Before I order Direct, what's the cost?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjsurfer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I'm dumping TWC for Direct and before I call to order I would like to know what you guys think I should be charged before hand. Initial cost and montly fee.....

I need one HD/DVR (so my wife can record dancing with the stars:rolleyes:) and I have a second HD TV in a downstairs room so I would need a second HD receiver box. Wiring should be in place because of the existing TWC setup in the house.

I'm not going to bother with locals at this time, too much bother to set up an outside antenna and adapter for the HR-21, if that's the HD/DVR they are sending out now.

I'm looking at the 200 Channel package with no NFL or extras.

Sooo, there it is, just curious prices you guys think I'll be quoted.

Thank you.

Ron W.

You will probably have to pay $100-200 up front to get both a HD receiver (H21 or H23) and a HD DVR (HR21 or HR22). The Plus HD DVR (200+ channels) is $54.99 for 12 months (going up to $72.99 after the 12 months, but there may be a small increase by then). The HD DVR has two tuners and requires two cables (there is a single-cable "SWM" solution but that is normally restricted to those with 5-8 tuners). It can be used with a single tuner if there is no practical way to string another cable, but you won't be able to record one program while watching another live program.

Directv will likely offer you free Starz or Showtime for a period of time.

Bob,

First, thanks for the reply.

I guess I'm confused about not being able to watch a live program while something else is being recorded?

Thanks

Ron

With the DVR (or the HD DVR) you'll be able to watch one program while recording another, provided you have it hooked up correctly. You'll need 2 lines running to one DVR box, in most cases. This may require additional wiring when you get it installed, but it should be part of the free installation.

My experience with Directv has been awful. I jumped on a 39.99 deal with free movie channels for 3 months but they did not tell me or send me a email informing me that I had to apply for a rebate within 60 days in order to get that deal. After the 60 days past they told me it was too late and started charging me the usual rate. Only have two receivers..one is a DVR and the other is a standard receiver. I have had directv for 3 months and they just got the second receiver working. A sales lady called and told me I could get all the movie channels and the NFL package for 5$ a month through Jan. 09. She said nothing about 74.00. I cancelled when another sales lady told me the actual price. They are now trying to find the audio from the conversation I had with the first lady about it being 5$ a month. They do not believe me. One tech that came out to fix a problem other techs caused ended up cutting my mother's comcast cable in the basement. When I called him he said, " I will fix it the next time I am in town." Directv was not much better...they wanted my mother to wait 7 days before they could fix a problem they caused. Comcast came out the next day and fixed the problem Directv caused. I tried to cancel the whole deal with them but they said I would have to pay over 450.00 early cancellation fee. I will cancel when my contract is up. I had other issues with them too...but that is enough.

Bob,

First, thanks for the reply.

I guess I'm confused about not being able to watch a live program while something else is being recorded?

Thanks

Ron

In order to watch one live program while recording another, it takes two tuners. If you only have one cable connected, only one tuner will be functional. You will be able to watch a recorded program while recording another.

My experience with Directv has been awful. I jumped on a 39.99 deal with free movie channels for 3 months but they did not tell me or send me a email informing me that I had to apply for a rebate within 60 days in order to get that deal. After the 60 days past they told me it was too late and started charging me the usual rate. Only have two receivers..one is a DVR and the other is a standard receiver. I have had directv for 3 months and they just got the second receiver working. A sales lady called and told me I could get all the movie channels and the NFL package for 5$ a month through Jan. 09. She said nothing about 74.00. I cancelled when another sales lady told me the actual price. They are now trying to find the audio from the conversation I had with the first lady about it being 5$ a month. They do not believe me. One tech that came out to fix a problem other techs caused ended up cutting my mother's comcast cable in the basement. When I called him he said, " I will fix it the next time I am in town." Directv was not much better...they wanted my mother to wait 7 days before they could fix a problem they caused. Comcast came out the next day and fixed the problem Directv caused. I tried to cancel the whole deal with them but they said I would have to pay over 450.00 early cancellation fee. I will cancel when my contract is up. I had other issues with them too...but that is enough.

All the movie channels and NFL Sunday Ticket for $5 a month???? I don't understand why they didn't believe you.

I'm dumping TWC for Direct and before I call to order I would like to know what you guys think I should be charged before hand. Initial cost and montly fee.....

I need one HD/DVR (so my wife can record dancing with the stars:rolleyes:) and I have a second HD TV in a downstairs room so I would need a second HD receiver box. Wiring should be in place because of the existing TWC setup in the house.

I'm not going to bother with locals at this time, too much bother to set up an outside antenna and adapter for the HR-21, if that's the HD/DVR they are sending out now.

I'm looking at the 200 Channel package with no NFL or extras.

Sooo, there it is, just curious prices you guys think I'll be quoted.
Ron W.
If you have AAA, you will get the best deal. You can get the HD DVR for $99 ($100 off D* Promo) and the HD receiver for free ($100 off AAA special). Then you can sign up for the HD Plus DVR package for $73 and discounts of $18/ mo for 12 months (D* Promo) and a discount of $10/mo for 24 mo (AAA special) . Add the extra receiver fee of $5/mo and it will cost you $50/mo for the first yr and $60/mo the second yr. Keep in mind that the D* special ends on 10/7 though. If you don't have AAA, its worth signing up to save $340 over 2 years. Then if you use someone that has D* as a referral, you will and that person will get $50 off, $10/mo for 5 months.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts