Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

Dirtydan said:
Does that Lapcool3 have an on and off switch?

Nope, it doesn't. But you can't hear the fans at all. I watch TV about 5-6 ft. away from the receiver and didn't hear the fans. Even if you're next to the receiver, you can't hear them, they are very quiet.

The Lapcool 2 has an adjustable fan speed, this one doesn't.
http://www.hardwarecooling.com/prod...ec_Lapcool_2_Notebook_Cooler_with_USB_2.0_Hub

My computers all have fans running 24x7 and they all run pretty stable. I overclock my computers so cooling is very important to me. When I saw the temps. in my 625, I freaked out and began researching for ways to cool it. Even though I've only had this Lapcool 3 for less than a day, I feel it that's going to do the job.

This site has a good selection of laptop coolers and some have reviews:

http://www.hardwarecooling.com/default.php/cPath/33

I think I might get the Bytecc Aluminum. Did you see anything wrong with it? Does the one you have seem better made then then the one you checked from Surplus Computers?

Surplus Computers had three different ones, the cheap one that cost $14.99 which I think it's garbage. Once you put the receiver on top, that thing was gonna break. The one that I got Lapcool 3 is pretty solid and quiet. They also had the Lapcool 2 which was $39.99 because it has adjustable fan speed and also a USB hub. I didn't really need any of that.

The Bytecc Aluminun looks like the cheap one I saw at Surplus Computers. I asked the guy to open the box for me and it just looked too flimsy. You can try it and see if it works but I wouldn't recommend it.

it will make a difference... having a fan running 24/7 is no big deal (especially if you can't hear it) and if it does burn out... oh well $20ish dollars gone, get a new one. I'd rather have one of those burn out than my 622!

The alum / metal ones will act as a heat sink drawing extra heat away from the case (which is as important for radiant heat... metal cases can be like a brick oven they warm up and will conduct heat after heat source is gone)... though if you get a metal laptop cooler take the rubber feet off the 622 so it can transfer heat to the metal plate of the cooler.

Last edited:
abricko said:
it will make a difference... having a fan running 24/7 is no big deal (especially if you can't hear it) and if it does burn out... oh well $20ish dollars gone, get a new one. I'd rather have one of those burn out than my 622!

I agree $20.00 is nothing. Just get a new one or just get new fans. Cooling fans are cheap.

DucTape said:
Seems like in some unit's the fan may not be engaging all the time to me or they are measuring the temp while the unit is working overtime on recordings or multiple HD material.

(Looking from the front of the unit)
The 2" muffin fan mounted to the right of the drive does not spin up and stay running all the time the unit is on.

I'd say the biggest heat issue of the 622 is the BROADCOM chip(BCM7038***) located on the mobo just to the left of the HD. It is putting out some serious heat. Actually it runs hot enough to remove your fingerprint if you touch it. I can see where the whole unit might flake out without proper ventillation. I don't know why it doesn't have a sink on it. It needs one BAD! The heat rises and cooks the HD from underneath. If the fan were to run continuously or at least on a variable thermistor, it would create some cross flow and push heat away from the drive, across the Broadcom chip, and then through the PS and finally out of the left side of the case.

The next area is the power supply regulator nearest the left side of the case. There is really no good cross flow ventillation even with all of the slots. The power supply needs a dedicated fan or needs to be removed from the case.

The SATA hard drive does get a little warm, but the mounting bracket sinks some of the heat away.

Since installing a 4" case fan directly over the BCM chip, it runs a *lot* cooler and adds no appreciable noise to the operation of the 622. I haven't had time to see if it makes a difference with the stability so far.

The 4" fan pulls a mere 140ma as opposed to the original fan that pulls 190ma. I've run it at 12v and 7.5v. At 7.5v, it is virtually silent while still providing good airflow.

High - 123'
Low - 71'
Average - 95'

*Disclaimer: Do not attempt to remove the cover of your LEASED ViP622.

DIY Fan Instalation info?

My 622 is running hot 138 high, 109 low, and 122 average! Is there a walk through on available on what type of fan, how to power it or plug it in etc? Thanks, Michael

Just wanted to update this thread. After just over 2 days of having the laptop cooler, here are my new temps.

Thursday night before I setup the laptop cooler:

High Temp 118
Low Temp 100
Avg Temp 109

Friday morning at 6:30 AM:

High Temp 118
Low Temp 84
Avg Temp 107

Sunday morning:

High Temp 118
Low Temp 78
Avg Temp 104

I'm really happy with the results.

RandallA - Any idea how often these readings recalculate and/or reset? I see your high temp is unchanged, but the low temp has dropped considerably (good job!) I thought both the high and low are "all time" readings, but obviously that's wrong. How do they reset?

TIA...

I don't really know how they reset. From what I've noticed, the Low is more like the Current temp and of course the Average will keep dropping as days go by. But the High hasn't changed and don't really know if it will.

I may try resetting the receiver to Factory Defaults and see if that will reset the temperatures.

My 622 temp keeps creeping up,114 avg. now, I guess I should break down and get me a cooler. Thanks for the information..

Last edited:
(Looking at the front of your rcvr)

For the short term, you might want to prop the left side up a little bit until you get a cooler. The power supply is on that side and will create a little convection.

Granted it will look stupid in your rack at an angle or wherever, but it beats toasting it.

If you have room, it would even be better to stand on right end with an air gap of at least 1" underneath. Make sure that you secure it from falling over and also unplug the 622 before moving it. You can crash the drive by moving it around while plugged in.

Try at your own risk. Not responsible for damage resulting from rcvr falling over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)