Beginner to FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The dB gain turns the needle up and down, like a volume control, when you hit a DBS bird the meter will go off the scale, you use the gain to turn down the meter so that you can effectively peak the signal.
Extreme II is a standard LNBF 10750 L.O.

I don't see the distortion but I would try using the dish without taking it apart just to see what you get. If you have an analog tuner try that first. I have a 5 foot I hope to play with again soon.

aristotle73 said:
It is six feet in diameter.
Note: I'm definitely going to have to take the dish apart and put it back together. I think the panels became uneven after the wind knocked it over :|

Note: Even the smallest movement can get the sat or loss it. Think 1/8" to 1/4" movements toward the end of this process. Well at least for Ku digital.

Hook the meter up between the LNB and receiver. Note the meter is labeled at both ends. Rec and LNB.

Next make sure the meter lights up. It should light up after you turn on the receiver.
Turn the knob until the meter makes noise. Then back off until it stops.
Next move dish till meter makes noise again. Try to move the dish close to the sat you want. Sometime they are close.
Keep fine tuning the dish by having the meter make noise and then tuning the knob on the meter until it does not make noise.

Once you get close then try to blind scan for the sat. Once you have some transponders and channels pick a channel and use your receivers quality meter to make the last adjustment of the dish. Try to get the quality as high as you can.

Good luck and if anyone else can add to this please do.

aristotle73 said:
Tron: I'm using it for Ku band. 0_o I plan on using the Extreme II LNBf.
Also, how do I use the SF-95? It looks like a finely tuned ammeter; but beyond that, I don't know how to work it. What does the dB gain knob do?

Amway made a satellite receiver. Does anybody else realize how funny that is? Yes, it's the old multi-level soap sales company.

Maybe this was a cheap generic analog box they could give out to their top sales reps preconfigured so that they could have company broadcasts from headquarters, who knows?

Last edited:
I'm seeing everyone using a DBS LNBf to get NASA TV. Will I still be able to pick up that channel with a Ku Linear LNBf? Do I need a DBS LNBf for some FTA?

I can pick up Nasa TV with my linear LNBF, give it a try. Do a blind scan and see what you get, it does not work in all parts of the country. For example I can get NASA but I can't get GOL TV!

Other wise you will need a DBS LNB, apart from the above about all you can get FTA on DBS are a bunch of radio channels. I use the Invacom QPH-031 for KU and DBS.

ken2400: Thx :D Will do!

PSB: GOL TV?

Edit: Just wanted to ask what I should use to wipe off the dirt from my dish? It needs a little cleaning.

Last edited:
I don't think I am doing something correctly. The SF-95 hit 100% and I couldn't shut it up no matter how much I turned the gain knob.

I have had the same problem. I have turned the knob and turned the receiver on and off a few times. Don't know why it does it but it should stop.

Good luck and keep us posted.

aristotle73 said:
I don't think I am doing something correctly. The SF-95 hit 100% and I couldn't shut it up no matter how much I turned the gain knob.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)