Attic antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
I just moved into a new house that is a bit closer to town and I want to setup an antenna for OTA, since DirecTV doesn't carry my PBS station in HD and there are a few subchannels I'd like to get. Unfortunately for this endeavor I am limited to an antenna in the attic because of HOA rules (to be honest I'd rather not have the antenna outside anyway, I've already paid extra to have my DirecTV dish to be on a pole in the yard instead of on the roof).

My zip code is 35040, and my locals are coming from Birmingham, AL. I've got a $30 flat indoor RCA antenna that I got at walmart to use for a few days while waiting for my dish to get installed. With it I can pick up most of the Birmingham stations and actually one or two from Montgomery. What I'd like to do is get all the locals from Birmingham, at least from downtown (the ABC stations come from the outer edges) and the one or two stations I'm picking up from Montgomery. I'm assuming I get the MGM stations because they are about 180 degrees behind the Birmingham stations.

First, what kind of degredation of signal am I going to get by putting the antenna in the attic? What is the best way to mount it? I've got an unfinished bonus room above my garage where I'm going to put it for now and was thinking of hanging it from the rafters with rope until I can come up with something more permanent in the attic part. And, finally, what is a good VHF/UHF antenna for being about 40-50 miles away from the transmitters? The PBS that I really want to pick up is at a lower power now but I can pick up a frame or two with the indoor antenna, so I think I've got sufficient signal at the house.

I have an antenna in my attic and I can pickup Chicago and Milwaukee stations both roughly 60 miles away with a 60-80% signal depending on the station. I definitely suggest a rotator.

I have an antenna in my attic and I can pickup Chicago and Milwaukee stations both roughly 60 miles away with a 60-80% signal depending on the station. I definitely suggest a rotator.

Well all the stations I want are at the same place. Birmingham's ABC station(s) are probably 60 degrees one way or the other from where the rest of them are, but it's ok if I don't get ABC OTA. This is all feeding an AM21 so a rotor isn't really practical for me. Fox, NBC, CBS, CW, MyTV, and the two independents are all on the same mountain downtown and are literally within 1/10th of a mile of each other.

If I do decide to try to get ABC OTA after I get this initial antenna setup, I'll probably just get a second antenna and point it at Tuscaloosa for ABC.

An attic install will cut your usable signal at least in half, maybe more, so buy twice as much antenna as you would for an outdoor install

The space over the garage is probably preferable to any space in the house attic, because there will be fewer electrical wires, A/C conduit, and other interference causing elements over the garage. Ay horizonal wiring or flat metal surfaces should be kept as far away from the antenna as possible.

Attics are poor because of the attenuation of signal passing through the roofing materials and because of the reflections and other problems caused by home components usually found in an attic.

Outside in the free air is always preferred.

An attic install will cut your usable signal at least in half, maybe more, so buy twice as much antenna as you would for an outdoor install

The space over the garage is probably preferable to any space in the house attic, because there will be fewer electrical wires, A/C conduit, and other interference causing elements over the garage. Ay horizonal wiring or flat metal surfaces should be kept as far away from the antenna as possible.

Attics are poor because of the attenuation of signal passing through the roofing materials and because of the reflections and other problems caused by home components usually found in an attic.

Outside in the free air is always preferred.

But an attic antenna should be an order of magnitude better than a cheap indoor antenna on top of my TV in the living room, right? I'm already picking up most of the channels I want, and the PBS I want I get a frame or two every once in a while so I'm thinking I should get it with a proper antenna in the attic

But an attic antenna should be an order of magnitude better than a cheap indoor antenna on top of my TV in the living room, right? (Too many variables so there is no way to make or verify that statement.) I'm already picking up most of the channels I want, and the PBS I want I get a frame or two every once in a while so I'm thinking I should get it with a proper antenna in the attic

Grabbit Ears WILL work if you want to make them. Here's the page:

GrabBit Ears

Attic antenna - HOA

Outside works best, like Jim says.

Actually, you can put up the antenna outside and the HOA can't do anything to stop you. Look up OTARD - Over-the Air Reception Device rule.

You can put up a satellite dish too if you want.

I just moved into a new house that is a bit closer to town and I want to setup an antenna for OTA, since DirecTV doesn't carry my PBS station in HD and there are a few subchannels I'd like to get. Unfortunately for this endeavor I am limited to an antenna in the attic because of HOA rules (to be honest I'd rather not have the antenna outside anyway, I've already paid extra to have my DirecTV dish to be on a pole in the yard instead of on the roof).

My zip code is 35040, and my locals are coming from Birmingham, AL. I've got a $30 flat indoor RCA antenna that I got at walmart to use for a few days while waiting for my dish to get installed. With it I can pick up most of the Birmingham stations and actually one or two from Montgomery. What I'd like to do is get all the locals from Birmingham, at least from downtown (the ABC stations come from the outer edges) and the one or two stations I'm picking up from Montgomery. I'm assuming I get the MGM stations because they are about 180 degrees behind the Birmingham stations.

First, what kind of degredation of signal am I going to get by putting the antenna in the attic? What is the best way to mount it? I've got an unfinished bonus room above my garage where I'm going to put it for now and was thinking of hanging it from the rafters with rope until I can come up with something more permanent in the attic part. And, finally, what is a good VHF/UHF antenna for being about 40-50 miles away from the transmitters? The PBS that I really want to pick up is at a lower power now but I can pick up a frame or two with the indoor antenna, so I think I've got sufficient signal at the house.

Do you care about WUOA? Thats the only channel on VHF-Low. If you dont, the newer VHF-High/UHF antennas are a bit smaller and may be more suitable for attic mounting. I'd look at a HBU33 or if you have the space a HBU44 from AntennaCraft. Antennacraft HBU Antennas Or if you want to spend a little more money look at the HD7695 or HD7695 from Winegard. HDTV Home Antenna, 30-50 Miles, VHF, UHF, HD7694P, Yagi - Winegard

As for mounting, you can mount a mast from the rafters hanging down and attach the antenna to that. Make sure everything is plumb.

AntennaWeb
Industry approved antenna guidlines, with compass direction, distance, color coded antennas. It is conservative. If you live in a rural area and are close to a cliff/butte it may error, other than that it's excellent. all it requires is physical address and Zip. You can search with Zip only.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)