Azbox -> Gbox static

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

putney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
St Louis, missouri
I recently got a Gbox from Sadoun. (Delivered very quickly BTW) The thing worked easier than any other satellite goodie I've bought.

But recently when my Cband moves west, static noise is sent through the coax output of the Azbox through the Gbox to my back room TV. The HDMI (front room) is clean. Panning east, no 'noise'. Also, no static when using USALS with my Ku dish. The DiSEQc (LNBs) are grounded. Everything is as it was before EXCEPT that I downgraded my Azbox firmware to 9.4348. Also the Azbox has been running VERY hot! I'm assuming it's the heat issue as the Az has also been randomly losing settings (DiSEqC, TP, Position) that mostly come back after a reboot.

Has anyone else had static issues that they can relate to heat? Or have I missed something about the Gbox that I should know?

I'll be updating to the latest Az firmware to see if things cool down.

I recently got a Gbox from Sadoun. (Delivered very quickly BTW) The thing worked easier than any other satellite goodie I've bought.

But recently when my Cband moves west, static noise is sent through the coax output of the Azbox through the Gbox to my back room TV. The HDMI (front room) is clean. Panning east, no 'noise'. Also, no static when using USALS with my Ku dish. The DiSEQc (LNBs) are grounded. Everything is as it was before EXCEPT that I downgraded my Azbox firmware to 9.4348. Also the Azbox has been running VERY hot! I'm assuming it's the heat issue as the Az has also been randomly losing settings (DiSEqC, TP, Position) that mostly come back after a reboot.

Has anyone else had static issues that they can relate to heat? Or have I missed something about the Gbox that I should know?

I'll be updating to the latest Az firmware to see if things cool down.

Putney,

I have the AZBox Premium and don't have any issues with heat. Of course, the power supply is external to the Premium and my internal HDD is one of the "eco-friendly" Samsungs so mine runs just slightly above room temperature.

Do you have the Elite? Is it operating hotter than it did originally? Or did you just start experiencing the lost settings issue and notice that it was hot? I have seen others build fan kits for their boxes, maybe you need this? You didn't relocate the AZBox or another component that prevents it from having adequate ventilation?

I don't have a GBox positioner, so I cannot say anything about the interference issue. I guess you would just have to start isolating one piece of the system at a time. Maybe remove the connection to the dish positioner, but leave the GBox connected to the receiver and see if the interference is eminating from the motor or the GBox itself. (???)

RADAR

I upgraded to the latest firmware version and the box is running way cooler (20º cooler maybe).

Yesterday I had a little free time and put a Ecoda switch feeding the Gbox with one leg and my DiSEQc switch with the other. Crackling still exist on the Coax out, HDMI is clean. If I unplug the Gbox the noise goes away. I'm suspecting moisture in the actuator.

BTW I have an Elite.

I upgraded to the latest firmware version and the box is running way cooler (20º cooler maybe).

Putney,

That is a major difference! I cannot imagine why the change in firmware would account for such a dramatic change in operating temperature. I would monitor the AZBox for several days with the current firmware installed and then re-install the firmware that you suspected and monitor it for a few days, too. If the overheating returns, I would submit a bug report to OpenSat as it obviously shouldn't do this.

Yesterday I had a little free time and put a Ecoda switch feeding the Gbox with one leg and my DiSEQc switch with the other. Crackling still exist on the Coax out, HDMI is clean. If I unplug the Gbox the noise goes away. I'm suspecting moisture in the actuator.

That's a possibility. Has it been damp and rainy for you recently, or a lot of snow melt and fog? How is your weather forecast? Is it forecast to continue to be wet? Maybe you can prop up a hair dryer to blow some warm air at it to help it dry out a bit?

RADAR

I haven't had any issues between my Azbox and GBOX causing anything like what you describe.

I've had two issues. The GBOX didn't always obey commands. That was traced to a bad switch. The second is the remote mysteriously died. That's on it's way back to Sadoun now.

My wife would wring my neck without that GBOX working.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)