Bad Press (where all of anger at Voom is coming from?)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nuneza

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Fellow Voomers,

Please help me understand where all of anger at Voom is coming from. I was with E* for 6 years and before that cable. Voom's installer was better than anyone that E* ever sent to my house (moved 3 times in 6 years). The installation was more professionally done. The STB is much more stable and functional than the 811 I had before (the OTA receiver is leaps and bounds ahead) and ~ equivalent to the 501 and 301's. The programming is at least as good (granted I'm not a big sports fan) and the picture quality is better in SD and at least as good in HD as E*. Customer service has been mostly helpful. The company in general seems much more consumer friendly than E*. I was dissatisfied with E* customer service and even had to call the "Executive" support group to get an HD receiver. The rain fade effect is almost exactly the same as with E*.

So I guess what I’m trying to say is that from my perspective, this service is better that E* in every way. I can say that without even considering their superior HD offerings.

So where's the disconnect? I almost didn't order the service after reading all of these negative comments. Luckily, I tend to make my own decisions rather than just trust others and wow, I’m sure glad I did. I'm sure Voom has lost perspective customers that are turned away after reading these messages.

Background
I operate two HD TV's; a Sanyo Z2 with 84" Screen in a home theater and a 32 Phillips CRT so I have some perspective. I am also a career electronics guy (avionics tech/electronics tech/cable installer/IT Director/CIO) so I am not unfamiliar with the technologies involved. (I only offer this information because I'm sure the first response will be that I just don’t know what I'm talking about.)

Anyway, I would appreciate the effort if someone can explain what I’m missing.

Thanks.

As you saw from all the posts about the horror installs, your install can be *very* hit or miss depending on your assigned installers. From what I understand, Voom has nothing to do with this because the same installers do all DBS system installations.

I am with you about enjoying Voom content and HD. Seems to be unanimous, though, that PQ could be improved various ways. I think Voom looks great already, so I can't wait to see even better PQ if that is possible.

A lot of the (dumb) complaint about Voom is about the content being different from other providers. Makes me wonder if the same people would subscribe to Architectural Digest and complain that it is different from Sports Illustrated. :no :no :rolleyes:

Unlike some of the people that have posted on here - my installer was awesome - he even showed up a half hour early and had the whole thing installed in 1 hour. He was very professional and made me aware of everything he was going to do before he did it.

For me picture quality is the best I have seen in a long time - I switched to Voom from Cable because of the scan lines that I was seeing in their crappy digital signal. Since Voom I could not be happier. I like the RUSH HD and RAVE HD channels and many of the other ones that are included in my package. Unlike some I have not have a rainfade issue at all - my signal quality is at 97 with clear skies and in a downpour it dropped to 93, and stayed that way the whole storm. All of my OTA channels come in crystal clear. have not had any problems with the STB.

I am very excited to hear about what channels will be added next, and a DVR is not really on the top of my list - I do not see a need to save programs (this is my opinion though, and I know many people want this feature). However, at the same time I am excited to see that being worked on and look forward to seeing it in action when it really does get released. Some people are complaining alot about broken promises of when the DVR will be released, but set backs are all part new technology. They need to test it to make sure that it works, and if the past problems of the STB are any sign maybe the setback of the DVR is a good thing because it may prove to be a better product in the long run.

I really think the people that are on here to complain have got way too much time on their hands. I think these posts are great for a question and answer type setup and that there are alot more success stories out there that have yet to be heard. However, the people with bad experiences are ruining other peoples attitudes. From what I can tell it is certain areas that are all having the bad experiences. Maybe people should just try it out - after all you have a better likelyhood of success with voom since it is a not contract setup...Try it out - if you like it keep it, if not then you can switch to one of the companies that have the year contract, however I think many people will agree that once you see Voom you will not go back.

I am also of the opinion that obsessive complaining by a few very active posters here is counterproductive, and it is not helping Voom and their subs. Obviously, Voom is not perfect because nothing is. And I am confident that Voom knows where the problems are, and it's trying to resolve them.

andrzej said:
I am also of the opinion that obsessive complaining by a few very active posters here is counterproductive, and it is not helping Voom and their subs. Obviously, Voom is not perfect because nothing is. And I am confident that Voom knows where the problems are, and it's trying to resolve them.

Andrzej Right on, I have a new signature.

Remember as an old saying goes "give me good service and I will tell this to a couple of people, but give me bad service and I will tell this to as many as I can".

I'm also relatively happy with Voom.

I think some of the complainers are probably connected to D* or E*. You'd think that if someone that actually tried Voom and returned it would stop spending their time on this forum. Only conclusion I can come up with is that they're trying to stir up trouble for Voom or perhaps they're off their meds.(maybe both)

JimP said:
I'm also relatively happy with Voom.

I think some of the complainers are probably connected to D* or E*. You'd think that if someone that actually tried Voom and returned it would stop spending their time on this forum. Only conclusion I can come up with is that they're trying to stir up trouble for Voom or perhaps they're off their meds.(maybe both)

You would think.... we probably have some D* or E* Higherups who have nothing better to do than complain.

I have had all of the satellite services and cable, VOOM is by far the best, and that is even after all the problems I have had with my OTA. I realize that VOOM has no control over the installers out there and that the same guys do Dish and DirecTV. I think the problem with the installers is they are just so new to VOOM and they want to do it just like Dish and DirecTV, but it is a different type of install. I think if everyone with an HDTV would just give VOOM a shot that they would be sold on it like I am.

ps. Monsters is the best channel ever made ;)

kaw

People Complaining are Higher Ups at D*

The people complaining are marketing guys from competitors, i am sure of it. We should make a list of complainers and post it on a thread so we can discount what they are saying. They have so much time on their hands and post several 100 threads, this is not the work of an amateur, also language used indicates professional competance, and expertise which is only from insider in industry.

Voom is the best and people want it destroyed, we should not let them do it , all those with positive experience of voom should drown the voices of these nathsayers.

Love Voom for five months , and eagerly anticipating the HD PVR and WM9 codec. Wait till they see what voom has to offer next 2 years their mouths will water. We will have over 90 channels in HD , clear pristine picture and HD Pvr with networking capabilities

I could not say it better guys. There are people here that think that hitting a dead horse will make a difference. There are those that complaint about everything and anything with the VOOM logo on it. You wonder if there is not a hidden agenda in some of the posts (not all but some). VOOM is less than a year old and we have seen that at least they are trying to push the envelop when it comes to HD while the others are sitting still. Sometimes it makes very little difference beating a dead horse. Especially when the problems have been made publicly. What is really outrageous is the exagerations that come out of these people. If that was the case, you kind of wonder why they are still paying VOOM a bill or better why are they wasting their time here. Think about it. If you don't like it be done with it and please change to something else and be happy about it. I still will give VOOM a chance to work out the details. They will; nothing gets done in a day and ROME was not built in a day either.

Right on, Sean.

Some Forum Loser said:
Hey, I am going to go find a support forum for a product I don't like and post a bunch of messages there! What a great use of my time. I'll do it every day too! :down :down :down
I used to enjoy checking this forum for new Voom features, new channels, new announcements. It really contributed to the fun of having Voom. Even the problems and complaints were posted in a good spirit. Answers were helpful, and the next post was "Hey! Thanks!"

Now it's one dump after another. Dish is better. DTV is better. SD is better. Having lots of commercials is better. Black and white reruns are better. Amazing how people will waste their time and money on something they apparently don't like.

Sorry to say, but I will enjoy Voom more by visiting this forum less. Catch you guys later.

I am still excited about the possibilities and direction of this product. :up

I'm with you. The people who complain about customer service must not have ever been Echostar customers.

I can't complain about VOOM customer Service. A few weeks ago when my box was fried. They had an installer put in a new box in less than 2 hours from the time I called. Now that is service. Also when I originally signed up, the installer called me the next day and wanted to come out. I was not even ready since the install date I picked was 2 weeks away. But I can't complain about VOOM service to me in my area or how they handled my calls.

it is always the whiners and complainers that you here from.. If you don't like VOOM just cancel and say goodbye. There ain't no better way to do it.. As for me I have both D* and Voom. With VOOM the HD selection right now just can not be beat... So if you want as much HD as you can get then VOOM is for you. I plan on staying in and enjoy all the new HD channels and new features as well as the new DVR that VOOM will be coming out with...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)