Openbox Openbox S9 Boot Problem

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Hey guys, one of my S9 receivers has horked up. When I try to turn it on "ON" and the red led in the display are both blinking and it won't start? IIRC those things did have some power supply problems in the past so I'm hoping one of you can tell me how to fix it?

Any help?

Thanks

Hey guys, one of my S9 receivers has horked up. When I try to turn it on "ON" and the red led in the display are both blinking and it won't start? IIRC those things did have some power supply problems in the past so I'm hoping one of you can tell me how to fix it?

Any help?

Thanks

Maybe this?

Reactions: Lone Gunman
Put my meter on that thing today and checked the voltage at the RF out to the LNB and the voltage peaked at around 19v when it first came on and then the power turned off and it went to zero and back on was up and down and up and down, etc. It's cycling off and on at about twice a second +/-.

I've got two caps that are somewhat domed on top but the 3rd one isn't. Two that are domed are 10v 1500uf and the one that's not is 35v and 470uf.

It's acting like there is a circuit breaker on it that keeps on resetting?? If that's possible??? What do those look like and where is it if there's one in there?

Thanks.................

Here's a picture I just took. The two bulged caps are in the foreground.

PB191196.JPG

Update:

Well, I got up this morning and decided to take the power supply out of the one that wasn't working and try it in the one that was working and I got the same blinking display as with the other one. And after looking at the power supply out of the working one it "appears" that those two caps in the working one had been replaced because they have a different brand name on them than the others. And FYI, I purchased both these S9s used years ago so someone probably changed them before I got it.

So, I just went on Fleabay and ordered what I need and we'll see how that works out.

Oh, and thanks for the help!!

Just saying..................

Update:

Well, I got up this morning and decided to take the power supply out of the one that wasn't working and try it in the one that was working and I got the same blinking display as with the other one. And after looking at the power supply out of the working one it "appears" that those two caps in the working one had been replaced because they have a different brand name on them than the others. And FYI, I purchased both these S9s used years ago so someone probably changed them before I got it.

So, I just went on Fleabay and ordered what I need and we'll see how that works out.

Good luck! Let us know the reults. :)

Update:

Hopefully the new caps you ordered are at a little higher voltage rating than the originals.

Hopefully the new caps you ordered are at a little higher voltage rating than the originals.
Nope. The ones that have been replaced in the other unit are the same specs as the originals, just a different manufacturer. I found 5 pieces for $5 shipped and I should have them by Thursday and I'll have a few extras. :thumbup

Just saying...............

UPDATE: Got parts this AM and I'm watching TV on 103W as I write this. Those new caps were about a quarter inch TALLER than the ones I took out but the specs were the same. Maybe that will help them last, hey.

And on another note, I've got another question about video on this receiver but I'll wait and post that in it's own thread some time this weekend.

And thanks guys!!

Just saying...............

I'll be using my S9 and microHD again once I get a dish up since my Edision OS MIo+ is finished. Funny how these old ones just keep on working.
And don't forget how inexpensive these old ones were compared to some of the other stuff out there. The most expensive receivers that I own (IIRC around $250 each) are an AZ Box Elite and an AZ Box Ultra HD and they both were junk years ago and now sitting on the shelf collecting dust! Both the S9s I have were purchased used @ around $70ea if I remember correctly. And two of my Micro HDs were less that that, in fact, the last one I got was free! ;)

Just saying....................