Australian Open

anders5189

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
For those that missed it Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer to win the Australian Open. It was another great match that went 5 sets. The sad part was at the end. Federer was so crushed that he lost to Nadal again that he just broke down crying during the trophy presentation. I've never seen an athlete, at least a man, so crushed after a loss.

It's a shame because this is the best rivalry in tennis and one of the best in all sports right now. I'm not sure how Federer regroups after this loss. I'd hate to see him get so frustrated that he just quits like Borg did years ago when John McEnroe surpassed him. Hopefully he can come back and keep this rivalry going.

The quality of play fell way off in the 5th set. The points were a lot shorter. It was good tennis but no where the classic these two played at Wimbledon last year.

The quality of play fell way off in the 5th set. The points were a lot shorter. It was good tennis but no where the classic these two played at Wimbledon last year.
You're right. Of course no match will be as good as that Wimbledon final, but this was plenty competitive. It just seemed the pressure got to Federer at the end. It's like seeing Tiger Woods turn into Greg Norman at the end of a major tournament. It's hard to imagine.

That game at 2-2 in the fourth set was incredible.

I think there was something like seven deuces in that game alone!

I DVR'd this match and watched Sunday morning. What a great match! These 2 (Raffa & R-Fed) certainly provide great theater. I really can't root for or against either one. Both great ambassadors to the game.

When R-Fed was choking up in the trophy presentation, I got a lump in my throat. This is an amazing example of how much the sport and match meant to Federer. He's one helluva competitor.

With that said and the grueling semi-final match Rafa had to endure to reach the Championship just a day earlier and for him to go out and battle like he did against Federer.... what can you say?! Simply amazing. Rafa is the undisputed #1 player in Tennis right now.

I guess Wimbledon really was the so called "passing of the torch". I just hope R-Fed can still break Pete Sampras' record some day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts