Audio problem - 622

like2watch

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Recently, maybe around the time I was "upgraded to TurboHD", some, not all, of my recorded programs began having very annoying audio "clipping". I think it is mostly with programs on Fox & ABC. I mostly record in HD. We hardly ever watch these stations live.

I spoke with tech support and was told they would replace the receiver. I would say okay, but I've got a bunch of programming on the internal HD plus two 500GB EHDs with a lot more. Replacing the receiver means I'll have to spend tons of time saving the programming for use with the new receiver. And in my mind there's a good chance this problem is another software issue so the new receiver won't help.

Has anyone else begun experiencing audio problems with a 622/722 recently?

Thanks

I'm seeing (well hearing actually) the same thing on my 622.

I believe this could either be the latest software or just that the hard drive is becoming fragmented. The fragmentation argument is supported my Dish's easy offer to replace the unit because defragging it yourself would be impossible for them to ask you to do yourself.

I've been pondering doing it myself but just can't face all the work as it ends up being the same process as you mentioned for replacing your 622. That is you transfer everything to external drives then load it all back. That should work. I've done it with PC drives and had 100% success. Still, there are no guarantees.

If it doesn't get any worse or my patients holds out I'll just wait until I upgrade the next time.

If the issue is fragmentation, why isn't the video being affected? It needs to be fed to the decoder a lot faster than the audio.

I haven't noticed any audio problems on my 622 other than one that's not 622-specific. Namely, on "Fringe" on Fox SD, the background music gets so loud that it drowns out the dialog. This even happens if I turn on ProLogic II and turn up the center channel. It happens on my girlfriend's SD receiver too. It doesn't happen on my cable company's HD Fox channel. (Thanks again for blowing a deadline with no explanation, Dish!) I don't know if the problem is Fox-wide or just at the particular local SD station. I had the same problem with the local ABC channel via cable years and years ago (no HD then) on "Twin Peaks".

I noticed terrible audio dropouts on my local FOX station (Charlotte). It wasn't so bad during football, but trying to watch Family Guy is impossible. Dropouts every couple of seconds. It was like this last week when I tried to watch Family Guy, and I've noticed it slightly on Fringe. Seems to be on recorded HD. I have a 722. I haven't noticed any dropouts on non-local channels. I also noticed audio dropouts on OTA channels through the 722. Something is going on =/

I think it is software. If it were fragmentation it wouldn't only appear on programs on specific channels. At the moment I'm watching/recording a show on ABC and am experiencing the dropouts in both the live and recorded stream, although not too bad. Watched recordings earlier on AMC & HBO with no problems. I also plan on moving a problem recorded show to an EHD and playing it from there. I expect it to still have the problem.

Update - moving to EHD still has problem. Seems to me that it is the incoming stream that is the problem, or software that processes it.

I'm seeing (well hearing actually) the same thing on my 622.

I believe this could either be the latest software or just that the hard drive is becoming fragmented. The fragmentation argument is supported my Dish's easy offer to replace the unit because defragging it yourself would be impossible for them to ask you to do yourself.

I've been pondering doing it myself but just can't face all the work as it ends up being the same process as you mentioned for replacing your 622. That is you transfer everything to external drives then load it all back. That should work. I've done it with PC drives and had 100% success. Still, there are no guarantees.

If it doesn't get any worse or my patients holds out I'll just wait until I upgrade the next time.

Last edited:
On other forum

Some one on the other forum was asking about this in Seattle area. In both your case and his it has only been on ABC & FOX. These are 720p OTA nets. I just wonder if there is a problem w/ these networks because of the 720p encoding done for these nets.

Please specify whether these recordings are Dish or OTA and what market you receive these channels from.

I am in the DC market and have not had this problem with either the OTA or Dish channels.

Please specify whether these recordings are Dish or OTA and what market you receive these channels from.

I am in the DC market and have not had this problem with either the OTA or Dish channels.

Problem is with Dish channels, no OTA installed. We're in San Jose, CA.

I have had the exact same problems here in Portland, OR on my 622. Fox and ABC HD satellite locals. They work fine live but audio stutters on DVR recordings off these channels. Family guy was unwatchable every other word dropped out. Same with Fringe and Terminator.

"In both your case and his it has only been on ABC & FOX. These are 720p OTA nets. I just wonder if there is a problem w/ these networks because of the 720p encoding done for these nets."
...interesting. ABC and FOX are the only ones I've experienced this on. Dish needs to fix this ASAP.

Yes, I've only noticed it on ABC and FOX as well. But not all the time on FOX! I recorded a football game last Sunday afternoon and it was fine. But the animation that evening was unwatchable!

Got a response from DishQuality@echostar.com

Dear [Miggity],

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

We apologize for taking awhile to get back to you. We just want to clarify when you say skipping you are only referring to the audio? If so, this is not in your system setup. It is an issue that our software engineering team is currently researching. It appears to be happening only on certain channels and only to certain customers. We retrieved two of our customer’s boxes who have recorded this issue, so the team can further troubleshoot. If the picture is skipping and freezing, we would be curious to know if this happens on another show other than Sara Conner Chronicles. Do you experience that on any of the non-local channels? If so, which ones?

We appreciate the time DISH Network customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer.

Got another response from Dish Network:

We are aware of the issue. Our Software Team for the 622/722 receivers is currently looking into it. To investigate this issue, our Software Engineering team is currently dissecting one of the boxes that we have retrieved from a customer. We are also in the process of retrieving another box for that same team. Hopefully, they will find a resolution soon. The fix will most likely come in the form of a software download. Some of our customers have this issue on 1080i channels as well. We will keep looking into the issue and trying to get it resolved. It will be a matter of getting the problem identified and then corrected. Unfortunately, sometimes these things take awhile and then other times it is a matter of a few minutes.
We appreciate the time DISH Network customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience, information, and for being a valued customer.

EchoStar Technologies LLC
Quality Assurance Department

I am having the exact same issue with Fox in Portland, OR. Family Guy was HORRIBLE!

Miggity, thank you for posting those responses from Dish!

ya
I have the same problem with ABC & FOX piss me off mine is VIP722,when i watch fringe every week piss me off the sound clipping of and on,but the rest is ok just those ABC & FOX...i live in castro valley cali. :(

Thank you Miggity for posting those responses! At least we know they are aware and are working on the issue. They haven't responded to me yet. Thanks again.

It is nice to know they are working on it and I have been incredibly impressed with the responses I've received from the Quality Assurance Dept., but that still leaves us with the fact that this is a major problem for a lot of people and it needs to be fixed ASAP!

It is nice to know they are working on it and I have been incredibly impressed with the responses I've received from the Quality Assurance Dept., but that still leaves us with the fact that this is a major problem for a lot of people and it needs to be fixed ASAP!
I still get P.O.ed when it happens but you know what they say: "Sh## happens" and now we know Dish is working on figuring out what is going on.

Also gives me a great big "Ah ha!" when a CSR jumps in with an offer to send a new box. It could be not so much nice guy as request from the tech dept for units to study.

Then even more sinister is when someone is given a "new" re-manufactured unit and it does the same thing. Are those unlucky folks getting to beta test a possible solution?

Just think; only some units and some locals cause it to happen. It would be very helpful to send a unit out that is known to be OK in some particular regard which may or may not be the reason for it happening then waiting for the poor customer to unknowingly"test" their solution.

The techs are in a tough place. I've been there when sh## happens and you can't figure why.

But I think I have even more sympathy for us folks who are paying and not getting paid to deal with this.

Last edited:
Watching a recorded show was so bad last night I went to abc.com & watched it on my laptop instead. I'm going to contact Dish again about this and suggest that if they don't get it fixed soon that they should offer some financial consideration to those suffering with this problem.

I'm in the Portland area and have a VIP 722 and am having the same problem. I called Dish a couple of weeks ago and was told that I was the first to report this problem!

I've resorted to recording FOX off of the external antenna, that seems to negate the problem. The other locals also have the problem, but not nearly as much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts