Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

Just keep an eye on the dust build-up. A layer pf dust on either the HDD or that Broadcom chip will increase the heat in those devices and potentially shorten their life...

Post Your DVR Hard Drive Temps

Post your hard drive temps. MENU - 6 - 3 - Counters - PAGE DOWN until you see "03) HDD High Temp: 04) HDD Low Temp: 05) HDD Average Temp:" Please include your DVR model as well as ambient temps, fan noise level and how much ventilation. Use this format:

Code:
1.) Model:          [B]ViP722k[/B]
     HDD High Temp: [B]140F[/B]
     HDD Low Temp:  [B]113F[/B]
     HDD Avg. Temp: [B]120F[/B]
     Ventilation:   [B]Have other devices sitting on top. Otherwise, good ventilation, 
                    all sides are clear,  not in a cabinet.[/B]
     Fan Noise Lvl: [B]Virtually Silent[/B]
     Ambient Temp:  [B]71-75F[/B]

2.) Model:          [B]ViP722k[/B]
     HDD High Temp: [B]140F[/B]
     HDD Low Temp:  [B]78F[/B]
     HDD Avg. Temp: [B]125F[/B]
     Ventilation:   [B]All sides are clear. Not in a cabinet.[/B]
     Fan Noise Lvl: [B]Usually has two modes. Mostly stays on very low, no louder than a 
                    pin drop. Other mode is very slightly louder.[/B]
     Ambient Temp:  [B]68-72F[/B]
I feel like my 722k's run a little hot, but I want to see if other people have similar temps.

Oh. Looks like I'm a little late to the party. Thread from 2006. Last post 10 months ago. 93 pages. Temps scattered all over the place, in no particular format. Looks like a great candidate, how did I ever miss it :) .

Seriously, I think I'd rather wait for replies in this thread, lol.

EDIT: Though lurking around in that thread, after scanning through a bunch of pages, it seems I'm not the only one with these kinds of temps. Most drives shouldn't go anywhere near 131F-140F, I feel like 120-125F is too high. Why would DISH have them running 24/7 at these temps?

Last edited:
merged a couple posts into the big thread

Mmkay... Just thought it would make a little more sense to have a new thread that's not 93 pages long and use a format that is actually easy to understand instead of sifting through hundreds of posts while bumping an ancient thread... But alrighty... Why not just sticky it if it's the only topic that can be used to discuss such matters?

Whatev... Anyway, those of you with 722k's, what are your Highs, Lows, and Avg.'s? Ambient temps? Fan noise level? How much ventilation?

Whatev... Anyway, those of you with 722k's, what are your Highs, Lows, and Avg.'s? Ambient temps? Fan noise level? How much ventilation?
Model 722k located in enclosed closet with 5 x 50mm fans attached to the vents on the side of the 722k which are running 24/7 at about 20 db.
This sound level is low enough to not be heard when the closet door is closed.

HDD High Temp: 116
HDD Low Temp: 98
HDD Average Temp: 105
Ambient Air Temp: 80 - 85

Model 722k located in enclosed closet with 5 x 50mm fans attached to the vents on the side of the 722k which are running 24/7 at about 20 db.
This sound level is low enough to not be heard when the closet door is closed.

HDD High Temp: 116
HDD Low Temp: 98
HDD Average Temp: 105
very nice

I have a 722k. I bought one of those cheap notebook coolers off of ebay. Also a USB power adapter to plug this into. There are 3 small fans blowing up through the 722k. It brought my temps down to an average 105. The receiver is also in a TV stand encloser along with a Roku box and wireless router (client bridge). I installed a 120mm computer fan to the back to draw the heat out and everything is running COOL. Wayne

Those are really good numbers, Billdds.

I have a 622 sitting on top of the 722k with the same fan setup.

This was one of first 622's made and has had no problems. I'd like to think keeping it cool had a lot do with it's longevity.

622 temps:

HDD High Temp: 118
HDD Low Temp: 96
HDD Average Temp: 102

Well my receivers seem to be stable again so I'll just assume my temps are normal.

Hard drive life span is directly related to its temperature.

Any steps you take to assist air moving through the unit will help and the internal fan is pretty close to useless. There are plenty of posts on this forum about hard drive failure and heat control is one step you can take to minimize pain in the future.

Hard drive life span is directly related to its temperature.

Any steps you take to assist air moving through the unit will help and the internal fan is pretty close to useless. There are plenty of posts on this forum about hard drive failure and heat control is one step you can take to minimize pain in the future.

While this is true, Google's research has shown that too low of a temperature can be more detrimental than too high.

http://static.googleusercontent.com...abs.google.com/en/us/papers/disk_failures.pdf (page 6)

Now, the temps you are seeing, definitely show lower failure rates, according to Google, however the average temps I am seeing (120-125) do not appear to pose a threat to a very great extent. We're talking about a 1% AFR (Annualized Failure Rate) versus a 2% AFR. Yes, technically, that's twice as many failures, but really, not a big difference.

Though I would feel better if the receivers would keep the HDD temps lower, and I question why it is that the internal fans are so useless, I might look into adding some fans to them, however I would like to see what other people's temps are with stock cooling.

Looks like the sweet spot is between 95 & 115 degrees. Better not keep it in the freezer.

As to what is normal for the 722k, my hard drive ran about 10 degrees warmer without the fans. The hard drive worked fine but would spontaneously reboot during heavy usage. I think the concern about the hard drive is valid but the Broadcom chip temp is probably the main concern. With the cover off mine was always around 140 degrees. IMO this chip could really use a heat sink - but what do I know?

Hi 140
Low 107
Avg 122
Mine's a bit warmer than I would like but not willing to add the noisy fans to cool it anymore than it is. It's in an open cabinet that has no flo constrictions. I had fans on it when I had it in a cabinet that had a closed in glass front and closed in back. I had fans in the back blowing air in and sucking it out.

Last edited:
Looks like the sweet spot is between 95 & 115 degrees. Better not keep it in the freezer.

As to what is normal for the 722k, my hard drive ran about 10 degrees warmer without the fans. The hard drive worked fine but would spontaneously reboot during heavy usage. I think the concern about the hard drive is valid but the Broadcom chip temp is probably the main concern. With the cover off mine was always around 140 degrees. IMO this chip could really use a heat sink - but what do I know?

Yeah - it probably should have a heatsink, but most chips are fine at 140 degrees. I'm guessing 140 is the external temp though, and that is rather high, but internally it's okay. If that's the external temp, then the internal temp could be 150-160. At 160 I'd say it's pushing it. Overall, my 722k's are stable, so far no reboots upon recording since those last couple of incidents, however I've noticed they're rebooting when I use DISH Online sometimes. I'm beginning to think these are software issues rather than hardware issues.

Hi 140
Low 107
Avg 122
Mine's a bit warmer than I would like but not willing to add the noisy fans to cool it anymore than it is. It's in an open cabinet that has no flo constrictions. I had fans on it when I had it in a cabinet that had a closed in glass front and closed in back. I had fans in the back blowing air in and sucking it out.

Thanks for the reply. Though your one 722k is a relatively small sample size, reading back in this thread, and seeing your temps, is leading me to believe that my temps are normal, and as designed. So I'll just ignore temps for now. I think my 722k's are OK. That's why I was asking though, as my 722k's seemed to be rebooting a lot lately, seemingly both on the same day, though I am leaning towards software bugs rather than hardware issues.

Thanks guys!

What kind of fans did you use? I have one small one but it does not seem to help. How much background noise do the fans make?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts