AZ Box Elite/Ultra Wireless

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Been a while since this was brought up and I was reminded of it again yesterday when I fired up the old Ultra to watch a 4.2.2 on CBS. I was wondering if anyone found a "reasonably priced" USB wireless adapter for these old STBs besides the over priced ones that "you know who" was selling some time back? Maybe if someone knows what chipset is in one of those it would help find one that way?

Anyone heard anything on this or know what chipset is supported in them?

Thanks

I remember looking into this several years ago and there were very limited options for a USB wifi dongle which was supported.

You can have a look here for some info on chipset

Old Satelliteguys forum post here

WaveFocus wireless b/g/n USB adapter for AzBox

Simplest solution is probably to use a powerline ethernet adapter.

I think I did find out what chipset it has from one of your links. Looks like an RT2870 and it also looks like a Belkin F5D8053 USB dongle has that chipset. Problem is it's about the same money on Amazon that the guy on fleabay from Canada charges, who is banned here BTW.

The other link is to a device that using the existing LAN connection to adapt it to wireless, BUT, my Elite LAN connection no longer works. I think lightning got it about 3 or 4 years ago.

Ennywho, just thought I'd bring it up again to see if there was anything else available that had a decent price.

Oh, and thanks for the links!

Its been a long time but I do recall trying out a wifi usb dongle which supposedly had the correct chipset but still didn't work. You can find a Belkin F5D8053 USB dongle on Ebay for ~10 dollars so maybe that's the best option. If it works let me know and I'll get one as well. ;)

Assuming the receiver has an Ethernet connector,you could use an older Buffalo Air Station.(Older models are quite cheap) The receiver will just think it is hardwired and the Air Station will take care of the Wireless part.

I have 2 older Air Stations that I use for Linux computers...never have to worry about compatible wireless drivers that way.They are much more robust than any usb wireless adapters that I have tried.Also I like the fact that I can set the Air Station up higher for a stronger signal compared to a short antenna on the back of the PC.

Here's a used one on Ebay for $30 including shipping to give you an idea what to look for.At least one of mine was bought used over 5 years ago:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buffalo-Tur...632372?hash=item3ac050edb4:g:sK4AAOSwyjBW4bUy

Oh,one thing: You MAY need a PC to config the Air Station first.After the first set-up,any thing you attach it to will just work on your network.

Been a while since this was brought up and I was reminded of it again yesterday when I fired up the old Ultra to watch a 4.2.2 on CBS. I was wondering if anyone found a "reasonably priced" USB wireless adapter for these old STBs besides the over priced ones that "you know who" was selling some time back? Maybe if someone knows what chipset is in one of those it would help find one that way?

Anyone heard anything on this or know what chipset is supported in them?

Thanks

I'm using a wrt54g router with my Elite and Ultra connected to it. The router has dd-wrt firmware installed so that it can be used as a bridged repeater that connects to the main router. Works great. Any router that can be upgraded to dd-wrt firmware will get the job done - I think tomato firmware will get the job done also. There was another ethernet attached wifi adapter that I once used that I got from Walmart - I think it was a Netgear (model unknown). Anyway, I got a couple of other devices hooked up to the WRT54G router including a non-wifi smart TV - Netflix works great on the smart TV in HD 5.1.

After seeing that you're ethernet port doesn't work, all I can suggest is getting something like a
D-Link DUB-E100 USB 2.0 Fast Ethernet Adapter
and a wifi repeater bridge such as a router or
NETGEAR Universal N300 Wi-Fi to Ethernet Adapter (WNCE2001)

UPDATE: Belkin F5D8053 USB Wireless N Adapter WORKS WITH MY AZBOX ULTRA!! Haven't tried it on my Elite yet but if it works on the Ultra it "should" work on the Elite also. I'll try that one as soon as I get time.

With all the problems I've had with channel lists on this Ultra, it's good to do at least ONE thing works correctly for a change!!

UPDATE............again: Just set this wireless connection up in the Elite I have with the Wired LAN connection doesn't work. So this WiFi dongle works with both the Ultra and the Elite!! :clapping

Last edited:
I don't need wireless right now but I picked one up for 10 dollars. Thanks Lone Gunman.

Reactions: Lone Gunman
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts