OTHER Basic DVB-S/S2 Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
As much as I like Android boxes, until someone develops/supports a bug free stable Android app with all the features we want, I prefer a dedicated FTA receiver, something like the V7 with firmware support for NA.

Titantium, hopefully you have something planned for us after your non-compete ends ;)

Appears to be a problem recording eScapes on 99W.
Records picture ok but playback has audio problems.
Have not seen this on other recordings.
Went in and saw that there were 2 audio channels and the AC3 audio was the one that does not record.
I should clarify myself here and say that this was seen when playing the recording on the pc using VLC & media player

Looks like I'll be shopping for a replacement for my MicroHD (it's toast) so I'm gathering all the info including everything in this thread but there is a problem, I already have a Freesat V7 in place so there's no way I could put a 2nd one next to it. Trying to use the remote would be a no-go so I need an FTA box that is as sensitive as the V7 but whose remote is dissimilar to the V7's remote. Sigh, if it ain't one thing it's another. :coco

Looks like I'll be shopping for a replacement for my MicroHD (it's toast) so I'm gathering all the info including everything in this thread but there is a problem, I already have a Freesat V7 in place so there's no way I could put a 2nd one next to it. Trying to use the remote would be a no-go so I need an FTA box that is as sensitive as the V7 but whose remote is dissimilar to the V7's remote. Sigh, if it ain't one thing it's another. :coco

Reminds me of the OpenBOX S9 and the SkyBox F3 remote. I had both hooked up at the same time once. Never again! I had to take a deep breath and block the remote receive on one during my testing stage once I figured they were using the same time remote freq.

At least the Freesat V7 does not have a remote button near the OK changing serious TV video options...

Earlier I reported a problem recording eScapes on 99W.
It appears that this is a windows media player problem only.
I have tried several other new recordings with both audio settings on this channels and it will play black fine on VLC version 2.2.4. (we had a very old version and updated it to 2.2.4).
Even a few of our large screen TV's have had no problems with just inserting the flash drive and playing the recordings from this channel.
Seems like the windows media player does not like this one particular channel for audio playback as it plays the recording in silence, and the others have the audio with it ok.
I am liking this receiver for the recordings it is making and the fact I can use it like a plug & play in many other devices.

I was looking at one of these, looked like it is about as basic as it gets nowadays:

Full HD 1080P DVB-S2 DVB-S Digital Video Broadcasting Receiver Set Top Box HDTV

Any thoughts?
View attachment 117346
I may have overlooked but I did not see where anyone commented on that basic receiver...I bought a couple of those and there actually not bad but and the big but for me is there is no editor and no way to back up or reload a sat ch list with that receiver..There is a thread somewhere here at Sat Guys about that box...IMO you would be happier with the cheap Freesat V7 over that unit.

There are conflicting specs for that box. While there are one or two listings on Ebay that claim AC-3 audio, there are many more that go out of their way to make sure you know it does not support AC-3 audio.

Audio Codec: WMA,MP3,AAC (wma,.mp3,m4a).?This version Not Support Dolby AC3 audio decoder?

For many of us (including me), this is the first Montage based receiver that we have purchased. Many previous units were ALi based.

I am curious what other Montage based STBs are out there?

There was a Montage VT6000 box that came out a while back. I used it for the 16apsk channels on 97w with pretty good performance. It's a dual tuner DVB-S2/DVB-T setup. The AC3 audio needs to be passed out of the coaxial port into a decoder. There is now an upgraded version of the same basic box running the 6001 chip.

As for the V7 box. I am surprised everyone has had such good luck with it. I picked one up over a year ago. Started scanning my satellites, scanned 97w ku. Then I started watching Press TV I think on a marginal signal, went to have dinner, I then noticed a green screen of death and then nothing. I literally only got to test the receiver for an hour tops. It went out the same way as my M100 Ismart. I actually tried to turn it on the other day and it booted up, but then it went kaput after about 3 minutes.

.... I actually tried to turn it on the other day and it booted up, but then it went kaput after about 3 minutes.
It could be overheating and you might want to check the heat sink. It could have come off or they might have used a layer of glue that is too thick.

If its not the heat sink then its probably not repairable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts