Attention 625 Owners

I guess I will not tell them because they will want me to find a way to do it. I have learned to wait until I know more info until I tell them anything. They are still asking me when the weather channel will have the locals on the 8.......

Will this start on Oct. 17th or is it anytime that the disk is empty starting today?

Also, I assume channel locks, timers are stored in separate memory so when the disk is reformated we won't lose these.

Just keep an eye here at SatelliteGuys and we will let you know when the software is in the stream. You will be able to get the additional space anytime after that point. :)

Users who have had disk errors that required a re-format have never mentioned losing timers, favorites lists, etc, etc. So yes, this information seems to be kept in a separate area.

Thats a one time fee to purchase a 625 via Dish'n It Up, not a monthly fee.

And if you already own / have the 625 you can get the extra space by deleting everything off of your hard drive and letting it sit for a day (the drive will reformat with the expanded space) (This is what they said on the chat today) :)

I apologize in advance for the dumb question but I need a clarification.

So if you don't have a 625 and you upgraded to a 625 you have to pay the one-time $30 fee but if you already have a 625 like I do, I don't have to pay $30 for the extra hard drive space right?

Thats a one time fee to purchase a 625 via Dish'n It Up, not a monthly fee. :)
Dishnetwork.com is (still?) showing the 625 as $19 after credit ($119 charged initially to CC) as of 9pm EDT. Plus I think you meant to say "leased", not "purchased."

Just buy compatible 250 GB disk(s) and it will convert your 522s to 625s.

But would the firmware see it as a 625 and use the new software? My guess is no- the system will always see the model number as 522 and not load/activate that feature unless the model number is 625. Of course, it might just check for disk size rather than model number. I doubt it, though.

Just buy compatible 250 GB disk(s) and it will convert your 522s to 625s.
Is the scamer RIRWIN didn't return your money ?

Yep, RIRWIN didnt return my money and there is no more money in his PayPal account. He probably don't use it anymore.

Won't opening up my 522 to change out the HD prevent me from getting the receiver replaced if I get a warranty on it in the future and have a failure?

Instead of getting an external hard drive with a 622 couldn't a person connect several hard drives up to a 522 and use a switch to switch between the hard drives or just swap hard drives to store content on another one?

not sure what benifit this is....when we have capability of an external hard drive. At least the 622 does, havn't heard of the 625. I have a 750gb freeagent pro (seagate) hooked up and love it, all space on my dvr is free right now.

Yep, RIRWIN didnt return my money and there is no more money in his PayPal account. He probably don't use it anymore.

Won't opening up my 522 to change out the HD prevent me from getting the receiver replaced if I get a warranty on it in the future and have a failure?

Instead of getting an external hard drive with a 622 couldn't a person connect several hard drives up to a 522 and use a switch to switch between the hard drives or just swap hard drives to store content on another one?
Yes, you could replace old disk back and return to Dish with little trick similar to 622.

Switch ? Well it will be hassles, but if such IDE [PATA] switch [incorporated in multi-disk enclosure] exist why not ? But it should have own power supply or switch power too for avoid overload the DVR's power supply.

Scott,

After reading the Retailer Chat Recap (Thanks for taking the time to do do the recap) E* stated that you have to delete everything off the drive and wait a day for the disk to reformate to gain the extra space.

My parents have a 625 and like me (622) there really is no way to do this. Even If we could use a USB drive on the 625 there really is not a time where something will not be recording for 24hrs.

Can't they just use the other partition and not reformat the partition size?

Ken

I suspect that when the new software spools, all you will have to do is delete all the recordings and do a hard reboot and it will then format the drive immediately. They are probably saying wait a day, when what they really mean is wait for the nightly reboot. So, you do not have to really stop all your timers and suffer through a day without a DVR.

I was thinking that you could just buy a second HDD for your 625 and replace the original to have your extra storage and put the original back in to view recordings on it.

Or do something else and not put it back in the 625. No USB needed.

Last edited:
not sure what benifit this is....when we have capability of an external hard drive. At least the 622 does, havn't heard of the 625. I have a 750gb freeagent pro (seagate) hooked up and love it, all space on my dvr is free right now.

External USB storage requires USB 2. The 625 only has USB 1.1. And it is much, much slower, and would be of little practical use even if they did activate the feature for that receiver.

No, external USB storage is just for the ViP series.

Just talked to a very good CSR tonight and asked about the 625 upgrade and if other boxes will be receiving it. Her response was "no" but added "The are too new". Hopefully someday the 622/722 will get this type of update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)