Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

Hi 127, Lo 73 (new install?), avg. 100. I did what gutter suggested and raised it off the unit underneath it by about 1/4". (That lower unit also produces some heat but not a lot.) 622 stands in free air, but gets direct sun in a warm room. I'll deal with that soon. I'm also going to get a fan on it, perhaps a laptop cooler. The unit is warm to the touch all over and a bit warmer in the left rear corner - I assume the HDD is there...

goaliebob99 said:
I

Mine is running at a high temp of 138 Degrees F
Low 114 Degrees F
Average 125 Degrees F

What is yours at???

I raised mine up with spacers and also went and got the USB fan that has been
talked about in different threads. Aimed it a the unit.

Between the two it dropped my average temp to between 91 and 95 depending on time of day.

Sam

I just ordered two of the ones from Surplus Computers from RandallA's link. I like the fact that they have a status light for each fan - hopefully there is actually a monitor for fan movement like in rack coolers so you can tell when a fan fails...

bhelms said:
I just ordered two of the ones from Surplus Computers from RandallA's link. I like the fact that they have a status light for each fan - hopefully there is actually a monitor for fan movement like in rack coolers so you can tell when a fan fails...

I'm gonna go take a look at it today after work, I'll get one if I like it.

RandallA said:
I'm gonna go take a look at it today after work, I'll get one if I like it.
I'm anxious for your report! I figured for the price it's tough to go wrong, 2 for the price of a single Targus unit that I linked to. Similar CFMs. The Sabrent unit draws a bit more power (0.25 watt). That might be a consideration if the USB power was from battery, but it shouldn't matter much powered from the 622. Now I just wonder how much of the CFMs are needed just to offset the added heat from providing the 1.3 watts the unit needs...!

My 622 average is about 112 (i'm on the 3rd floor of an apartment, it's always warm up here!). I used this:

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75004

I took the rubber feet off the bottom of the 622 so the metal case could sit on the metal plate of the fan (and transfer heat better) I also I taped closed one of the out vents to direct heat away from the 622 in one direction (it had one out on the front and one on the side). There are two speed settings, with it on low (I sit about 8 feet from the 622 and the sound on mute) I hear nothing, on high speed i can hear it a bit (though with the surround sound on I dont' hear it at all). I leave mine on low speed and if the temps rise much during the summer i'll probably turn up the fan to high.

I also bought an AC -> USB power adapter. I didn't want to add any other stress to the 622's USB / power system
http://www.ziplinq.com/retractable-cable-pwr.html

Most of the laptop coolers I looked at didn't match up well (size wise) or the plastic construction or fan noise.

It's worked well, i've been able to drop the average temp of my 622 by 15 degrees.

Last edited:
abricko - What's the price on that Antec unit? (The website confused me - is it really only $5 or is that just the cable?)

I agree about not adding additional load, even if only a couple of watts, to the 622's ps.

Glad to see others are taking the heat issue seriously! That 15 deg. avg. drop might very well double the 622's life. Good job...!

I paid like $30 ish for the cooler and the adapter was $5.

I bought both at the local frys... but it looks like outpost has the cooler:

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4734159?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

The thing I liked most about the antec unit was the construction, didn't seem flimsy (and all plastic) like all the others i looked at.
also try newegg.com they often have great prices / shipping deals.

you'll see that most of these are made of plastic, which is not an issue except for the grills over the fan part, most will break easily or if you put the wrong kind of pressure you'll end up with the 'baseball card in the spoke of your bike' sound.

Here are the results after using the Lapcool 3 on a 625. I know the 622 runs hotter but it will give you an idea. Set it up last night around 8:00 PM and these were the temperatures before:

High Temp 118
Low Temp 100
Avg Temp 109

Just checked now at 6:30 AM:

High Temp 118
Low Temp 84
Avg Temp 107

Looks like the Low Temp reading is more like the Current Temp reading. I assume that the Avg. Temp will come down after a few more days of having it. I'm happy with those readings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts