Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

Smith said:
BTW, bhelms - can you check clearance between disk holder and top cover ? I have some idea, but can't play with that 622 anymore.
Hey, P. Smith - Sorry I missed your question last week - I'll check tonight. IIRC, it's about 1/4 inch but I'll measure to be sure.

Yeah - that label has also stopped me from some more aggressive experimentation...

Guys,

Here is my solution to keep the 622 cool. Staples has a promotion on it's Antec laptop cooler (USB operated). I got mine for $5 today (had a $10 gift certificate) after instant savings of $10 and a $15 rebate. Here is the link:

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&productId=101316&cmArea=SEARCH&prodCatType=1&langId=-1&storeId=10001&krypto=mfxq1nTSMWh0shUQOLdqejr6zGQ2Y8NL

I have my 622 on top of it. Can't even hear the fans and I have it on high (low/high setting). Here is what it looks like:

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 237
Re: Last weeks Peltier discussion. (Sorry my computer died)

Not a feasible application for this kind of cooling. The BCM CHIPS would be cooler, but the internal air temp where the Hard Drive is taking the ambient temperature would even be hotter.

The whole point is to keep the HDD cooler.

My current values:

High: 95 'F
Low : 68 'F
Aver: 82 'F

coolbreeze said:
Guys,

Here is my solution to keep the 622 cool. Staples has a promotion on it's Antec laptop cooler (USB operated). I got mine for $5 today (had a $10 gift certificate) after instant savings of $10 and a $15 rebate. Here is the link:

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&productId=101316&cmArea=SEARCH&prodCatType=1&langId=-1&storeId=10001&krypto=mfxq1nTSMWh0shUQOLdqejr6zGQ2Y8NL

I have my 622 on top of it. Can't even hear the fans and I have it on high (low/high setting). Here is what it looks like:
Does that work? What are your temp reading before and after using that? I raised mine up with some water bottle caps under each corner and it dropped the Avg. temp 2º to 116º. And Mark_AR, how did you manage an avg. 82º?
Never mind Mark. I found your mod thread.

Last edited:
Both of my 622s sit on a glass rack and in open air. I'm cheap so it stays fairly warm in the house during the summer months. I can't say either unit have given me trouble nor shown symptoms of overheating. So I guess I'll just leave 'em alone:

Main Level: air temp 80
HDD High Temp: 136
HDD Low Temp: 116
HDD Average Temp: 125

Lower Level: air temp 74-75
HDD High Temp: 129
HDD Low Temp: 111
HDD Average Temp: 116

My temps are as follows:

High 132
Low 114
Ave. 120

NOW I'M WORRIED - that seems to be too high. I think I better call service.

On a mater that may or may not be related my system re-booted itself twice this week after picture loss. Also, everything it recorded during a 24 hour period had the same name; the name was "MSNBC SPECIAL REPORTS". I had recorded that earlier but then everything else it recorded was given the same name. Go figure, huh?

Last edited:
riffjim4069 said:
Both of my 622s sit on a glass rack and in open air. I'm cheap so it stays fairly warm in the house during the summer months. I can't say either unit have given me trouble nor shown symptoms of overheating. So I guess I'll just leave 'em alone:

I've read most of this thread but I notice you mentioned "symptoms of overheating". What would be the manifestations of a overheating condition? Are we talking shutdowns, reboots, and/or actual image degradation? Just trying to determine how one can tell if the box is having heat problems.

Tvlman said:
My temps are as follows:

High 132
Low 114
Ave. 120

NOW I'M WORRIED - that seems to be too high. I think I better call service.

On a mater that may or may not be related my system re-booted itself twice this week after picture loss. Also, everything it recorded during a 24 hour period had the same name; the name was "MSNBC SPECIAL REPORTS". I had recorded that earlier but then everything else it recorded was given the same name. Go figure, huh?
These temperatures are quite typical for the earlier 622's. A little high for E or later. But unless you are definitely having problems, you need not worry.

Real problems mostly had to do with those machines that were closed in and had poor ventilation.

I have mine on 3/4" blocks on each side so there is plenty of normal air flow. There is nothing above it. I am not using an external fan.

Average Temp 112

High 125

Series E

With BOTH HDMI and Componet connected and active at the same time (I have 2 HDTVs).

Tvlman said:
Thanks TNSPRIN for the info. I have my VCR on top of my 622. It's lite but maybe I should relocate it.

And that makes me wonder
Why isn't there any vents on top No wonder just removing the cover helps
But who wants to do that
Right side vents too close to front Too small Bottom vents blocked by board
Left side vents dump out all the heat

Mine sits next to my amp well vented on top and been on almost 24/7 for 10 yrs

When I went to hook up the receiver Made the mastake of putting my hand under
and on the left side to slide it out
I made blocks out of the Styrofoam it came in painted black then
cut out the back of the center and have a small fan blowing mostly under and on the right side A remote temp. probe on the left side shows a high of 108

Average Temp 109
High 138
Series F

riffjim4069 said:

Well, yesterday the HDMI died on the main level receiver (D version). This will be the 2nd 622 I've had to replace due to HDMI. Currently, the component out is still working, but I expect it may fail shortly. Plus, my TV has 2 component and 1 HDMI inputs and I already have two component only devices in service. The symptoms of both HDMI failures were very similar and both died after around 2 months of use:

- Audio flaky for a few days (not very noticeable)
- Picture disappears...usually a soft reboot or two will correct the problem.
- Audio drops out completely...usually a hard reboot will recover the problem.
- Audio/Video drops and no amount of hard rebooting will recover from the problem.
- Component will work (at least for a while).

This receiver is in the open area and well ventilated so I'm not about to keep a fan running on it 24/7. However, I think I'm going to cut out quarter-inch rubber footpads to help air circulation. Anyway, I have DHPP so, other than losing a few recordings, there's no expense and not too much inconvenience.

Something I've noticed with HDMI on the B and D versions: the volume is about twice as loud as my TV, two other component devices, and the 622 with component out. I wonder is this is why HDMI is so problematic on these units? I also don't think this a problem with the unit overheating since all other functions continue to work perfectly...just HDMI...and the fans never kicks in nor does the unit power down. But perhaps the HDMI is the weakest link and the first device to fail when stressed.

I've been tracking temps on mine for 3 weeks now. Started out with no extra cooling, and my temps were 136H, 109L, 122A. Added a 92mm fan blowing in through the right side, and in 2 days, my temps were 136, 95, 120. Added a 2nd 92mm fan sucking air out of the left. 2 weeks after that, my temps were 136, 95, 109A.

Then I purchased one of those laptop coolers a page back in this thread, along with the 2 fans still, and after 2 days of that, my temps are 136H, 91L, 109A.

Ambient room temp is around 74. I'm hoping that over the next week or two the average temp will drop about 5-7 degrees. Still have not ventured into the box itself, but plan to put a 40mm fan in there that will constantly run, if there is room before or after the factory fan.

High all!

I have the chance to exchange my 622 ser. D for a ser. E.
They replaced my LMB Sunday to no avail, (still have the check switch screen error 004), but I can live with that for a while.
What are the advantages for moving on to the ser. E, and would anything be gained by waiting for a later model?

tnsprin said:
...But unless you are definitely having problems, you need not worry...
IMHO, this is a situation where it could very likely pay to take preventive measures! There is plenty of possible evidence in this thread that high temps and erratic performance or eventual hard failure MAY be related. Why not take one or more of the simple, low-cost measures just in case? I can't think of ANY downside to non-invasive measures like providing more clearance, and perhaps some additional boost to the cooling air with laptop coolers and fans, etc. YMMV...

Need advice on HD/ Hopper or something

Test RG6 for 3000Mhz using purchased Hopper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)