Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

See, you have yours on the opposite side as me, I never had much luck on that side forcing it in or pulling it out.
I gotta try it at least for a few days.

Thats the thermaltake usb fan pulling air out of the back right, over the power supply. Dropped from 122 to 107 in the enclosed area.
I notice that your fan is not right up against the receiver like mine is because of the wire guard on the fan. It probably moves more air because of that but some of the air that it is moving is not coming from the receiver.

I wish there was a more precise way to tell how much a setup is helping with the temperatures on a leased receiver. I don't want to take it apart and my last leased receiver (of 8 months) had a HD failure. That's why I want to keep it cooler. My goal is to get the HD avg temp to 105, so I only have 6 more degrees to go.

Strange. Could just be a matter of cfm, my fan may pull more. Its pretty darn loud in a quiet room, but Im running it full blast.
Your fan pulls 47CFM @ 31dBA max. My original fan that I used for the first 5 days and gave me a 4 degree drop was just about the same (~40CFM @ 35dBA).

The new one I have is 24CFM at 14dBA (a great improvement on sound for a good airflow as well). It's well worth it to get a quieter fan, those loud ones drive me nuts. I'll report back in a few days on the changes.

Update 3/8/09: 104/77/93 F
Smith - you were the one who has the fan blowing into the receiver from the right side, correct?

I just got a new fan yesterday and did the same setup. I'm awaiting results for the next few days. Is there anything else worth checking?

-------------
EDIT: I felt the top of the receiver with the fan on the right and with the fan on the left and here are the results:

Right-side fan: Whole top left side of the receiver was warm especially near the power supply (almost hot), while the top right side was cold to the touch.
Left-side fan: Whole top of the receiver was cool (not quite cold) to the touch.

Conclusion: Fan on the left side seems much more effective at pulling heat out of the receiver.

Last edited:
Nope - read the thread - I did full analysis of the thermal problem: airflow, sensor, settings, etc and made own proposal for Dish, actually it works.
I did read it, thanks for the analysis. I totally agree with getting better airflow in there. Any recommendations on a leased unit?

I'm just confused at the conclusion difference. Is it more effective to leave the unit with more latent heat in it than less, or am I missing something?

So far I saw and like one best working approach for leased DVR - unscrew top cover and shift it back for inch, add on top a fun what will push air into area where are CPU and 7411 chip seen.

Say what you want, I don't need to prove anything to anybody, and I have no reason to lie about it. I simply want my receiver to stay cool, so as not to have heat related problems. I'm seeing the temps I stated with my fan mod, and I've shown you a picture of my simple fan mod. I don't care why it works, it just does.

That just proves to me that nobody needs to go to extreme mods to cool down their receiver. It's cheap and fast, so nobody is holding anybody back in trying it themselves.
That's kinda what I'm trying right now. Here's what I've noticed, even though you said you don't care why it works.

Once you start getting enough of the heat removed from inside the receiver with proper airflow, you have components running at a lower temp and generating a steady amount of heat, essentially equalizing the temperature at the sensor. It works because with the increased airflow (done right) everything in there is much cooler. The temperature readings reported are seen after the HD & power supply have cooled down from hours of proper airflow, not right after moving a fan to the left side with hot components adding to the temp sensor.

In short: whatever it takes to get cooler air moving around in the receiver.

K.I.S.S.

Temp measurements for 722

I recently purchased a double fan unit (per Charlie Shell's recommendation) and have had it installed long enough to get some decent temperature reduction. Per several others' requests I'm going to occasionally post my latest temperature readings.

Attachments

• VIP722 temps.xls
    14.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I recently purchased a double fan unit (per Charlie Shell's recommendation) and have had it installed long enough to get some decent temperature reduction. Per several others' requests I'm going to occasionally post my latest temperature readings.
I'm guessing that the fans are mounted close together and both on the left side of the receiver.

So far I saw and like one best working approach for leased DVR - unscrew top cover and shift it back for inch, add on top a fun what will push air into area where are CPU and 7411 chip seen.
4 inches, or 1 inch?

I tried shifting it back 1 inch and had no drop in temperatures after one day.

I'm still at:
H: 134
L: 93
A: 111

That's kinda what I'm trying right now. Here's what I've noticed, even though you said you don't care why it works.

Once you start getting enough of the heat removed from inside the receiver with proper airflow, you have components running at a lower temp and generating a steady amount of heat, essentially equalizing the temperature at the sensor. It works because with the increased airflow (done right) everything in there is much cooler. The temperature readings reported are seen after the HD & power supply have cooled down from hours of proper airflow, not right after moving a fan to the left side with hot components adding to the temp sensor.

In short: whatever it takes to get cooler air moving around in the receiver.

K.I.S.S.

Thanks, sounds plausible to me! I don't have access to a temp gauge or meter beyond the Dish built-in system, but here's what's going on now.

My present temps, 3/11/2009 8:23pm EST:

HDD high= 96F
HDD Low = 62F
Hdd Average= 87F

I haven't changed a thing. My $7.50 US Dual fan "engineered" fan system is still blowing INTO the left side, as described in my previous postings #582 several pages back.

Last edited:
My 622

High Temp 138
Low Temp 118
Avg Temp 125

I don't know if the high temps could have caused a problem that started a few weeks ago. TV1 on composite, S-Video and modulated was displaying video in black and white. I first noticed it using the slingbox. HDMI and any TV2 output still displays in color.

I moved the 622 a few minutes ago and left it unplugged for about 5 minutes and so far TV1 is back to color.

Did not know if anyone had seen anything like that or not?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)