Be careful with your h20 swapouts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

VewDew

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Northern California
I just swapped out a defective h20 receiver that I purchased last year. I have now been sent a letter that I am leasing the new receiver and that if I don't return the receiver I will be charged $400. I did return it, but what about the $200 I spent for the old receiver? Now I spent $200 for a receiver I don't own. It really makes me think twice before I try to get a new hd dvr to replace my existing HD Tivo.

I just swapped out a defective h20 receiver that I purchased last year. I have now been sent a letter that I am leasing the new receiver and that if I don't return the receiver I will be charged $400. I did return it, but what about the $200 I spent for the old receiver? Now I spent $200 for a receiver I don't own. It really makes me think twice before I try to get a new hd dvr to replace my existing HD Tivo.

Did you own the H20 or was it leased? If you owned it, you should also own the replacement......

Call D* and explain the situation. They will change it back to owned after you go through the hoops.

If you bought it last the warranty is expired. Did they charge you to swap it? If not that is way the new box is a lease.

How much did you pay for the HR20. If you paid 299 or less then you did not won it.

I paid $299 but I didn't go through DirecTv, I went through Value Electronics. And if I was leasing before, why does the letter I received say, "Welcome to the Leasing program."

And since I am now leasing and don't own the receiver they sent me, why would I have to return the one I purchased or be charged $400 for it.

I paid $299 but I didn't go through DirecTv, I went through Value Electronics. And if I was leasing before, why does the letter I received say, "Welcome to the Leasing program."

And since I am now leasing and don't own the receiver they sent me, why would I have to return the one I purchased or be charged $400 for it.

The letter came after you swapped the reciver right? It should be that if you cancel your account and don't return the box you will be charged $400. Yon can call them and confirm that but I bet that is what it means.

If I call D* right now and say I want the HR20 they would charge me $299 and it would be a lease. Heck look at the new Tivo's there 799 but you own them.

If I call D* right now and say I want the HR20 they would charge me $299 and it would be a lease. Heck look at the new Tivo's there 799 but you own them.

Yes, but when the warranty is up, you are responsible for it. With the lease, they will replace it if anything goes wrong.

I dont understand the fuss over leased Vs. owned ? My HR is leased but the others are owned. Personnaly I like the lease option in case anything goes wrong.

Same thing happened to me. This issue isn't leased vs. owned, the issue is this fella is now out of however much he paid, out of a box that has a resale value, and, as I did, perhaps might feel slighted by the switch without being informed about it.

My purchased (BestBuy) box went bad, DirecTV simply (only) instructed me to send mine back in the box the replacement comes in. I thought customer service and tech help was excellent, and I felt like the 10 year subscriber that I am (was, switched to Fios last month).

However, not only did they not inform me of the shipping charge, but I later found out- months later, that my box I paid for was replaced with a loaner.

Some bellyaching allowed me to keep the replacement, but I lost a lot of confidence in their CSRs and I had to do a lot of bellyaching. Be nice, ask around, and they might just set it straight.

Same thing happened to me. This issue isn't leased vs. owned, the issue is this fella is now out of however much he paid, out of a box that has a resale value, and, as I did, perhaps might feel slighted by the switch without being informed about it.

My purchased (BestBuy) box went bad, DirecTV simply (only) instructed me to send mine back in the box the replacement comes in. I thought customer service and tech help was excellent, and I felt like the 10 year subscriber that I am (was, switched to Fios last month).

However, not only did they not inform me of the shipping charge, but I later found out- months later, that my box I paid for was replaced with a loaner.

Some bellyaching allowed me to keep the replacement, but I lost a lot of confidence in their CSRs and I had to do a lot of bellyaching. Be nice, ask around, and they might just set it straight.

You have described the way I fell and why I feel that way exactly. If they would have told me up front that the only way to replace it would be a leased receiver I would have still done the swap but I wouldn't be as angry about it. The receiver I sent back did have issues with reboots on HD channels but on SD it worked perfectly.

Sounds like a scam to me. I'm sure the attorney gerneral's office would love to hear this one.

[]...The receiver I sent back did have issues with reboots on HD channels but on SD it worked perfectly.

Strange, not only was our issue handled in the same manner, but this is exactly what was happening to my box.

I don't understand why people are paying $299 for a DVR? I am a new subscriber and they offered me a free HD DVR, not the std DVR but the HD DVR. Oh wait probably because I am in a contract and a lot of you a have lived up to your contracts already. Forget I said anything....

Guys,
Best way to communicate with DTV is the internet and your account on their web site, Directv.com. And you have a record of the conversation. Include access card numbers receiver ID #s serial numbers and model #s.

If one leases eq they are actually buying "usership". I don't know how long DTV will replace the boxes but there seems to be a disconnect between the beginning of service and the beginning and end of the lease period.

Enjoy,

Joe

when did you "buy" the H20 because it was after March 1st (IIRC) of 2006 that they switched to leasing even though you are paying for it... i know because i signed up in February and the 2 basic receivers that i got are mine to keep but a month later i got a third and it is leased (though) i paid nothing for it becasue it was basic. Even the HR20 that i "bought" for $99 is leased and that was just last month. check your dates

when did you "buy" the H20 because it was after March 1st (IIRC) of 2006 that they switched to leasing even though you are paying for it...

I "bought" my H20 in February 2006, in part due to this change in policy that I learned about here. The swapout was around July. In fact, they even "restarted" by subscription commitment when the leased box was issued.

It all sorted ok, and after some contact via internet (it IS the best way to communicate...), I spoke to a fellow named Sergio who was very helpful and informative. I just would have felt more comfortable with the knowledge upfront.

Unfortunately I am not the only one this has happened to.

Did you own the H20 or was it leased? If you owned it, you should also own the replacement......

I didn't have to pay anything additional, but now I'm "leasing"... had this happen a couple months ago. ... However, they replaced for free, so I dealt with it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts