GEOSATpro Audio Dropouts During DVR Recording Playback microHD

donwallace

Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
I routinely get audio dropouts every few minutes when playing back DVR files. My kids are complaining about it. Drive is formatted as FAT32

Last edited by a moderator:
I routinely get audio dropouts every few minutes when playing back DVR files. My kids are complaining about it. Drive is formatted as FAT32

Never had this problem on the test bench using dozens of drives on hundreds of recordings.

Depending on the TV channel recorded, a file could be as long as 1 hour on a regular standard resolution channel and 5 or 6 files for high bitrate HD programs. An audio drop out every few minutes is likely not related to file joining.
  1. Does this happen on all recordings?
  2. Have you tried another drive?
  3. What drive type, brand, model, USB 1.0/2.0/3.0, etc.?
  4. Does it playback fine on a computer?
  5. What channel is recorded?
Personally, I would format NTFS as it usually has less file issues. The drive (throughput and buffering) would be the first thing I would check.

Last edited:
Have you watched the channel LIVE, to see if the audio dropouts happen in realtime or not?

Is the audio just sent straight to your tv set through the HDMI cable, or is it routed through an audio receiver of some sort first?

Never had this problem on the test bench using dozens of drives on hundreds of recordings.

Depending on the TV channel recorded, a file could be as long as 1 hour on a regular standard resolution channel and 5 or 6 files for high bitrate HD programs. An audio drop out every few minutes is likely not related to file joining.
  1. Does this happen on all recordings?
  2. Have you tried another drive?
  3. What drive type, brand, model, USB 1.0/2.0/3.0, etc.?
  4. Does it playback fine on a computer?
  5. What channel is recorded?
Personally, I would format NTFS as it usually has less file issues. The drive (throughput and buffering) would be the first thing I would check.

I checked with my 11 yr old son who's the most proficient of my 4 kids with technology (He may be young but he's usually on the ball with techie stuff.)and who uses the receiver the most.(I don't have much time to watch TV). According to him the audio dropout happens on live TV as well as on the recordings. He also says it's all stations all 4 satellites we have dishes for, G19-Ku, AMC21-Ku, AMC18-C and AMC9 not just the PBS stations I noticed.

Have you watched the channel LIVE, to see if the audio dropouts happen in realtime or not?

Is the audio just sent straight to your tv set through the HDMI cable, or is it routed through an audio receiver of some sort first?

Audio dropout does happen real-time.
Audio goes straight from uHD rcvr to my Panasonic LCD TV via direct HDMI cable.

Then I would focus on the connections, cables and devices that play back audio as Primestar1 suggests.

What is the Signal Quality on the problematic channels?

Is Timeshift ON or OFF? If ON, test with it OFF.

Are these audio sources Dolby or standard?

Does the audio problem exist on both AV and HDMI outputs?

If HDMI, what is the output set to? Bitstream or LPCM?

Have you tried different cables?

Have you tried different audio playback device?

Is the microHD volume set to at least as 75% or higher and the TV volume is used to control volume?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)