my services and despite the fact that I have been assured 3 different times that the bundle discount would be applied in the future it has yet to appear on my account.

Dealing with cable sucks, but dealing with AT&T's customer service sucks worse. I know that very few major corporations really care about their customers, which is why I have enjoyed my tenure with D*- in all of my dealings with D* their reps really seem helpful and as a company they appear to care about my satisfaction.

AT&T on the other hand gives the outward appearance that they could not care less about my satisfaction as a customer because the monopoly they have on services they provide means they don't have to care.

AT&T does NOT have a monopoly, there are millions of other companies that do the same thing now.

Not to mention Charter has 12 HD channels in my town vs. DirecTV's hundreds.
DIRECTV has dozens, not hundreds, of HD channels versus Charter's one dozen. Most DIRECTV HD subscribers receive fewer than four dozen (unless you count the almost three dozen Cinema HD channels).

The difference is great, but not nearly as great as you suggest when you get down to what you get.

AT&T does NOT have a monopoly, there are millions of other companies that do the same thing now.

Millions? Seriously? That's funny because I cannot find any that provide local phone and DSL internet services to the portion of rural Texas that I live in. And believe me, I have looked!

I don't want to get into a pissing contest over this and I definitely don't want to hijack the thread (although it might be too late for that), I just stated that I am very dissatisfied with the service portion of AT&T because of several bad experiences that I had and I really hope that AT&T doesn't ever take control of D* because my experience with D* and their service has been very positive and I would hate to see that tarnished.

Obviously you like AT&T. Your are definitely entitled to your opinion; however, if you google 'at&t sucks' you get about a million hits, so my opinion about their service is not unique.

I heard they have started to answer as AT&T sometimes if you live in an AT&T area. That's just hearsay though.

On the AT&T support discussion, I have AT&T DSL and phone service. When you call in, their automated phone system is a pain. If you can reach someone, they are usually nice. The problem is that you have to wait days for for any on sight support if you have a problem.

On the other hand, the field repairman are excellent and have gone out there way to help me. Had a bad power supply to my DSL gateway, the phone support said they would ship it and it should be here in 3 to 5 days. I called the repairman that set me up originally, on his mobile. He had one on his truck and told me where to meet him. I was back up within an hour.

Last edited:

Millions? Seriously? That's funny because I cannot find any that provide local phone and DSL internet services to the portion of rural Texas that I live in. And believe me, I have looked!

I don't want to get into a pissing contest over this and I definitely don't want to hijack the thread (although it might be too late for that), I just stated that I am very dissatisfied with the service portion of AT&T because of several bad experiences that I had and I really hope that AT&T doesn't ever take control of D* because my experience with D* and their service has been very positive and I would hate to see that tarnished.

Obviously you like AT&T. Your are definitely entitled to your opinion; however, if you google 'at&t sucks' you get about a million hits, so my opinion about their service is not unique.

Well, they do pay the bills.

As for the Google thing, thats funny because you can do the same with ANY company and find people that have had trouble.

My point about the monopoly is that there are many other options now for phone service as well as TV and DSL.

IF ATT still had a monopoly the government would have stepped in, but they no longer have that situation, as everyone and thier brother does Phone now.

Have you tried your local Cable company ?

I had Verizon for 4 years before I got the iPhone and I never had a damn problem in 3 cities with the reception./QUOTE]

Just wondering what 3 cities you're talking about. I've had my iPhone for about 15 months and never had a reception problem in my travels.

Rumor has it in 2 or 3 years, Verizon may get to share the iPhone with ATT.

No comcast in your area? Everywhere I have been its the same exact thing except with Comcast. I'm getting 16mbps down, 5mbps up with comcast, but the best AT&T can offer is 1.5mbps down. It is like these companies don't even want to compete with each other.

No comcast in your area? Everywhere I have been its the same exact thing except with Comcast. I'm getting 16mbps down, 5mbps up with comcast, but the best AT&T can offer is 1.5mbps down. It is like these companies don't even want to compete with each other.

Alot of it has to do with where you are in proximity to the local Central Office as there are distance issue still with DSL.

ATT does not own Directv they are just partnered just like they were with dish. as far as them answering the phone" ATT Directv" it just depends on the person answering belive me I call the sometimes 2 or 3 times a day! ATT is using directv for their tv providor in areas where uverse is not availiable or if the customer perfers D*

ATT does not own Directv they are just partnered just like they were with dish. as far as them answering the phone" ATT Directv" it just depends on the person answering belive me I call the sometimes 2 or 3 times a day! ATT is using directv for their tv providor in areas where uverse is not availiable or if the customer perfers D*

Thank You,
I couldn't have said it better myself.

I just called the 1-800 directv number and had NO mention of AT&T when they answered the call.

Perhaps it is a caller ID thing? Customer answer recording based on your phone number in the database?

NO! as I said before it depends on who answers, someone who is doing their job or not...lol

So your saying everyone is suppose to be answering AT&T Directv now ?

I wish I could find more info about this, no one locally knows anything about taking over for D*....

I have speculated for a few years that AT&T would buy D* because of the greater value that D* had vs DISH, AT&T's old partners.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)