GEOSATpro Avoiding the boot loop

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
If I follow the instructions in the "How to avoid the MicroHD "Boot Loop" by properly updating your firmware (and still keeping your old channel and satellite lists)" sticky above, will I then be immune from boot loops?

I've had to rescue the MicroHD several times after going into boot loops following edits of the channel database in a PC.

As a result, I haven't touched any of the update functions since the Jan 31 firmware.

Now I have a C-band dish and more programming, I want to start renaming channels, sorting them and putting them into favorites lists .... but I'm scared to do that because of the boot loop hassle.

Would that sticky solve it? Or do I need to update the firmware and store everything again from scratch?

Cheers,

Nobody can "guarantee" you'll be immune to the boot-loop, BUT, if you follow the instructions carefully, you should not cause an immediate boot-loop.

As far as I can see from reading all the threads, the BIGGEST cause of boot-looping, is IF a person deletes a satellite out of the list of sats WITHOUT deleting any scanned-in channels on that particular satellite FIRST.

I thought I remembered reading that there was an update in the firmware that stopped boot loops - as long as a new database was in use?

I'm sure Geosat advertised that in an update at one point as a new feature.

Ah well, here goes nothing ... :)

Thanks!

I thought I remembered reading that there was an update in the firmware that stopped boot loops - as long as a new database was in use?

I'm sure Geosat advertised that in an update at one point as a new feature.

Ah well, here goes nothing ... :)

Thanks!

There was in fact some firmware changes that were supposed to permanently stop boot-loops. Then more boot-loops happened. I'm sure some were due to old firmware, but doesn't seem like that caused all of them. So who knows for sure?

This problem is garbage. I deleted a sat., then got the reboot problem. I then sent it in to get fixed because the USB adapter cable wouldn't work with Alieditor (could not open port). That costed me 20 bucks and two weeks down time. The reboot problem happened again even though I had not deleted any satellites (and the firmware was up to date because the company had just done it a few weeks earlier). I did get Alieditor to work this time because I reversed the green and white leads on the USB adapter. (So what's up with that?)

I think it's irresponsible of this company to expect that owners of this equipment are expected to routinely open up the box to fix it. And if they are, they should at least supply the proper cable to do so.

I regret buying the MicroHD.

PrimeStar,

You are correct, the loop happens when people do not follow available instructions. I have had the receiver since early 2011, the very first samples and I have yet to boot loop it. I update to every new firmware.

Also, we have sold thousands of these receivers, yet only a certain number of them experienced boot-loop. There is a software flaw that has been documented and is being studied, but it doesn't brick the receiver, and there is nothing wrong with hardware. So, hopefully we will learn how to drive this box and use it to full capacity :)

There was in fact some firmware changes that were supposed to permanently stop boot-loops. Then more boot-loops happened. I'm sure some were due to old firmware, but doesn't seem like that caused all of them. So who knows for sure?

I have 2 of these units and am know as a product / software breaker. I have not done all the heavy stuff to mine as others have - particularly I have not looped mine yet. For what it was designed to do - really a niche market for tiny mobile apartments, it works good. Mine is powered down at least 3 times a day (I never leave it plugged in when starting or stopping the engine, so I do not wipe out the memories)... One has traveled about 13000 miles and been set up in 26 states.
I admit, I do not do motors, but I do dishes and Windows (GROAN!). I do have cheat sheets that I use when I do stuff that I do not do every week. (The pushed updates used to lock mine up, but never in a boot loop.)

PrimeStar,

You are correct, the loop happens when people do not follow available instructions. I have had the receiver since early 2011, the very first samples and I have yet to boot loop it. I update to every new firmware.
:)

What I did yesterday was add satellite and a channel. I then "unselect" the satellite since these was only 1 channel I could get from the sat. (in the satellite list removing the "heart" - btw this is AMC 116 which is directly south of me so I used it to line up on.) (And I see no where in the small black user manual that says not to do this, nor delete a satellite for that matter.)

When I scrolled through that particular satellite on the channel menus (skipping through AMC 116, as it was not on the list), the unit rebooted.

O.K., so then I figured I could live with it by leaving AMC 116 "selected" and did so, even though all I get is a pattern. Everything was finally working fine, satellites lined up etc..., I got one good evening of performance after 2 months of screwing with it and I was finally happy.

So today I get up and the motor (SG 6100) won't go east beyond 1.9 degrees west (I have done nothing to the units since I used it last night) - another problem I have to work on now. I am no stranger to technology, and I understand everything has a learning curve. But this is incredibly frustrating.

ps. I got the motor problem resolved, but not exactly sure how I did it (reset the motor, unplugging receiver, etc..., ) or why it was not functioning.

Last edited:
I bo't the MicroHD when it first came out, so I've had it about 2 years (I think). I looped it once recently and had to go back to the AZBox HD+ for awhile. I had the most recent updates installed and had installed according to the recommendations.
The MicroHD is small and easy to use. It does a better job of driving the SG2100 motor than the AZBox. I was able to restore the MicroHD after looping it and the cord was inexpensive shipped from Hong Kong. MicroHD is the 'go to' box if I want to watch tv and I'd buy another in a moment if I bricked the first one.
The MicroHD does not pick up Montana PBS on 125.0W as well as the AZBox does. But then AZBox signal from RTV on 137.0W bounces all over the place and stutters and stalls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)