AZBox ME hardware blindscan?

mr3p

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 1, 2010
West
Based upon what I've read, the ME seems to have hardware to support blindscan although recent comments from the lead developer for Enigma2 and Neutrino, which are rumored to be firmware/OS which it will be running, support for blindscan functionality doesn't appear to be something which has been added and its not clear if its even a priority. The AZBox ME sounds like a great receiver but there's no way I would buy one without hardware blindscan support.

See this thread for direct comments:

Azbox ME - Page 2

Thats because we are a tiny market compared to the rest of the world, and the rest of the world has very little use for blindscan, so they don't want to spend money developing it. But I agree. No BS, no sale. Only reason I might have one is 4:2:2 capability, if they continue to offer it. And maybe the novelty of having Android on my FTA box.

how do they find wild feeds in Europe?

There arent very many. Most of their 'backhauls' are delivered VIA fiber from the conversations I have had with Europeans. Just about all of their programming is delivered like Directv/DISH is here, but unlike here, there you are allowed,even encouraged, to have your own receiver and dish, and they just sell you the smart card for their services. Plus they have access to a good amount of programming tailored to FTA users, ITC. And all of it stays in the same place, on the same transponders, for long periods of time.

We are in the STONE age next to them, sadly.

I emailed AZBox to inquire on hardware blindscan on ME and here is the reply:

"First, we would like to remember you that the official FW for Me device will be Neutrino HD and no other will be supported.
Then, at the release moment, Neutino HD won't support blind scan but we will release a plugging to do so and as it will be open-source, we are certain that many communities will work on it."

I wouldn't buy one until the blind scan software was released and proven to work to our expectations. If they're taking this long to release the receivers at all (and wouldn't it be nice if we had an exact explanation as to why THAT is?!) and yet still haven't got around to doing blind scan, that doesn't inspire confidence. Exactly the opposite, in fact.

I was glad to hear Opensat understands the need to provide actual OS support for hardware blindscan. That being said, I won't be buying one until blindscan is actually supported. As for the delay in release, my best guess is that the firmware or Neutrino must not yet be stable. On a parallel theme, there is a rumored release of Neutrino for Elite/Premium/+/Ultra, although its unclear if the same blindscan plug-in/patch for ME would work.

There arent very many. Most of their 'backhauls' are delivered VIA fiber from the conversations I have had with Europeans. Just about all of their programming is delivered like Directv/DISH is here, but unlike here, there you are allowed,even encouraged, to have your own receiver and dish, and they just sell you the smart card for their services. Plus they have access to a good amount of programming tailored to FTA users, ITC. And all of it stays in the same place, on the same transponders, for long periods of time.

We are in the STONE age next to them, sadly.

That is true, I have see some European fta channel lists and a lot of them are channels we pay for over here via subs

Before I bought my Elite I traded Emails with Hugo Condessa about the blind scan issue with that box at that time. He lead me to believe that blind scan was "in the works" and at some point I'd be able to upgrade my Elite to do that. Ask me how that worked out?

I finally bit the bullet back about a year or so ago and bought an Ultra from the guy in Miami when he had a price dip. So, for those of you who make blind scan something which you must have I'd follow the lead of others here who will wait for information as to how it works before they spend any money for one. After all, we've seen how much crap we have now that DOESN'T WORK and we've also seen that they continually put out "new boxes" and never fix the shiete they already have dumped on us! "Fool me once, Shame on you! Fool me TWICE, SHAME ON ME!" I won't be fooled again! ;-)

I don't know what "ME" is, or any of that, so maybe someone could explain: all I want is an FTA receiver that can receive EVERY format on FTA that is possible, including all the HD ones, and has a DVR in it, and will scan the satellites the same way my Fortec Star Platinum did. If such a receiver is available as a PCI or PCIe card for my computer that might be good. But I'd like it to have the slot to put the card in and get subscription programs. But then that means I need to find a subscription programming provider, so where are these providers? The only ones I know of are like Dish and DirectTV, which I won't do. I need one who can provide the services to receive the ones on MPEG. No pirated stuff, but the provider for the legit stuff. If there are no providers here in the USA, then OK, but I still want ALL the FTA stuff. What hardware is available for this? I heard AZBox, which one of those is the best? And what other brands are there? And what PCI (PCIe) cards to go in the computer?

all I want is an FTA receiver that can receive EVERY format on FTA that is possible, including all the HD ones, and has a DVR in it, and will scan the satellites the same way my Fortec Star Platinum did.
Does not exist - yet. Will one ever - who knows.
PCI cards take a little getting used to, but may be you best bet. I thingk the Prof 7500 can Blind scan both DVB and DVB-S2
My combo of "Skyhawk"(for blind scanning) and AZBo:mad:for 4:2:2 video) gets me everything I know of.
There are no Thirst Party receivers for Dish or DirecTV.

hi guys,

im from england....for FEEDS most of us use this site
ttp://www.satelliweb.com/
...all depends on dish size as to what we can pick up.

i have an 88cm motorised dish...a lot of people people have 1.2m dishes too...

our main TV providers are VIRGIN MEDIA (fibre cable) - or SKY UK (via Satellite)

we AR NOT encouraged to provide a DISH \ Receiver at all.

SKY UK always want their guys to install the box, and dish, and the card needs to be activated by the engineer via a phone call back to base. (the card is paired to the box)

i like blind scanning, but then again, im not an average TV viewer. Only us ENTHUSIASTs, buy dishes, motors, and 3rd party STB's such as AZBOX's \ ICecrypts S4000 \ V+ DUO \ Clarke TechCT-9000 etc....

Enigma 2 is very popular oiver here for the customizations it allows, and the fact we can share smart card keys over the internet (card sharing) to unscramble channels (NOT LEGAL!) (so i dont do this obviously)

but ive been waiting for the MEs to come out, as i like the fact it can do 4.2.2 and blind scan, ive been waiting ages, and am very disappointed with the delays, and no mention of the blind scan.

the azbox is the only box i know of to date, that can do blind scan and 4.2.2 - ive read your problems with high bit rate feeds and AZBOX recordings on your ultras and premium plus's and was hoping these went away with the pimped up ME's.

heres waiting....how they are not releasing a BS plugin i beyond me! Idiots i say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)