AZbox is taking over the world!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I know I'm new here, but the search feature has worked very well for me. I used it a lot
to catch up a bit (since my past BUD days) before I made my first post. Keep on Keepin
on Ice. Hope your family items come out ok....

I definitely have to second what DirectDishNet had to say. I'm still new here, but in the time I've been here I've received much patient assistance and for that I'm really grateful. :up

Iceberg - Hope your family emergency isn't too serious and whoever it is gets well soon.

Iceberg,

Its nice to see, you're smiling again. Hope you'll deal with your personal issues well. :up

Thanks for expressing yourself. :D Sad, you chosen such tone instead of giving general background. I'd rather enjoy one of these good equipment reviews you used to do before, but not anymore... I found it interesting that a link was removed, I posted to a US Attorney Press Release citation without commentaries. Every FTA site on the web has some info, like that citation, someone may feel piracy related. ;)

As to "bashing receivers", it's indeed unfortunate that some people announce particular models "bad" only to disappoint others who followed local shop advice, and quite happy with their STB, having neither money no desire to rush changing it for some idolized "stuff of the day". Some well prepared Linux PC users are hard pressed to find advantages of a Linux based STB. Others found it to be a softer passway towards a Linux HTPC. And even more fans simply enjoy ever growing functionality of Linux STBs. Nothing to fight about. And PC DVB section should not be abandoned simply cause you don't use Sat PC Cards, others can help you take care of it.

For many value of forums like this is in passing over information they look for at the moment. If it can be done faster and in a more efficient way, it probably makes sense. As always, not for everyone... However, there should be no place for personal attacks or libeling others instead of information exchange. Especially from Mods who has access to more forum control features and others' posts. A Mod should not be rude and aggressive, and disclose private correspondence in an open forum without author's permission. All this stuff is unethical and quite damaging for this good forum, and its legality is questionable at best. This is not a kind of polemics I will support. :cool:

Last edited:
Iceberg, I think you are doing a great job here.
Don't let it get to ya, Your appreciated by the majority here.

PS: Wish I never started this thread, Maybe it's time to close it.

nah. No reason to close it. Don't let my outburst get to ya. You had a valid point and earlier this past weekend I was thinking about making a azbox area. I know there are folks who probably cringe when they see "azbox" in a thread and having them in a specific area might help so your suggestion was just another way for me to probably get a section for it :)

I don't own an azbox (yet...i hope santa is kind to me), but I've been trying to read-up & get informed about owning an Elite. As an outsider to the Azbox, it was somewhat confusing to read operating tips in what is labeled a review section. If you do make the decision to got to having an Azbox forum, some of those tips could be "stickies" to get an azbox newbie up & running.

IMO, an argument in favor of having a separate forum is that the Azbox is apparently more complex than the normal FTA stb to operate AND its features do not seem as if they are readily apparent and/or are evolving from week-to-week if not day to day.

I know I'm new here, but the search feature has worked very well for me. I used it a lot
to catch up a bit (since my past BUD days) before I made my first post. Keep on Keepin
on Ice. Hope your family items come out ok....

I actually don't like the search feature, but that's an issue with vBulletin and not satelliteguys.

I usually search using google. If you go to google.com you can enter the following into the search box to limit your searches to this site:
Code:
"what I want to search for" site:satelliteguys.us

If you put the search terms in quotes it will search for that specific text. If you leave off the quotes, it won't limit the search to the specific string and will give more general results.

While I don't think, for the reasons that Iceberg mentioned, that we need a new forum for specific receivers, I fully agree with whoever said that it's a bit weird to have ongoing discussion in the "Reviews" section so long after the receiver's debut. Maybe the best way to handle it would be like they do on AVS -- have an "Official AZbox Thread" thread.

Great......

Another freakin' sub-forum to open and read...... :rant:

Now I am waiting to see where a question about the AZbox used with C-band will be posted! LOL!!! ;)

WOW!....... I just went to the AZbox subsection, Very nice!......There is tons more threads than I ever thought.

Thanks Iceberg!.That mush of taken a ton of time digging those threads up.

no problem

I basically went and any thread within the last 75 days (or 100...I forget) that had "azbox" in the title I moved

Noticed a lot more az threads recently than even a month or so ago

just an opinion:

I think the AZ phenomenon will be short lived.
The new sub forum may morph into a more general forum as other receivers offer competition to it.
Maybe all S2-capable boxes, or all Linux boxes, or something totally else.
edit: Multi-Media-Receivers ... ?

Don't get me wrong, I see the new sub forum as a very positive change.
Just like having PCI/USB and C-band off by themselves.
And of course, 4DTV is a whole different world. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hardly ever check out the PCI/USB or the 4DTV forums, as those areas don't much interest me.
If they or the AZ guys have a motor/LNB/switch problem, they'd be wise to bring it out in "public". - :eek:

And as for the AVSforum idea of a specific thread for a specific product, I gotta say how much I really :rant:wading through those!!!
The long review threads we sometimes have are mini-versions of the same concept, and I despise them, too.
Reviews could probably do with a lock after the initial discussion.
Maintaining an on-going discussion thread on the product is fine.
And any relevant and vital info could be copied into the review by the moderator, should any such information come to light.
(bug fix, firmware release, etc. - even subsequent negative reviews by other posters.)

Last edited:
Looking again along the ways to improve presented info accessibility and some arguments of others', a Multimedia Sat Receivers Section appears to be a better choice, since it won't make an artificial favorite from AZBox, thus negatively affecting other STBs and PC Sat receivers sales. Comment under the section title can list AZBox among other models, as they become available, to help people navigate to the section. Specific product Stickies can be added in this and other similar sections, and they need to be mostly product FAQ related.

STB Review threads should definitely be open only during initial period after the model introduction. Most of later posts in these threads usually appear irrelevant to the review, just repeated routing usage questions. Subsequently members would need to open new threads on specific STB usage topics, like its now done with above mentioned AZBox.

I think the AZ phenomenon will be short lived.
The new sub forum may morph into a more general forum as other receivers offer competition to it.
exactly. Once the hype dies down the threads will go back to the main area and the subforum deleted.

You have to realize until the azbox came out, the only STB receiver to get 4:2:2 feeds was the Quali-TV which ran about 700 bucks. A year and a half ago the price went down but still was around 500 bucks. The receiver was old and limited but it did 4:2:2 so people bought them (me being one)

Now that there is a receiver that can do 4:2:2 & DVB-S2 and not break the bank, people are buying them

If they or the AZ guys have a motor/LNB/switch problem, they'd be wise to bring it out in "public". - :eek:
correct. Most folks will still post the "general" questions in the main area. The "azbox related" posts (how to use a HDD, issues with the azbox in general) will go there. Posts get moved here all the time by me so its no worries :)

And as for the AVSforum idea of a specific thread for a specific product, I gotta say how much I really :rant:wading through those!!!
The long review threads we sometimes have are mini-versions of the same concept, and I despise them, too.
Reviews could probably do with a lock after the initial discussion.

I agree. Some threads do get locked. I also am against the "put all ____________ posts in this thread" where you have a 400 page thread with numerous things going on :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)