Baseband video ? (922)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
I am wondering if there is a way to hook something like a PCI card to the DSR922?

Is that what the baseband video is for?

I was just trying to figure out how to hook up a KU receiver like a pci card, coolsat or viewsat etc etc. to the big dish through the 922.

You can hook the cable from the lnb to the Coolsat or Viewsat and then from the loop-out (IF Output) of either receiver to the 922. Or, if the PCI Card has a loop-out, you can do the same thing. In other words, slave the 922 to one of those receivers.
The Baseband Video will not work.

Are there varying qualities of HF splitters?
Do you lose any signal strength by splitting like that?
Seems like a good way to do it

Is there enough on the DSR922 version of KU to make it worth running the KU feed line to that or maybe I should just run it straight to a PCI card?

I think I was reading a thread the other day that mention there was only one KU channel on one particular bird.

So would I be better served by just by passing the DSR922 with the KU line and running it on to a FTA receiver?

can you manually tune the 922 ? do you have a shortwave radio ? are you interested in known the EXACT symbol rate of a freq, dvb-s, DGII, dvb-s2 ? well youve got a winning setup :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mueller
Are there varying qualities of HF splitters?

probably, just make sure it goes to at least 2 GHz (my opinion)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mueller
Do you lose any signal strength by splitting like that?

not that I have noticed

You definately lose signal when you use a splitter, however the splitter also splits the noise, so it may have little effect on the S/N ratio, so often you don't notice the difference. The IF signals we get from LNBs are not "weak signal", so you can afford to lose signal. For receiving this stuff, signal to noise ratio is usually more important than signal level itself.
For the same reason, while it's best to use a splitter that is rated up to 2 GHz, it's really not necessary. I used 1 GHz UHF TV splitters for many years. You could see the drop-off at the high end of the band, but it seldom affected the ability to lock transponders. The only thing about using cheap splitters is that when using splitters, you really should use DC blocks on all but one receiver. The sat splitters that are rated to 2 GHz generally have a power pass port with the other ports blocked, which is convenient, since the DC blocks are getting harder to find since RS stopped selling them.

You definately lose signal when you use a splitter, however the splitter also splits the noise, so it may have little effect on the S/N ratio, so often you don't notice the difference. The IF signals we get from LNBs are not "weak signal", so you can afford to lose signal. For receiving this stuff, signal to noise ratio is usually more important than signal level itself.
For the same reason, while it's best to use a splitter that is rated up to 2 GHz, it's really not necessary. I used 1 GHz UHF TV splitters for many years. You could see the drop-off at the high end of the band, but it seldom affected the ability to lock transponders. The only thing about using cheap splitters is that when using splitters, you really should use DC blocks on all but one receiver. The sat splitters that are rated to 2 GHz generally have a power pass port with the other ports blocked, which is convenient, since the DC blocks are getting harder to find since RS stopped selling them.

I also have used 1 ghz tv splitters with DC blocks, they work fine, The Dc Block is usually just a capacitor easy to create one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)