automatic login

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
I've been playing around with Firefox 2, 3, and 4 on W98 ;) and I managed to screw up autologins on http://www.Satelliteguys.us and possibly everywhere else too. Firefox is storing my username and password, because as soon as I click on the username login box, my username appears along with my password in asterisks. I check the mysterious checkbox, which IIRC is supposed to enable automatic logins, and then I login and all is good until I shut down firefox and restart it.

Do you know what happens when you check the checkbox to enable automatic logins? This last worked on ff2, but not on ff3 or ff4. :(

When you check the box it tells the server to send your computer a cookie which does not expire, thus keeping you logged in.

I would try deleting all your cookies and seeing if the new ones stick.

Just tried deleting them all and closing down and restarting, logging in manually, closing down and restarting yet again. 15 cookies were set from Satelliteguys, but still I must log in manually. :( I tried other sites and I can't log in automatically anywhere. Bah! Any other ideas? I've been Googling the problem all morning without success.

The reason I'm asking here is (1) you generally know what you're talking about and (2) I threw in the towel on ff2 due to painfully slow performance at Satelliteguys. This doesn't happen on newer browsers. But at least ff2 cookies worked correctly. I'm on 3.6.16 and performance here as elsewhere is very zippy, once I log in.

I just discovered that I do get the auto-login if I Save and Quit ff (dialog window appears if I have more than 1 tab open when quitting), and then restart it again. All the tabs I had when I quit come back as they were.

Tried Cookie Whitelist; didn't help either.

Last edited:
Hmmm. When you de-install Firefox, it asks if you want to delete your custom/personal information as well, and I have always said "No". This leaves bookmarks in place. Perhaps I should say "Yes" to start with a clean installation.

Fixed. What a PITA! Deinstalling/reinstalling without deleting all my custizations didn't fix the problem. I had to save my bookmarks, and then check the checkbox to clear everything on the deinstall, Then the clean install finally fixed it. Thanks for your suggestions. Everything is now zippy, including access to Satelliteguys on W98 here at work. I work for the federal government, where we try to do more with less. ;) I just hope we get a budget soon, or I may be doing more for nothing. :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)