Azbox and internet connections

tonydix

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
Bocas del Toro, Panama
We went through 24 hours of internet interuption ( or so I thought ). After hassling the ISP 3 times still no web browsing. I was using the Azbox and was in the setup menu when I noticed that the summary page said it was connected to the internet !!
I double checked and asked the box to get the correct time from the time server which it did very promptly.
I went back to the pc and checked again still no web surfing !!
Does the Azbox use a different port for its time connection
How else could the time stream be open but the web stream is closed from the same router
Thanks
Tony

We went through 24 hours of internet interuption ( or so I thought ). After hassling the ISP 3 times still no web browsing. I was using the Azbox and was in the setup menu when I noticed that the summary page said it was connected to the internet !!
I double checked and asked the box to get the correct time from the time server which it did very promptly.
I went back to the pc and checked again still no web surfing !!
Does the Azbox use a different port for its time connection
How else could the time stream be open but the web stream is closed from the same router
Thanks
Tony

Hi Tony,

The AZBox doesn't use anything unique as far as porting goes here, but your PC might just not be connecting to your router correctly. Maybe a security or firewall setting (or even the IP addressing etc) has been altered or the signal strength (if you are using a WiFi connection to the PC) is poor.

Have you tried the web browser on the AZBox or the You-Tube feature? You-Tube on the AZBox may not be a good indicator or test as they seem to frequently block this, but it doesn't hurt to try to check it. Then, use the INTERNET option in the SETTINGS/SETUP menu and run the SPEED CHECK on the AZBOX. I don't use the WEB BROWSER on the AXBox much, but if you open it up, it should go to the HOME page for azbox.com. If it goes there, then you ARE connected to the internet and the trouble lies with your PC setup and its connection to your router.

Check out your PC's IP config setup first and see what your PC has everything set to. If that is all correct, investigate your router and firewall/security settings. If you are using WiFi for your PC, try connecting directly with an ethernet cable if you can and see if that makes any difference.

RADAR

Tony,
I have been having similar trouble with my router, sometimes it would work fine then one of the computers would not see the WAN but worked fine within the lan. I played around with the mac address filtering etc and nothing helped. Re-setting the router back to scratch (factory) and re-loading the settings I had saved after initially setting up the router returned things to normal. I am using DD-WRT on a Cisco WRT54GL for wireless. One day I will have to upgrade :(
-C.

The Azbox uses rdate (part of busybox utilities) to sync the time and it's tcp port 37. If you didn't change the default time server it connects to time.mit.edu

Having said that. Rdate is rather antiquated and for me I needed to setup my own time server since my ISP blocks tcp port 37 and the busybox utilities don' provide the UDP counter part.

The Azbox uses rdate (part of busybox utilities) to sync the time and it's tcp port 37. If you didn't change the default time server it connects to time.mit.edu Having said that. Rdate is rather antiquated and for me I needed to setup my own time server since my ISP blocks tcp port 37 and the busybox utilities don' provide the UDP counter part.
It's unlikely that the ISP blocks outbound traffic unless someone has been infected by a spambot. ISP's will generally allow clients to use foreign servers (outbound connections) but it's more likely that an ISP will block inbound connection attempts because most ISP's frown on subscribers running their own servers on their network. I wouldn't expect them to block outbound connections used for time sync or HTTP or FTP. Anyway, it could be an issue with Tony's firewall. He'll have to disable the router's firewall long enough for a test. But, if he has a desktop/laptop PC where all his client applications (IE, Firefox, FTP, etc) are getting out OK then it's unlikely to be a firewall issue. Maybe he needs to re-install his Azbox firmware to fix the problem.

Web browsing using the azbox is an exercise in futility anyway. It's way too slow and useless IMHO.

It's unlikely that the ISP blocks outbound traffic unless someone has been infected by a spambot. ISP's will generally allow clients to use foreign servers (outbound connections) but it's more likely that an ISP will block inbound connection attempts because most ISP's frown on subscribers running their own servers on their network. I wouldn't expect them to block outbound connections used for time sync or HTTP or FTP. Anyway, it could be an issue with Tony's firewall. He'll have to disable the router's firewall long enough for a test. But, if he has a desktop/laptop PC where all his client applications (IE, Firefox, FTP, etc) are getting out OK then it's unlikely to be a firewall issue. Maybe he needs to re-install his Azbox firmware to fix the problem.

Some malware/virus programs will disable Internet Explorer's ability to connect because it gets reset to use a proxy server instead of the router. I've had PCs come on my shop that were like that and the funny thing is that I could install Firefox or Opera browsers from my USB drive and both those would connect fine. Can't remember exactly where those IE proxy settings are but that may be what's going on since other stuff is working.

So question is, have you had an infection on your PC recently?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)