AutoHop Question

So charlesrshell, did you keep your Dish locals or cancelled them? And if you did decide to cancel the locals through Dish and because you live in the same area as me and our Prime Time locals are the same, what did Prime Time record since the dual Air Tuner will only record 2 locals.

Reactions: charlesrshell
So charlesrshell, did you keep your Dish locals or cancelled them? And if you did decide to cancel the locals through Dish and because you live in the same area as me and our Prime Time locals are the same, what did Prime Time record since the dual Air Tuner will only record 2 locals.
TheKrell in post #17 said the AutoHop didn't work for him the next day so I decided to keep the DISH satellite locals. I like how the one tuner can record all the PTAT channels and rather have that instead of having to set all the timers for our favorite local channels. Can you let me know what you decide to do and how goes it?

I can answer that even though I'm not in your DMA. If you turn off PTAT, then no satellite locals are recorded because they do not exist any longer in your authorized channels. There is no fail-over to the OTA tuner, even if you selected only 1 or 2 of the big 4. (I selected only 1.)

Last edited:
I'm obviously not charles, but..... Prime Time isn't going to record anything because it can only record off of your local satellite Prime Time transponder. You don't see that at all unless you sub to local channels. You need to set your own recordings, up to two in any time period, to record whatever you want. When you set Prime Time Any Time in your setting without having a local channels subscription all you will get is Auto Hop, allegedly, on whatever you recorded on OTA big four local channels.

I'm obviously not charles, but..... Prime Time isn't going to record anything because it can only record off of your local satellite Prime Time transponder. You don't see that at all unless you sub to local channels. You need to set your own recordings, up to two in any time period, to record whatever you want. When you set Prime Time Any Time in your setting without having a local channels subscription all you will get is Auto Hop, allegedly, on whatever you recorded on OTA big four local channels.
If AutoHop worked next day without having the DISH satellite locals package I would cancel my local package. For now, I am going to keep the DISH sat locals.

Thanks charlesrshell and TheKrell, I'm going to cancel the Dish locals today, leave the PTAT set to on for all the channels Sunday-Saturday and will see what or might not happen the next 8 days. As always, appreciate any comments/feedback.

When you set Prime Time Any Time in your setting without having a local channels subscription all you will get is Auto Hop, allegedly, on whatever you recorded on OTA big four local channels.

Allegedly? :confused: It works for me. :D I thought you were one of the original instigators of my Autohop experiments...
If AutoHop worked next day without having the DISH satellite locals package I would cancel my local package. For now, I am going to keep the DISH sat locals.

I wouldn't keep mentioning that "Autohop worked next day". That might be a bug that gets "fixed" by Dish.

Does any Autohop expert have a comment for us? Who should get Autohop next day? My Fox program (The Orville) didn't get Autohop for a week! But then the red rabbit appeared even for episodes I had recorded earlier before turning on PTAT.

Allegedly? :confused: It works for me. :D I thought you were one of the original instigators of my Autohop experiments...

I wouldn't keep mentioning that "Autohop worked next day". That might be a bug that gets "fixed" by Dish.

Does any Autohop expert have a comment for us? Who should get Autohop next day? My Fox program (The Orville) didn't get Autohop for a week! But then the red rabbit appeared even for episodes I had recorded earlier before turning on PTAT.

IIRC FOX and CBS have a 7 day delay nationally. NBC and ABC vary according to the market. Our NBC and ABC has no delay, at least not yet. :)

I only used the word allegedly because Charles mentioned the next day effect and I got confused over that. It seemed like he was saying that AutoHop didn't work at all unless you subbed to locals via satellite but I was wrong. :)

Same here in the St Louis area. It sure has been nice getting next day OTA AutoHop for CBS since they have blacked out DISH.

So, are we agreed that Dish restores autohop without a delay (other than next day) on channels that have been pulled due to a carriage dispute?

I don't know. You have me all confused. Bottom line is for CBS next day AutoHop does not work unless DISH has been blacked out.

Chad's post is rather inscrutable. But I think he means to say that the OTA locals that are blacked out on satellite do indeed have next-day Autohop enabled. So I don't see much downside risk to your dropping satellite locals. You should still have next-day Autohop on your CBS affiliate until they renew their contract with Dish.

Chad's post is rather inscrutable. But I think he means to say that the OTA satellite locals that are blacked out on satellite do indeed have next-day Autohop enabled. So I don't see much downside risk to your dropping satellite locals. You should still have next-day Autohop on your CBS affiliate until they renew their contract with Dish.
OK, understand. But I don't want to quit the DISH locals unless I get next day AutoHop for all my OTA locals. I would rather keep them for the one tuner can record all four Prime Time channels without setting individual timers. If we could get next day AutoHop without the Sat local package I would cancel the DISH local package.

Chad's post is rather inscrutable. But I think he means to say that the OTA locals that are blacked out on satellite do indeed have next-day Autohop enabled. So I don't see much downside risk to your dropping satellite locals. You should still have next-day Autohop on your CBS affiliate until they renew their contract with Dish.
That’s what I meant.