BBMP ON 922

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Well you would think after working on the 922 for 4 years it would be better than a beta product. They had to strip 75% of the features off just to sell it when it came out. Now the hardware is outdated and they don't really have any choice but to abandon it for something else. I'm glad to wash my hands of it and probably will never be a Dish customer again. Good luck to you guys I hope Dish will bring out and update for you guys to they make their flagship receiver better than their entry level models.

I'm kind of pissed that I paid $200 to upgrade to the 922, and it seems like it is dead already. When the new receivers come out, I'm sure there will be a charge for them too. I'm not playing the role of "all important customer" but I may have to seriously think about jumping ship once my contact is up. Being a first time Dish customer, this is leaving quite the bad taste in my mouth.

I'm kind of pissed that I paid $200 to upgrade to the 922, and it seems like it is dead already. When the new receivers come out, I'm sure there will be a charge for them too. I'm not playing the role of "all important customer" but I may have to seriously think about jumping ship once my contact is up. Being a first time Dish customer, this is leaving quite the bad taste in my mouth.

A lot of people paid 200 bucks to get the newest receiver. The 813/Hopper has been rumored for months if not longer. This is a market driven business, it's about the newest, best thing. Apple has made an art form out of this philosophy. You pay your money and take your chances. The companies that stay in the same place, get lapped by the pack. Where can you go an be guaranteed the newest, best receiver won't be replaced after you paid the money?

A lot of people paid 200 bucks to get the newest receiver. The 813/Hopper has been rumored for months if not longer. This is a market driven business, it's about the newest, best thing. Apple has made an art form out of this philosophy. You pay your money and take your chances. The companies that stay in the same place, get lapped by the pack. Where can you go an be guaranteed the newest, best receiver won't be replaced after you paid the money?

Not completely saying you are wrong. But with Apple - I get the latest. I really wouldn't be so upset if they would at least make the 922 BBMP compatible. I realize that there is a fee to be part of the cutting edge. I accept this, and completely understand the concept. What I have a problem with, is the fact that I've payed $200 for something thay Dish has pulled from production - because it hasn't made the final cut. Now if the 922 at least had BBMP, and HD - than I could understand that there was some benefit involved in something that may or may not become mainstream. But what I am annoyed with is the fact that the 722 has become the end of the line, and the 922 go pulled because they are unable to accomplish any programming to make things compatible to todays market.

If they come out with a whole house DVR, and I am able to upgrade and stay on top of whats "current" - than we may have something to talk about. If I paid $200 to have the rug pulled out from underneath me, just ot pay another fee to "test the waters" for another product that may or may not live to see another day - then we have a problem.

Obviously I didn't have an issue with the original $200. I think that should enter me into part of an elite beta group. There is a price to play - and I do not expect that the price should be every couple of months. I originally had a 722K that died. I chose tp upgrade to 922 when that one dies. The question remains whether or not Dish remains to keep people like "us" customers, or if they figure that the chum will keep us coming back for more.
"

Why Do We Let This Happen?

Not completely saying you are wrong. But with Apple - I get the latest. I really wouldn't be so upset if they would at least make the 922 BBMP compatible. I realize that there is a fee to be part of the cutting edge. I accept this, and completely understand the concept. What I have a problem with, is the fact that I've payed $200 for something thay Dish has pulled from production - because it hasn't made the final cut. Now if the 922 at least had BBMP, and HD - than I could understand that there was some benefit involved in something that may or may not become mainstream. But what I am annoyed with is the fact that the 722 has become the end of the line, and the 922 go pulled because they are unable to accomplish any programming to make things compatible to todays market.

If they come out with a whole house DVR, and I am able to upgrade and stay on top of whats "current" - than we may have something to talk about. If I paid $200 to have the rug pulled out from underneath me, just ot pay another fee to "test the waters" for another product that may or may not live to see another day - then we have a problem.

Obviously I didn't have an issue with the original $200. I think that should enter me into part of an elite beta group. There is a price to play - and I do not expect that the price should be every couple of months. I originally had a 722K that died. I chose tp upgrade to 922 when that one dies. The question remains whether or not Dish remains to keep people like "us" customers, or if they figure that the chum will keep us coming back for more.
"

I cannot believe that ALL of us that "up(down)graded" to the 922 and paid or didn't pay the $200 are just bending over and letting DISH basically tell us "yep, indeed you are going to take it and we absolutely will not buy you dinner first". Unfortunately, where I live, DISH (supplied by 3rd party CenturyLink) is the only choice. It sounds extreme, but I'm thinking of moving so I can get either CenturyLink Prism or Comcast. I'm on my 5th box in 3 years - just got a replacement 922 for one I had only since September. (and no, I don't plug into a surge protector even though every tech I've had has plugged into the surge protector.) It's sad that we have no recourse to recoup our money, get out of our contracts for failure of delivery of goods and services. How much will we have to pay to either get some other box or get out of a contract?

Yeah, me too are in the same boat as you.
I'm really pissed because of this. Pay $200 because I think it will be really good, and doesn't even have the BBMP!!!!
Really dissapointed.

And to me it was worst, becasue they actually offered the 922 to me, and I knew that the monthly fee for DVR was $10 not $6, but they offered the 922 as an offer. And I specifically asked them for the monthly fee, and the rep told me that it will be $6, so I take the "offer". First bill. monthly fee $10, and all they told me was "sorry for the false information!!!!" and now what the hell I am supposed to do.
Really pissed for the whole thing. The worst is that with the 922 I started a new contract and have to wait 2 year to cancel... :rant:

So talking with the lead engineer on the 922/Hopper software @ DISH's CES booth, he said that Blockbuster On-Demand has been actually pretty difficult to get working on the 922. He didn't say what was holding it up, but then everyone working on it got pulled to finish up the Hopper to ship. So that is the reason why we still don't have it on our 922's even though they have told us twice now that it was coming in November/December. I doubt we will see it until after the Hopper comes out. But you know, I will have switched out for one of those anyway... so I don't care.

I think the reasonable thing for DISH to do is to replace the 922s with the hoppers /joey system and just do away with all the 922s period. And they should do it for FREE. The entire 922 has been one big FLOP.

Makes me wonder though - anyone hear anything about if the hopper gets BBMP? I wouldn't think the 2 boxes are that far apart. I'm guessing it either doesn't, or we will be getting BBMP shortly if they did get it working.

I know there are a few videos that existed, but I hadn't taken the time to watch any of them in their entirety. I pretty much saw how fast the box responde, then I gave up and moved on. I would assume that it does in fact have BBMP, which really was all the answer I was looking for.

I know there are a few videos that existed, but I hadn't taken the time to watch any of them in their entirety. I pretty much saw how fast the box responde, then I gave up and moved on. I would assume that it does in fact have BBMP, which really was all the answer I was looking for.
Your welcome......

I'm assuming you have not seen this........? DISH Hopper Demo - YouTube

And I certainly haven't - until now. Thanks for (re-)posting this link to the YouTube video from Scott G. I'm wondering why Scott didn't ask the engineer about their support for the 922, and if they are going to make that software good and updated with Hopper-like functionality, and what their long-term plans were for the 922? Yes, we think it is on the way out - but I'd like to hear that from a Dish Engineer, and what their thinking is regarding the 922. I certainly am also wondering about the Upgrade path and (low-)cost that will be offered to the 922 "owners"???

I did ask that, watch the other video. :)

Ah... found it... SatelliteGuys @ CES - YouTube
Go to approx. 8:15 to the end, to see specifically on the 922, but the entire video is worth watching.

Thanks, Scott.
I'm not sure his answers really covered everything, but I guess they will never come out and say the 922 was too difficult to get right, but I'm glad he said there will be aggressive and nice pricing for upgrade customers. Let us hope so, if they are truly abandoning the 922 for further development beyond the BBMP addition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts