Back to considering FTA receiver????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

piperut

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Hi everyone,

Well, now that I have managed to solve my hockey problems by getting rid of dish network and switching over to Direct TV... and having my wife a bit upset about leaving dish network after 4.5 years with them...

The guy who runs Best Satellite in Ogden Utah does have a FTA receiver. I still have the Voom dish on the house. We were looking at it. He thinks it was a 30 inch dish. With out getting up and measuring it, we are not really sure. However, we could point it at one bird and hook up a FTA receiver. He mentioned that there was one ku bird that had a number of channels that I could receive with a 30 inch dish, mostly international channels. (I think it was a telstar bird?)

After my last post along these lines, and finding out that hockey and CBC is no longer in the clear... well, that would not be worthwile for that. However, would it be worthwile to do something like this?

I think we would need to put a different LNB on the dish, I am not sure what sort of LNB VOOM used to use.

If this is not worth doing, or if there are not enough channels to get with this dish, I don't want to spend the money on the receiver. It is aroung $225 for the receiver.

So, I am just wondering if this is worth doing or not?

Thanks,

roland

piperut said:
The guy who runs Best Satellite in Ogden Utah does have a FTA receiver. I still have the Voom dish on the house. We were looking at it. He thinks it was a 30 inch dish. With out getting up and measuring it, we are not really sure. However, we could point it at one bird and hook up a FTA receiver. He mentioned that there was one ku bird that had a number of channels that I could receive with a 30 inch dish, mostly international channels. (I think it was a telstar bird?)
Telstar 5 has a lot of international stuff and some church type stuff

After my last post along these lines, and finding out that hockey and CBC is no longer in the clear... well, that would not be worthwile for that. However, would it be worthwile to do something like this?
are you looking for NHL hockey or college hockey? There are a few college games on SBS6 (74W) and IA8 (89W)

I think we would need to put a different LNB on the dish, I am not sure what sort of LNB VOOM used to use.
The voom LNB wont work. You need a KU band Linear LNB (voom is circular) :)

If this is not worth doing, or if there are not enough channels to get with this dish, I don't want to spend the money on the receiver. It is aroung $225 for the receiver.

depends on what you truly want.
Here is a list of the most common stuff on KU Band
http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html

I'd suggest going to Lyngsat's sight and looking over the channels available to Ku band setups on the various satellites. IA5 has a lot of international channels, but none of them are of interest to me. They are in languages I don't speak or subjects I am not interested in. If I had to pick one satellite at the moment, it would be G10r. It has a dozen or so channels of interest and which could be received with a 33" dish. To make the most of your dish, you really need a motor. I move to one satellite to watch news channels, another 3 for some networks, and others for religious shows, news networks, etc. Definately look over the channel lists and see if its what you are interested in. There's approx 100 channels on IA5, but only 3 or 4 I'd consider watching. The rest have been deleted after scanning them in, that's how little interest I would have in them. You perhaps might have a different interest.

TiminMb said:
I'd suggest going to Lyngsat's sight and looking over the channels available to Ku band setups on the various satellites. IA5 has a lot of international channels, but none of them are of interest to me. They are in languages I don't speak or subjects I am not interested in. If I had to pick one satellite at the moment, it would be G10r. It has a dozen or so channels of interest and which could be received with a 33" dish. To make the most of your dish, you really need a motor. I move to one satellite to watch news channels, another 3 for some networks, and others for religious shows, news networks, etc. Definately look over the channel lists and see if its what you are interested in. There's approx 100 channels on IA5, but only 3 or 4 I'd consider watching. The rest have been deleted after scanning them in, that's how little interest I would have in them. You perhaps might have a different interest.

I was talking to him about a motor. He didn't seem to think the dish was made for a motor. He said it was not made to add a motor. However, I am thinking I might have to talk to him again about this. I think it might be possible. I don't really know.

Anyway, I am not sure if this is worth doing or not... looks like most the channels on the FTA are not in English.

roland

I've been wondering about the distance between the mount and the dish surface, and how that affects skew during rotation. There has to be some relationship. Or is it the distance between the LNB and the motor tube which rotates, in which case it would be a lot less critical.

If it has a clamp onto a pole type mount, I'm sure you can mount it on a motor. Perhaps some mods required. I'm just not sure how critical the geometry of the mount to dish surface is.

RTR Sports out of Russia, on T5, has a ton of Russian hockey--several games a day. Played on an international sized rink so it is a lot more flowing (and I think entertaining) than the NHL.

Ok, so right now they have ballroom dancing from Russia--but I promise--there will be hockey.

this might sound odd but for college echo8 has espn university...lyngsat still shows it clear. Pretty odd considering most others they encrypted fast

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)