Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

The reported high temp dropped from 132 to 122 this morning after it sat at 132 for about a week!

I anticipate the low and average temp to drop accordingly later on this week.

You guys don't have to butcher your Vip622/722 to get low temps! I considered using P. Smiths method, but I didn't want to cut into my 622, and I think that's overkill anyway. Plus, you better not do that to a LEASED receiver. I give all sorts of honor to P. Smith for all the work he did, but I think it's far more than the average person needs to do to cool one of these receivers.

I now get MUCH cooler temps, it only took me a short time to cobble this up as a prototype, and it works perfectly! I could make it prettier, now that I know it works, but why bother? Here's what I did:

I had a Targus laptop chill pad, that I bought at a "2 for 1" sale. I got 2 of them brand-new on sale for less than $15 US. I took one of them apart, and stripped out the two thin 4" fans, and the wiring, complete with the usb cord. I plugged them in to make sure which way the air blows OUT.

Then, I took a regular metal coathanger, and used bathtub silicone caulk to glue them to the hanger, slightly apart, and so when I taped the hanger flat to the top of my VIP622, the fans would hang down from the hanger, and cover the air vent on the left side of the receiver (if you are facing the front) Think of this as sort of an "L" shape, with the fans forming the lower bar, and then the "L" laying down on top of the receiver. The fans blow INTO the receiver, and are plugged into the front USB jack. I did this over 1 month ago, and have been tracking the temps. It has been stable on these for that time:

100 TOP
89 Average
82 Low

Very quiet also!

My Vip622 is mounted into a fairly tight cabinet, and only has about 2 inches of air space on each side. It sits on top of an old Dish 6000 receiver (turned off, unplugged, would not be easy to remove it from the cabinet)). Above on another shelf, is a JVC HM-DH30000L D-VHS vcr (That thing is HUGE). Sitting on the JVC vcr, is a FTA receiver. Sitting on the FTA receiver, is a DVD player. So, kinda hot in there normally. By the way, all these are sitting on top of plastic 16 ounce pop-bottle caps for extra lift to their feet, as they are cheap, and give more space for circulating cooling air.

There is a 4" hole cut in the bottom left rear panel (facing from the front) of the cabinet. There is another hole cut in the top right rear panel for exit air. I used to have a filtered high-speed 120volt muffin fan blowing INTO this cabinet 24/7, at the lower right corner. Hot air would then rise, and go out the top hole. This kept the VIP622 at around 105-120F or less (before the muffin fan, it was at 140F!). Now, these cheap fans from a old laptop cooling mat, keep it MUCH, MUCH cooler, and I removed the muffin fan (WAY, WAY too noisy!).

__________ <<<< hanger taped on top of Vip622
! ===========
!1 vip622
===========

The "!" = fan side view blowing into vent, the number "1" is the side of the receiver. This doesn't format quite right, but it's just a quick diagram showing what I did.

BTW, primestar31, you better make a picture to convince us if not that ugly as we can deduct from your description ;).

Well, it is UGLY, but is in a cabinet, where it isn't seen. I did say this was a cobble-job prototype for now, as I was testing it, before making it "pretty". Now that I know it works, I can make it look nicer. Biggest advantage, is it doesn't violate any possible warranty. I own my receiver, but people who lease shouldn't cut holes in their's, and my method takes care of that.

I have now included a picture, as I was at work last night when I posted this, and didn't have my home pc. By the way, the muffin fan you can see in the back rear of the cabinet, is the older 120volt NOISY one I used to use. It's no longer plugged in, but I didn't remove it yet, until I was sure this new method worked fine, which it does.

Attachments

• PC080241.JPG
    PC080241.JPG
    380 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
you are blowing air INTO the exhaust vents on the left side of the receiver and you are getting those numbers? kudos to you, good man.

He did reverse air flow - actually cooling first the PS's heat-sinks and close by main CPU and MPEG decoder chips, then HDD; actually his setup should work and he is lucky - that original fan do not blow opposite way all the time, only during night reboots; else his method will raise temperature dramatically !

As to temps - I wouldn't exiting - wait for hot days !

Technically speaking the approach is homemade band-aid type, while I did and propose engineering solution.

I did new mod for 722 more easy and more aesthetically pleasured - instead of making big round hole, I made in 722's cover hundred small holes inside same dimension circle, did not used this time plastic rivets - the same size fan just pushed up by small metal shoulders and the cover siting on top of it with no gap.
So it looks sleek this time, smooth top [cover] with small vent holes.
But it doing same good job - cooling CPU, HDD, chips, sat tuners and PSU in proper manner: pulling room air inside with that level of pressure what is adequate to bring down temperature of all hot components inside the DVR.

BTW, primestar31, you better make a picture to convince us if not that ugly as we can deduct from your description ;).

As to concern Jim5506 in case of SATA/power cables reconnection - nope, I did check - it not big difference from original design, you can disconnect, connect, reconnect those cable.
Ah, last tidbit - original fan must be disconnected; you will never hear that revvy sound midnight ! :D

Don't forget of summer hot days, when original fan become works and it will build up hot air inside.

If you read between lines of my post above, you'll see direction of the mod -> PRODUCTION.

Don't forget of summer hot days, when original fan become works and it will build up hot air inside.

If you read between lines of my post above, you'll see direction of the mod -> PRODUCTION.

I live in michigan, the state with about 9 months of WINTER! My house is also situated in the woods, and stays fairly nice in temp. In the summer, when it's hotter, I rarely let the house get warmer than 82 degrees.

I'll wait and keep tracking the temps, before making this more permanent. So far, they have pretty much stayed within a few degrees plus or minus what I posted.

I just wanted something quiet first of all, and something very cheap and quick to put together. This was all of that. I only had to wait overnight for the caulk to set up, and then hook it all up on the receiver. I never even had to shut the receiver down, or disconnect all the cables and remove it from the cabinet.

primestar31: That other Dish receiver sitting underneath can't be helping the heat situation.

Smith: Pictures of your new mod?

primestar31: That other Dish receiver sitting underneath can't be helping the heat situation.

Smith: Pictures of your new mod?

The Dish 6000 receiver is shut down as I stated in my post above. I replaced it with the VIP622. I'm basically just using the 6000 for a shelf now, as with the cabling stuffed into that cabinet with all the devices, it would be a pain to remove it at present without messing something up.

Nothing really to show - just made bunch small holes instead of big original one, no rivets, no grill; the same fan, same metal cut of internal disk holder.
If I'll be at that place again, I'll try to post a picture. It's for other person.

HDD High Temp: 138 F
HDD Low Temp: 113 F
HDD Average Temp: 123 F

Is that bad? I haven't noticed any problems. Have I just been lucky?

Well, I sure am glad I read this thread. I always thought my unit was pretty well ventilated, but upon closer inspection I found the vents on the left side completely blocked off! I did some rearranging to free up some space, and plan to invest in one of those laptop coolers soon. Smith, as much as I'd love to satisfy your curiosity as to how hot my box can get, I think I'm going to take corrective action sooner rather than later. Sorry. :p

Well, I sure am glad I read this thread. I always thought my unit was pretty well ventilated, but upon closer inspection I found the vents on the left side completely blocked off! I did some rearranging to free up some space, and plan to invest in one of those laptop coolers soon. Smith, as much as I'd love to satisfy your curiosity as to how hot my box can get, I think I'm going to take corrective action sooner rather than later. Sorry. :p
You can go with the laptop cooler or a side mounted cooling fan like this one. But definitely get some cooling to that 722. I have been using a laptop cooler and my average temp stays between 105 and 107.

How big of a laptop cooling pad do I need to be looking at? Obviously the 722 is a bit bigger than your average laptop.

I've seen a couple folks on this thread mention the Antec Laptop Cooler

NoteBookCooler_Front.jpg

Is this big enough for the 722 to sit on it stably?

How big of a laptop cooling pad do I need to be looking at? Obviously the 722 is a bit bigger than your average laptop.

I've seen a couple folks on this thread mention the Antec Laptop Cooler

NoteBookCooler_Front.jpg

Is this big enough for the 722 to sit on it stably?

See this posting from Voyager6. The Ebay link he gives you, (click on the word ONE below) is to a fairly priced solution for cooling. It would be a lot less work on your side. Note, I have NO financial interest whether you buy his engineered fan's, or work up your own. But, he has a good workable solution. If you look at my posting up about maybe 16 posts to post #566, you'll see what I did with a laptop cooler, by tearing it apart. I faked the ebay guys solution, but it only cost me around $8.00, but doesn't look pretty. But then, neither does a FRIED receiver, so keeping it cool was my biggest concern.:

You can go with the laptop cooler or a side mounted cooling fan like this one. But definitely get some cooling to that 722. I have been using a laptop cooler and my average temp stays between 105 and 107.

See this posting from Voyager6. The Ebay link he gives you, (click on the word ONE below) is to a fairly priced solution for cooling. It would be a lot less work on your side. Note, I have NO financial interest whether you buy his engineered fan's, or work up your own. But, he has a good workable solution. If you look at my posting up about maybe 16 posts to post #566, you'll see what I did with a laptop cooler, by tearing it apart. I faked the ebay guys solution, but it only cost me around $8.00, but doesn't look pretty. But then, neither does a FRIED receiver, so keeping it cool was my biggest concern.:
I am using the Antec laptop cooler on my 622. I posted the Ebay link to show an alternative cooling method that many SatGuys are using. I picked up the Antec on sale at Staples for about $15. The cheap plastic laptop coolers do not hold up for long.

I have a 722 and it is definitely running hot, based on the standards of this thread. The problem I have is that mine is in a cabinet enclosure (surely contributing to the problem), and it doesn't have enough clearance to the side to add that nice ebay fan solution. In the back of the cabinet, there is 10"x4" opening to run the cables out, which provides the only ventilation.

I don't want to take it out of the cabinet, because I spent a lot of time setting things up in a clean, simple way. And I wouldn't care about the actual receiver dying (leased), except that I would lose my unwatched recordings; not to mention my custom guide setup. So what should I do? Would it be stupid to mount those ebay fan things to the cabinet's opening? Would that be an utter waste? Should I get a laptop cooling system?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)