Battery Preference

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
I went to fire up my Pansat 3500 tonight and found that the "bunny-gizer" batteries took a dump in the remote!!! :eek:
They were not too old and have a date of 2012 on them plus they worked not too long ago! Those cheap batteries that come with gizmos seem to last longer and I never had a cheapo leak on me! I even had a financy Maglite with 4 D size bunny batteries that took a dump last spring and ruined my flashlight!!! Those batteries only lasted about 6 months in my flashlight and I did not use it that much. I have not had a dry cell battery leak in anything of mine for at least 30 years! I thought that leaky batteries were a thing of the past! Sure I have had dead batteries but a leaker this day and age??? Does any one else have the same problems with batteries??? What battery brand do you prefer??? A remote control in a warm house is not a harsh enviroment for a battery to me. :(

I've used the Radio Shack brand one (enercell) for years...mainly because I use to work there and got them cheap.
They usually have deals on them and they seem to work great in remotes

A remote battery can be killed by being stuck in the sofa cushions for one night with some of the buttons pushed.
Prob not the battery's fault.

Durocell, or whatever is on sale! Been using the dollar store's Sunbeam branded alkalines for quite a while, not a problem with them and they last as long as the 1.50ea batteries. I did have some el cheapo AAs leak in my traxis remote awhile back, but it was stored in the storage building with no heat, and I don't know how long they'd been in there. Those were dollar general 'heavy duty' specials, but they puked a little. Didn't hurt the remote though, I found it before they had time to leak very much juice. Normally Im smart enough to take batteries out of anything stored, but that one slipped by me.

I seem to remember, now many years ago, that one of the battery manufacturers guaranteed that if their batteries leaked, that they'd replace whatever was ruined. I never did have to take them up on the offer. But I don't think there's that kind of guarantee anymore. I've gotten into the habit of removing the batteries from anything that's not been used in a month, and just throwing them away. The dollar store batteries seem to hold a charge just as well as the "name brands". And at a fraction of the cost, guess who's the winner?

Normally Im smart enough to take batteries out of anything stored, but that one slipped by me.

I usually remove them too if I am not going to use something for a while. This remote was used in October and the batteries seemed strong! Fall is a busy time for me but a month or so sitting should not be a problem... I thought.

I seem to remember, now many years ago, that one of the battery manufacturers guaranteed that if their batteries leaked, that they'd replace whatever was ruined.

I think that Energizer still has that guarantee but after reading the fine print you are just as well off to replace the item yourself after the shipping cost, the red tape and time before/if you see the item again. My $30 flashlight that got ruined was sure a disappointment!

I use ray-o-vac alkalines in all my remotes. Seem to do well.

I did have a bunch of those from Black Friday specials at Circuit City and Home Depot. They did do very well now that I think about it and they never leaked! I recently found some old Ray-o-Vac batteries in a toy that was sitting in my parents attic from the late seventies! The batteries were dead but I was very surprised that they did not leak after all those years and they were not alkaline back then!

The only batteries I've had leak in the last 20 years, are a set of D-cells in my $30 flashlight.
And, since I couldn't get 'em out, I don't know what brand of alkaline they were. :(

For all my electronic needs, I've been using the Radio Shack / Enercell brand.
Buddy runs a local store, and always reminds me every year when they go on sale for $10.
Recently, they give you fewer in the package, but still a bargain.
I keep the "brick" of 'em in the bottom of the refrigerator 'till needed.
Don't know if it it helps, but don't think it hurts.

Come to think of it, besides remotes, I use 'em in an electric shaver I keep in the car, flashlights, and digital clocks.
No complaints about performance in any of the devices.

One trick I try to remember to do, is keep a small sticker on the back of my clocks or inside the remotes.
I list the month/year the battery was last changed.
(some are gettin' pretty old! )
Often, they're good for 18 months, but if you instituted a wholesale annual swap, that would work. :)

I've used the Radio Shack brand one (enercell) for years...mainly because I use to work there and got them cheap.
They usually have deals on them and they seem to work great in remotes

FWIW I have been using NIMH rechargeables in my remotes for quite a while. The newer NIMH batteries that come pre-charged and hold their charge for longer periods than the older NIMH and NiCAD's did. I have 3 or 4 sets (4 batteries from the same batch) of AA and AAA that wait patiently for the current set to finally die and then immediately jump into action. The dead set gets recharged and put in the holding cell to wait for its next moment of glory in the sun. While there is little question that hard batteries will probably last longer than rechargeables, I don't find that the NIMH batteries die particularly fast, so it's not really an issue. I use these in my factory remotes and also my Harmony, which gets most of the action. Of course YMMV, but this approach has worked quite well for me for a number of years.

Often, they're good for 18 months, but if you instituted a wholesale annual swap, that would work. :)

I usually change them when the performance of the remote starts to dwindle. Is it possible that the batteries could of started leaking but were able to still power my device??? :confused:

I use Duracell or Kirtland Signature batteries that I get at Costco. A 48 count AA battery pack (Kirtland brand) costs around $13 and change. I usually split a pack with my brother or a neighbor.

Duracell white top rechargeable(aka rebranded Sanyo Enerloops)
they go on sale in Canada at Shoppers Drug Mart and Dell every few months because they're sold as "pre-charged" but after a few months they lose a bit of charge so the store has to get rid of them at about $7/pack.

Takes about 8 hours on slow charge and last as long(if not longer) than regular battteries. I'd never go back to old battteries plus they won't end up leaking in a landfill

I use only rechargeable batteries in my remotes either AA or AAA whichever it takes. With four or five remotes you never which one is going to die and I pop the bad set in the charger at night and their ready for the next day. Sometimes wallymart will have a pretty good deal on 4 batteries with the charger...Blind

Consumer Reports consistently ranks the Costco house brand alkaline batteries as their Best Buy. I buy them in bulk, both AA and AAA . Of course, that does you no good if you don't patronize Costco. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.