Audiovox PNP2 Car Kit Install?

Mark_AR

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
North Arkansas
Just got my Audiovox PNP2 & car kit today.

The base looks clunky and the radio looks quite bulky. But.. I won't let looks dictate functionality.

Can I mount the antenna on the rear panel inside the car near or on the center 3rd brake light assy or does it have to go outside on rear deck lid??

Thanx!

People have reported it working like that but for best results it's best to mount it on your roof.

OK, got it activated.

I've noticed quite a bit of HISS in the FM feed. I've tried switching it to each of the 4 preset FM channels.

The only time the hiss seems to lessen is when I hold up the whole thing against the headliner just behind the map reading lights.

(95 Dodge Intrepid)

My FM antenna is on the right rear fender.

Any suggies??

Get either the Audiovox SIRSWB FM switch module (usually for around $17-20 at Circuit City or Best Buy) which is a box that you plug into your radio's FM antenna port, and you plug your FM antenna into it, and then you plug the cable into the FM Out port on the back of your car kit. When your receiver is on the switcher box cuts the FM antenna off so you won't get any outside FM stations. When it's off your FM radio works as normal.

You can also get an aux input adapter for your car radio if it has CD Changer controls. That's how I have mine hooked up.

I called and got a tracking number, and mine will come on 12/2. Reading these posts got me to wondering just how do you install them? I thought it sent a signal to the FM radio, but now I'm wondering if that's the case. Is there a wire that runs from the antenna for the sat? How big is the part you have to mount. I SHOULD be getting the Audiovox PNP2.
Thanks
Jim

The sat antenna itself is black and about the size of a box of Tic-Tacs with rounded edges and has a magnetic base.

Sitting in my driveway at midnight, I was moving it all around the inside of the car and as long as it was anywhere near glass, I got at least 1 to 3 signal bars. Reaching outside the car and plopping it anywhere on the roof netted a constant 3 bars signal strength.

The base is a different story. Although the 4 channel FM transmitter may work for most, in my case the radio antenna is located about as far away from the Sirius base as you can get.

If your car antenna is located in the rear of the vehicle, you 'may' need to get a hard wired antenna switch SIRSWB as Neutron suggested. The base seems to have an effective range of about 6 feet. Since I dont have either Best Buy or CC within 80 miles, I am headed to my local car audio dealer to see if they might have one.

So far I can't comment on Sirius/Audiovox. As long as it keeps working like it has, it is a good product, but with only a few driveway hours under my belt, I need to run it through more mobile tests. :D

The channels are extensive and until you find and program in your favorite ones, you can easily find yourself sitting in your car for hours thumbing thru categories/channels. :)

Thanks for the info. I thought the problem was your antenna was too close. Mine is on the right hand front, so I'm guessing I'll be okay. I cannot WAIT to get it. I've been listening to some of the music channels on Dish, and when they did the Howard promotion I could not resist any longer. My only problem is I have NO ability to wait for it to arrive well. I want it yesterday :)

Quest for an SIRSWB

This is turning into a soap opera looking for an SIRSWB.

Today:

First local car audio place wanted $79.00 for a wired Kenwood transmitter.

Second audio place looked at me like I was a space alien and said they couldn't get one.

Called Sirius. It ain't their problem. Told to call Audiovox. 1-800-645-4994.

Called Audiovox. They can't help me since it is after 5PM Eastern.

Will call back tomorrow but am Siriusly thinking about shipping everything BACK.

(Searched web)

No longer available on BestBuy.com

Not showing up on CircuitCity website either.

Looks to be available on a couple of not so reputable looking websites for $12.59 to $25.00 plus up to $14.00+ standard shipping. I think *NOT* I'm not giving out my CC# to just anyone.

So... The above is FYI for all of the SIRPNP2 tuners that may need an SIRSWB. You may have better luck getting pigs to fly.

You can most definately order one through Audiovox directly.

You could also try ebay. :)

eBay was one of my first stops. None up for bid and none sold in the last 30 days.

I'll call Audiovox in the AM.

I appreciate all your help Neutron!

Umm.. I even hate to mention it, but I was wondering if anyone else that got a PNP2 noticed this.

The little scratch protector on the front of the unit that you peel off....

Smells like... Wintergreen :eek:

I noticed it when I cut open the package last night. Took a minute to figure out where it was coming from.

Things that make you say.... Hmmmmmm

That's what I'm here for!! Hopefully you'll be able to order one through Audiovox directly.

I went the aux input adapter route because I wanted the best sound quality that I could get. The adapter ran me $65 though, but well worth it.

Let us know how your FM Switcher install goes! Take pics if possible.

Neutron said:
I went the aux input adapter route because I wanted the best sound quality that I could get. The adapter ran me $65 though, but well worth it.
Let us know how your FM Switcher install goes! Take pics if possible.
My cheapo Durabrand AM/FM/CD/MP3 player from Wally-Mart doesn't have AUX inputs. ($87.00) :(

If it did, I wouldn't need the switcher. The car kit comes with 1/8 mini to RCA L/R output patch cable. :D

SIRSWB FM Antenna Switch - Direct from Audiovox 1-800-645-4994
#5 Customer Support

Roughly $21.00 including shipping and it will be here in about 5 days directly from Audiovox.

CSR said they just got 500 in stock. I should have bought about 10 of them and sold 'em on ebay. :D

Until then, I can throw the PNP2 in the backseat and listen to it or leave it up front and put up with fuzzy audio. :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting the phone # and customer service selection.

I went ahead and ordered the FM switch today. I'm pretty happy with the current FM transmission status, but occasionally I have the sense that there is some slight bleedthrough from adjacent FM stations (or somebody closeby has his boombox turned up to blast), plus we will be making a cross-country drive in the near future, and this will help prevent any spurious interaction from local stations enroute.

Strange that the Audiovox web store doesn't provide for online purchase of this item, whereas they are happy to sell it via telephone.

I'm delighted with Sirius so far. Being retired, I hope it never gets to the point financially that I have to make a choice between my medications and the Sirius subscription. Granted, it's a luxury, but I don't want to give it up.

vicw said:
I'm delighted with Sirius so far. Being retired, I hope it never gets to the point financially that I have to make a choice between my medications and the Sirius subscription. Granted, it's a luxury, but I don't want to give it up.

I was sooooo tempted to go with the LIFETIME subscription for $599.00 but I didn't know what other content was like other than what I had heard of the free Dish/Sirius channels(Chan 6000-6099) I find myself listening to the old timey radio shows more and more.

It would be an investment in just a bit over 3 years. When my sub comes due next Nov, I may just do it. It will give me a year to decide. The bad thing is, you never know what technology is going to do in that timeframe.

Anywho... Enjoy! :music

I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, but it might help your situation.
I have the Sirius PNP2 with the car mount and the FM tuner. (got in on the Howared Stern deal, even though I have little intention of listening to Howard Stern!)
I've been experimenting with the FM transmitter, and I've found out the following:
If you connect a plug in the jack labeled "FM Out" and run the center conductor to an appropriate length of wire (I estimate 850cm), you can greatly enhance the range of the FM Transmitter.
If you were to use Coax wire between the SIR PNP2 and this homemade "antenna" you can move this signal to another location (like moving the output of the FM transmitter to the back of the car, rather than the front).
Or, with sufficient height, you could say increase the range enough that all the radios in your house could pick up the signal... :)

Some other things I observed:
From what I've read, the FM Out has a DC voltage signal present. This doesn't present a problem in an open antenna configuration, but if the two leads get shorted to one another, as in a Coil, or other antenna configuration (like a loop), the FM transmitter will stop transmitting while the short condition exists. I would insulate the antenna to prevent shorting. Doesn't seem to hurt the unit, but didn't push my luck either...
I'm using a 1/4" jack to F-Connector adapter. I may try using a DC blocking connector, and see if that helps with the shorting problem. (The antenna I want to use is a loop).

If you plug a connector into the AUX out, the FM OUT apparently stops working (so you can't use BOTH FM Out and Aux out at the same time Darnit!).

Co-workers who can only get one station on their radios love having a second choice on 88.3 Mhz, some even go out and buy their own satellite radios!! :yes

I received the FM switch from Audiovox yesterday, and I installed it today. Surprisingly, it was a piece of cake on the Subaru Forester. As it turns out, they have a short antenna wire stub leading from the radio, which hangs down just under the plastic cover on the left (driver) side of the console, terminating in an in-line connector, easily accessible. I didn't need to get at the rear of the radio, which would have been difficult. I just had to pull it apart, install the switch, and dress all the extra wiring under the covering. Works great so far.

Yep, got mine a couple days ago. I have been waiting for a warmer day to crawl under the dash.

Been thinking of a way to mount my radio in the console in front of the shifter as not to have a big CLUNKY looking box glued to my dash. I can deal with 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch sticking out of the console. It might even look sporty that way.

I also need to hard wire it into the ignition circuit so that it powers off when the key is off.

Aww..heck... Maybe santa will bring me a Sirius ready in dash radio. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)