Awesome VIP211

ptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Palm Coast Florida
Just installed my VIP211 and I'm about to take a hammer to the 811. This box looks really nice and total setup time including activation took less than 15 minutes and 10 of those were just BS'ing with HD Tech support. No I can't wait to get my 622 next week.

The menu and guides are so much better than my 811 & 921 and offer expanded information.

I won't say to much more as I know others have reviewed this unit. Even though I purchased mine out right, those of you with 811's take the $49 upgrade after the first (existing customers) and you will be happy.

Be nice to the Help Desk guys as they have been told very little on just about everything. They have not even been told which HD locals will be available on Feb, 1st. They only know it's going to be a rough day.

Glad you had a positive experience. I get mine tomorrow and hopefully I won't have any problems since this will be the first time adding HD to my account.

Mine has been behaving just fine for almost 2 weeks. The biggest issue I had was activating it. Well actually activating it was easy, but getting the voom channels activated again on my account threw their computer for loop as my account was not documented that I had a 61.5 dish installed. So it tried to schedule an install for me and apparently it took the hand of the almightly Himself to cancel the install in the system.

i installed about 10 VIP211 and only problem i have is activating it. it takes at least 2 calls and couple of re sets. but so far no other problems.

volkodav said:
i installed about 10 VIP211 and only problem i have is activating it. it takes at least 2 calls and couple of re sets. but so far no other problems.

I had a similar issue after rebooting it still said the unit was not activated. I told the tech and right when I heard him hit a couple of keys and then saw the authorized screen.

I am having one problem but it seems to be from the HDMI cable. I get glitches every once in a while. They last just a few millisecond's but I loose picture and sound. I will hook up the Component cables today and see.

Can someone answere a question for me. I called yesterday to "upgrade" to the 211, plus I had the VOOM package added. The tech guy told me that I would have to have my dish swapped out for a 1000, I have a super dish now. I thought Super dish was the top's and 1000 was a step down. Do I have that wrong?

which is better SUPER or 1000

Which dish is better 1000 or a super dish. I currently have a super dish but they are coming out to swap out the super for a 1000 so I can have VOOM added. (i up graded to a 211 and had the new VOOM package added.)

There are 2 types of Superdish's. The 105 Superdish is for folks that have their local channels on the 105 satellite. It has 3 lnbs that point to the 105, 110, and 119 satellites. It will not get the Voom channels. The 121 Superdish is also for folks that have their locals on the 121 satellite. It is also used for international programming. It also points to 121, 119, and the 110 satellite. Voom channels cannot be viewed with this dish either. You can only get the Voom channels on the 61.5 or 129 satellite. The Dish 1000 looks at the 110, 119, and 129 satellites. If you have locals or subscribe to internationals that are on eithe the 105 or 121 satellite then you will still need your superdish. If this is the case then you will need a DPP44 switch and a second dish that points to either 61.5 or 129. Your location in the US and line of sight will decide which satellite the second dish will point to.

Ok, the tech said something to the effect that my locals and voom channels were on a different satellite, I want to say 120, and for that reason they would need to swap out the super for the 100. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to have 2 dishes on my roof.

dail24 said:
Ok, the tech said something to the effect that my locals and voom channels were on a different satellite, I want to say 120, and for that reason they would need to swap out the super for the 100. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to have 2 dishes on my roof.

You will need 2 dishes on your roof if your locals are on the 121 superdish and you want the Voom channels.

So far, my OTA experience is that the 211 OTA tuner for HD is superior to the 811.

I have had fewer dropouts than with the 811, and only occasional pixelation.

Any others care to share their OTA experiences?

Cheers,

John Kotches said:
So far, my OTA experience is that the 211 OTA tuner for HD is superior to the 811.

Cheers,

Geez John. I had completely convinced myself that I didn't need to upgrade right now (much to the delight of the Misses, I might add), and then you have to go and say things like that about OTA.

Now I'm going to have to think about upgrading again, but I'm going to tell her it's all the fault of some guy on the message boards! :)

John Kotches said:

Cheers,

I will will activate mine tonight when I get home from work so I will let you know tomorrow. The OTA tuner in my Sony tv seems to be doing a great job by itself. I can only hope that the 211 is just as good or better.

My HDMI output just smoked, still have component working. I also noticed that when I plug in the phone line it kills my entire phone system. Found that in calling Tech Support, sounds like they have heard this before. Waiting for a call back from Dish, Retailer won't take it back.

"My HDMI output just smoked. I also noticed that when I plug in the phone line it kills my entire phone system."

WTF? and that's one of the receivers that we're all waiting to lease. Way to go E*.

I just got my VIP211 activated and hopefully my HDMI doesn't get smoked. Any way, everything went smooth except the tech that activated my receiver had to put me on hold twice for about 5 minutes each because he was trying to figure out how to remove the 61.5 dish install. This is the first time I have had HD and man it looks good. I will probably be up all night watching stuff. I only wish I was watching HD with the 622;)

John, the OTA tuner on the 211 is about equal to my Sony's built in tuner. My TV doesn't have a signal meter so it's hard to compare the two but all of my locals are programed to include The Tube music channel. Now I can't wait for the superbowl:D

The tech added the HD channels and Voom for 1/2 price for 6 months. He was unsure if I would get the new HD channels come Feb 1 or if I would have to call in and get a "Metal Package." Does anyone know?

Dishpointer said:
The OTA tuner in my Sony tv seems to be doing a great job by itself. I can only hope that the 211 is just as good or better.
Of all the OTA tuners I have (Mitsubishi w/int QAM/ATSC, Samsung w/int QAM/ATSC, VOOM STB, Dish 811, and Dish 942) my Sony GWIV is slightly better than any of them IMO; it's a very sensitive and highly reliable tuner. The 942 is very close so the 211 should be just as good.

Does the Dish 211 display Signal-to-Noise (SNR) ratio? This is one very useful feature on the old VOOM STB.

Dishpointer said:
There are 2 types of Superdish's. The 105 Superdish is for folks that have their local channels on the 105 satellite. It has 3 lnbs that point to the 105, 110, and 119 satellites. It will not get the Voom channels. The 121 Superdish is also for folks that have their locals on the 121 satellite. It is also used for international programming. It also points to 121, 119, and the 110 satellite. Voom channels cannot be viewed with this dish either. You can only get the Voom channels on the 61.5 or 129 satellite. The Dish 1000 looks at the 110, 119, and 129 satellites. If you have locals or subscribe to internationals that are on eithe the 105 or 121 satellite then you will still need your superdish. If this is the case then you will need a DPP44 switch and a second dish that points to either 61.5 or 129. Your location in the US and line of sight will decide which satellite the second dish will point to.
I just wonder if EchoStar X (110) will replace 61.5 for us folks in Fl. If it does, Dish 500 will pick up the VOOM chanels and LoLs

Just got two leased 811's upgraded to VIP 211's yesterday. Multiple calls had to be made to get them activated. They look great. I don't have OTA because I get absolutely no signal where I live. However, even the Dish SD Locals look better with these receivers! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)