Basketball Hall of Fame lets worst broadcaster ever in!

houselog442

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Titusville, FL
These idiots at the Basketball Hall of Fame just let in the biggest moron and worst sports broadcaster in the Hall of Fame! How could they let such a dipshit in?!?

I don't think he's that bad. He does tend to lean toward Duke all the time though, hence the nickname Dukie V. Billy Packer is by far worse than him.

Worst Broadcaster Ever

I agree. The guy both sucks and blows. He flat out ruins games when he's commentating on everything but the actual game. Apparently they don't have a seperate section for broacasters in the hall so it looks like he'll be there with all bastketball's greats. You'd think broadcasters would have there own hall of fame. I wonder if players can make in to there?

Can't argue the fact that he is the grandaddy of all college basketball anouncers. 30 years on ESPN. Say what you want but no one did it better all these years.

He's a love em or hate em kind of guy.. and I have gone thru phases of both loving him and hating him.. and he's gotten more bombastic and over the top in recent years.. almosts a cartoon of himself..

Reminds me alot of Harry Caray in his last few years... Ya loved him cuz he was Harry, and you overlooked his foibles during the game because it reminded you of your younger days and brought back great memories...

I don't listen to most of them, but I will always consider Brent Musberger to be the worst. He had absolutely no knowledge of the games (they moved him around--probably because no one wanted him), but they signed him to big money contracts. Bad!!

I'm not much of a basketball fan, but I have liked Dicky V. for a long time now.
I hear him in interviews, but rarely on the announcing end.

Most HOF's have a broadcasters end of the hall, I am sure he's in that section, he certainly is not going in for his playing days.

Baseball has a broadcasters end, I would imagine others do to.

Dicky V is going in for his contributions to the game.

As for the others mentioned previously,
Brent Mustberger is the one that drives me nuts, he's so BIASED to the team that is winning it's not funny.
For some reason , he gets ALL the top games, uggggh...

Also he has a personal vendeta against Ohio State

Jimbo

I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually like Dickie V.

Billy Packer is definitely a moron.

Add me to your list! Billy Packer and the dip stick they team him up with, Jim Nance, are about as exciting as watching my 80 year old granparents sleep!

Dickie V., can be bombastic at times....but he keeps interesting. My FAVORITE ANNOUNCER was/is the former BULLS lead announcer, Jim Durham....in fact, to me he is the best(does ESPN/ABC games now). My FAVORITE Color Guy, is Bill Raftery....to me...he is the best color guy around....JUST enough pizzazz to make you laugh, but with little to no after taste of overboard. I went to wiki to make sure I spelled his name correctly and I found this on him. I have hightlighted in bold, some of my favorite lines.

Raftery is known for his creative colloquialisms, his unique pronunciation of "man-to-man," and his often original ways of expressing play-by-play activities. The following are some of his more oft-used and memorable quotes.

"Shoulder ... shake ... a little lingerie!"
"A little pirouette, and they said this was a beer town!"
“I wheel the wheel barrel down the street to the tin!”
"Give it to the big fella!"
"Send it in, Jerome!"
"The Big Guy"
"With disdain to the tin!"
"Send it in, Verne!"
"...with the kiss!"
"With the sweet kiss, off the glass..."
"With a little dipsy do"
"Dagger!"
"Onions!"
"Nylon!"
"The vegetable cart"
"Put a little english on it"
"With the teardrop, that'll make you cry"
"Panties on the deck"
"We got a little nickel-dimer here"
"The small change"
"With the blow-by"
"With authority!"
"Send it in, big fella!"
"From the Right Wing!"
"There's a little lingerie on the deck"
"The bounce to ecstasy"
"You might call this Newton's Law!"[1]
"Most unattractive but beneficial"
"With the dribble drive"
"Attacking the tin!"
"Strong... to the goal!"
"Bring your lunch!"
"Elevation!"
"(insert co announcers name), (insert team name) goes man to man!"
"They're playing a (insert zone defense name) zone with man-to-man principles!"
"A little ricochet romance!"
"Get the puppies set!"
"He can do it all; let him into the band!"
"(insert player's name) with some early onions!"
"Fill the lane! Provide the lift!"
"He can make you ask for your mommy."
"Walter at the altar: High Mass!"
"Bottle of blackout!"
"Deployment!"
"Divine intervention!"
"With a little smoocher!"
"Protect the women and children!"
"Chubby Checker Do the Twist!"
Verne Lundquist: "I hope Dwyane Wade likes cajun cooking!" ... (dramatic 5 second pause) ... Bill Raftery: "JAMBALAYA!"
"A Large Edifice!"
"He's got the puppies sent off the bus."
"Why the lefties look so pretty its amazing."

Bill Raftery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Complete agreement on Raftery - miss him doing Nets games. He's a classic, and the trio of Raf, Bilas, and McDonnough is the best in the biz - hands down.

On Vitale - He's lost most of his fastball over the years, and I agree with those saying he's becoming cartoonish. He's still the best ambassador for the game itself, though - his enthusiasm is contagious.

And the work he does for the V Foundation is unbelievable.

Vitale is at his worst at the NBA Draft! I remember his big ranting in 2002 when he claimed the Rockets were making a huge mistake drafting Yao Ming over Jay Williams and that Houston should just trade the pick for veterans. He also claimed that Yao was the next Larue Martin and that Jay Williams would be a huge NBA star! What a f**king moron! And that is only the beginning of all his stupid predictions on who he thinks will be an NBA superstar!

Vitale is at his worst at the NBA Draft! I remember his big ranting in 2002 when he claimed the Rockets were making a huge mistake drafting Yao Ming over Jay Williams and that Houston should just trade the pick for veterans. He also claimed that Yao was the next Larue Martin and that Jay Williams would be a huge NBA star! What a f**king moron! And that is only the beginning of all his stupid predictions on who he thinks will be an NBA superstar!

But you cannot hold him to that if you don't hold EVERYBODY ELSE to their predictions as far as who IS and who IS NOT gonna be a star. Regardless of the sport, there have ALWAYS been STUDS in college and DUDS in the pros. The list for ANY sport is way to big to list. Remember, I was taut this from my days working behind the scenes in sports media in Chicago....he is a "color analyst" and he had done that job well. The problem is, ESPN has made him MORE than that.....to no fault of his and truth be told....he is THE most genuine of ALL college "experts/gurus" of any sport. The Mel Kipers of the world cought NOT hold his jock because he talks to alot of those kids face-to-face....VERY FEW can say they do that.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)