Auto gadgetry crossroads - HELP! :)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hancox

Pub Member / UConnaholic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 23, 2003
Monroe, CT
So - at a bit of a crossroads, in terms of auto gadgetry. Need some help.

A month ago, I had:

a 16GB Zune, hooked up into a headphone-jack only AUX in
a crappy built-in GPS in my car, with sirius built-in (active sub almost through last contract date)
a Garmin streetpilot with both MSN Direct (actively used) and FM (no subscription) traffic receivers, lifetime map updates.

2 big changes:
I went and got an iPhone4s :) This now adds some basic control into the crappy built-in stereo in the car (usb/aux-in combo in the center console)
MSN Direct is now dead as a doornail, so without a traffic subscription.

So, I need to figure out where I should head on this. Theoretically, I have a few options:

Option A:
Buy lifetime traffic for the FM traffic receiver on the Garmin.
Pros: Cheap ($60), keeps everything as-is. No data connection needed. Keeps bluetooth phone capability.
Cons: Makes iPhone semi-redundant for GPS/traffic, the traffic data is slow/unreliable to update at some times. GPS is also > 5 years old

Option B:
Buy GPS app for the iPhone
Pros: semi-cheap. Better / more reliable traffic data. Theoretically upgradeable as apps improve.
Cons: Requires large space on iPhone and/or large data usage (16GB iPhone, 2GB data plan). Lose bluetooth handfree phone.

Option C:
Replace headunit in car, Buy GPS app for phone
Pros: Most seamless, as can make this whole thing as close to plug-and-play as possible. Add HD Radio and other capabilities.
Cons: Most expensive. Will likely lose built-in-Sirius antenna (though I'm not married to that all that much). Possible loss of center console connections.

I'm wrestling with A and B the most, and really only have C out there if it's adding something I'm missing.

So:

1) Anyone with opinions on GPS apps?
2) Anyone with any other suggestions here? I'm all ears.

well i woulda said get an android phone and just use google nav and google maps
free traffic, free updates

works great for me

That's fair, and I likely would have, if I could have gotten an Android phone. My employer doesn't support them, unfortunately.

I use the Navigon app on my iPhone and it works great. Live traffic info is a one time in app purchase. Also, you can select which maps you want taking up space on your phone (I have the north American version that includes all the US in Canada, but I can save a bunch of space by only storing California maps on my phone until I need the other ones).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Not a fan of the navigon GUI, to be honest. I find any GPS GUI to be a matter of taste, though, so nothing wrong there.

Anyone use the Garmin apps? Have to admit I'm interested in keeping a similar GUI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)