Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

Tks again. I'll look more closely at home this evening. (Can't quite make it out in the receiver photo I took)...

I hadnt checked my numbers in weeks, but last week checked and my numbers were something like: H=136, L=106, A=116 or something (will verify when I get home). Set a 92mm fan blowing in on the right, and another pulling out on the left and the Low temp dropped by 10+ degrees so far (down to 95) but the average has barely moved. Guess I need to get more agressive with this.

How come nobody has done watercooling on this sucker!? :D

Also, if the HD is creating so much heat, and since its SATA, why not route a longer sata cable out the case and extend the power cable to it, and run it externally?

Last edited:
I'm sure moving the HDD outside the 622 would help the drive itself run cooler (assuming there's a difference in its new ambient) and also help the rest of the 622 run a bit cooler. But I'm convinced - without any actual data to back me up - that the HDD generates only about half the heat in the system. The power supply cranks out a fair share (one way to help your scenario would be to off-load the HDD power requirements from the internal PS to an external one - I think P. Smith reported that at about 20 watts), and the BC chips aren't so "cool" either...

Water cooling....hmmmm...... We might be able to run it in a fluorinert bath!

Last edited:
I've got some old ram heatsinks I didnt use, I might cut some up to size and put in the BC chips, and maybe a northbridge cooler on the main chip.

I'd do a peltier, but I think thats a bit much for this!

Using a Peltier device, I would worry about condensation unless there was a control circuit that took relative humidity into account.

Interesting about that internal fan. I have NEVER seen mine running during normal operation, even during the day when the ambient where the 622 is can reach 90F !! I know the fan is OK as it does spin-up to high speed briefly during an occasional reboot, but otherwise it is "dead" and useless.

Yesterday I bought a "micro fan" from Radio Shack (273-240), 40 mm, 12 volt, 1.6 watts, 10K-hour life which means it should last about a year. I also bought some heat sinks. My plan is to grease the heat sinks and place them on the top of the BCM7038 chip, then mount that fan to the side of the chip (there is a good bit of empty board real estate surrounding it) blowing across the sinks. Mounting is a concern and I know about static/ESD prevention.

I'll have some pictures and some before/after temp. readings for you in a day or two. I still plan to also mount 3 fans externally on the left side sucking the air out of the case.

More to follow...

Last edited:
I think I am going to get some of this. The only issue is that its permanent!

Maybe just some good AS5 on the main broadcom chip, decent heat sink, and fab up a spring mechanism to hold the heatsink down, using the hard drive rack rail for the upper support would work.

In this picture, to the left of the fan, is there room for another 40mm fan to be stacked in-line? I'm thinking about moving the HD to an external enclosure, as well as external power, and utilize the power connector for another fan (always on, Panaflo 40mm silent fan) and leave the stock fan in place. Not sure what issues the 622 would have if it couldnt operate its stock fan, might it think there is some hardware fault if it was removed? It does appear that the stock fan is missing a Signal wire though.

The heatsinks I found at Rat Shack are for bolting onto TO-220 devices. The smaller one is just a hunk of extruded aluminum cut into blocks (276-1368, $1.69 ea.) These are very light weight but probably have more thermal mass vs. the stamped ones. I think these would work well. My plan is to mount two of them to the 7038 with a small space in between with the fins aligned R/L. This would cover about 75% of the chip's surface. The grease itself will be enough to hold them in place as long as the unit is not turned-over, but I'll probably tack them down with a tiny spot of glue on each corner, maybe hot melt. Then I'll probably mount the fan vertically, probably to the right side of the chip with the air blowing to the left towards the PS, maybe by using some 2-sided tape on the board. That will put it underneath the HDD bracket and give me something to work with in terms of a better mount from above. I might even find a way to just suspend it from that bracket so it doesn't even touch the board, but I think I am more interested in blowing the air from the right to the left across the chip/heat sinks vs downward like most CPU coolers, so I need to mount it accordingly. That will also help get some air moving across the demodulator chips to the right that also run very hot. (I may eventually give them heat sinks as well, maybe the same ones.) One goal for me is that everything is "reversible", i.e., I can remove it all with no evidence that it was ever there. (Wonder why ??)

The space between the sinks is to allow me to leave the thermocouple in the same central place throughout the experiment. I'll "mount" it there with some grease to start and redo my readings. (IIRC, the center of the chip is NOT the hottest part!!), then repeat with just the sinks, then repeat with the fan blowing. I think that will show some significant improvement!

I will do nothing to the stock fan in case it ever gets called into action, but I figure the other measures I'm taking will ensure it a very modest assignment for the life of the unit!

More to come...

(Gee, I just love these little "design on the fly" projects! Great to 'talk' them through with others that share an interest in the outcome...!)

Last edited:
Just curious, I can't seem to shift over to the left screen so I call scroll down to check the temps. Any ideas why I can't? Thanks

I've raised my 622 (cut up a mouse pad & glued a couple of the small squares together) about 1/4 inch + put in a small USB fan on a flexible stalk that pushes air out of the entertainment cabinet (discussed in another thread here).

Before fan (6/21): Hi 183 / Lo 82 / Avg 120
After fan (7/16): Hi 127 / Lo 86 / Avg 114

Would be interesting to know the Dish algorithm for the average computation. Also strange that my Low is higer than before the fan.....

I wouldn 't disturb existing airflow from right side to left side of the DVR; right way to do increase existing flow and keep its original direction.

Last edited:
I just added some "shielding" along the right-hand side, by adding some foam to isolate cool air intake from any warm air exchange from the left-hand side. My most recent temps are; HT: 125, LT: 82, AT: 111. Not bad, and definitely getting into better territory than my 622's previous numbers. I'll probably need to give the new mod a few weeks before any improvement may be seen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)