Attention 625 Owners

Do you have a Dish 625 recevier? If so I have some possible good news for you. I am hearing a strong rumor that starting around October 17th Dish Network will begin rolling out a software update that will INCREASE recording space from 100 hours of record time to up to 150 hours of recording time.

I find this news interesting that Dish is giving back some of the space they had reserved for Dish On Demand. I am wondering if we are starting to see the beginning of the phase out of the Dish On Demand satellite delivered to your hard drive service.

I have never prsonally ordered any of the movies from this service, becuse the movies were old, and the movies that I did want to see were OVERPRICED. None of the non new release movies should have ever been priced above $1.99.
I have a 625 DVR. The caller Id feature does not work---long story. Dish has told me that it is a software problem. I wonder if the software update will help my caller ID problem.

Just to clarify since the 17th is this Wednesday.

So to get the 150 hours we have to:

1) Wait until the software update is in the stream which will be announced here.

2) Once that happens. Before we go to sleep that night, we delete every single program in our DVR.

3) Make sure both tuners are off.

4) Presto. When we get up in the morning it should say 150 hr available on our DVR, when we press the DVR button twice to check it.

Is that all correct?

There's no encoders in Dish receivers, the raw data stream is recorded on the hard drive.

No, actually the VOD movies are streamed to the hard disk on data-only transponders constantly all day long. Any kind of data can be sent to the receiver that way. It is perfectly reasonable to do that and it would not require an encoding, since it's done at the uplink site.

No, all dish transponder streaming data packets, no analog at all. This is done according DVB-S standard.
And yes, no encoders in Dish receivers, only decoders.
No such VOD data-only transponders - VOD is just an alias for PPV channels, it have different SID, ie channel number.
[You, aegrotatio, should search for the data before post incorrect info.]

Have not been following this in detail, but it would seem that the most likely scenerio is that they are extending the main partition which should not require a reformat, and therefore there is no need to lose your existing DVR recordings, or the timers.

If they are changing the format such that they get an effective higher density, then I'd expect to lose timers and DVR recordings. This might also include a different record algorithm allowing higher density. 100 to 150hours is a large increase. But if they are dropping the OnDemand service due to marginal useage, and changing format and condensing algorithm, that might pick up the extra 50hrs.

In any case, I wouldn't think it is necessary for the user to erase anything. It would be done for the user.

Well for what it is worth I spoke to E* technical support when I had to exchange my 625. I asked them about the extra hard drive space, the rep put me on hold and came back and old me that it will be seemless. once the reciver downloads the software the extra time will be available. I guess it is just wait and see at this point.

Have you read posts here what is partitioning in use on 522/625 disks ?
If not - find it. If yes, then you didn't get it correct.
Ther is no way to Dish preserve recordings.

Have not been following this in detail, but it would seem that the most likely scenerio is that they are extending the main partition which should not require a reformat, and therefore there is no need to lose your existing DVR recordings, or the timers.

If they are changing the format such that they get an effective higher density, then I'd expect to lose timers and DVR recordings. This might also include a different record algorithm allowing higher density. 100 to 150hours is a large increase. But if they are dropping the OnDemand service due to marginal useage, and changing format and condensing algorithm, that might pick up the extra 50hrs.

In any case, I wouldn't think it is necessary for the user to erase anything. It would be done for the user.

Have you read posts here what is partitioning in use on 522/625 disks ?
If not - find it. If yes, then you didn't get it correct.
Ther is no way to Dish preserve recordings.

If you know the partitioning, repeat it if you wish.. don't care enough about the whole subject to search for it. But I'll read it if you repeat it.

I would say both models 522/625 will have the changes, it will just less remarkable for 522.

Nope. Only the 625. Once this happens, a defective 522 can no longer be replaced with a 625. It has to be replaced with another 522.

same comparison check can be added to the partitioning as is already in the sysinfo:

if hdsize > 200 then
. deviceid = '625'
. partitionscheme = 'big'
else
. deviceid = '522'
. partitionscheme = 'normal'
end if

I was wondering How Can a Person Save what we have on the 625 DVR if they do this??

I have alot of PPV Movies for the Grandkids Saved so they can watch them .

Plus, I have alot of shows I haven't had time to watch yet.

Can My Laptop Hook up to the 625 to save it some how if so how does one do this Please?

if one wants to upgrade a drive from a 522 to a 625 should this be done before the new software spools?

my 522 that got a 625 drive calls itself a 625 in the system info screen.

when a box looks for software wondser what effect this will all have?

Can My Laptop Hook up to the 625 to save it some how if so how does one do this Please?

Sorry, can't be done. Well, there are some other sites that stretch the law that might have some ideas, but no, there is no way to do this via Dish.

You might want to consider getting a ViP622 or ViP722, even if you do not yet have an HDTV. With these HD DVRs, you can attach an external HDD to a USB port and move programming over. You can play back from the internal or external hard disk drive. You can even have multiple external drives, if you wish. Great feature! I knew I'd like it, I just massively underestimated how much I would use it.

Thanks for the Info...

So, Tomorrow I will loose everything I have saved on my DVR..

JUST GREAT!!

Thanks for the Info...

So, Tomorrow I will loose everything I have saved on my DVR..

JUST GREAT!!

E has more intelligence than cause all 625s to reformat and dump all their recordings if fopr no other reason than tech support phone volume.

Even done slowly every call costs them bucks and some subs would cancel.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts