Audio quality

HD#1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Los Angeles
I just purchased an Onkyo 605 just want to know what setup do I use to get True HD on my movies Bitstream or PCM?

Looking at the equipment in your sig -

You can't with the Sony S300, it' can't decode TrueHD (or DTS MA on Fox titles), nor bitstream. The PS3 can decode TrueHD & send the resulting PCM to the receiver. The PS3 cannot bitstream.

The A30 can decode TrueHD on the player, it will send the resulting PCM to the 605 which will indicate it is receiving "multi channel".

On the HD DVD side, only the XA2 & A35 can bitstream TrueHD & DTS MA to the receiver. On the BD side, the Samsung 1400 & Panasonic BD-30 can bitstream to the receiver.

But will the Sony Blu Ray player play uncompressed audio with my 605 since most of my Blu Ray are Disney and they use uncompressed audio

But will the Sony Blu Ray player play uncompressed audio with my 605 since most of my Blu Ray are Disney and they use uncompressed audio

Yes, the Sonly player will read the uncompressed PCM off the Disney titles and send it to the 605, which will show it as multi-channel - and it will sound terrific. And I'm pretty sure almost all BD titles with TrueHD also have an uncompressed audio track that can be selected.

Does this sound the same? If the player decodes and sends PCM is sending bitstream and letting the reciever decode better?

On my system and to my ears, I much prefer my receiver doing the decoding. To me it makes sense that these HDMI 1.3 receivers are optimized for TrueHD & DTS MA playback, whereas the players are designed to do a lot of things (read discs, process audio & video, mix both for PiP, etc.) for the lowest possible price.

I haven't heard Blade Runner yet but out of the 15 or so disks I've watched Transformers by far had the best audio!!! I have a Sony STR-DG810 with Pioneer speakers and a Yamaha sub woofer. Shook the house. Oh and it was only DD+.

HP in TrueHD was the second best audio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)