Beginner's software for DVB PCIe or USB receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Continuing...
Been trying to contact the e-bay seller about the TBS 5980, power supply, etc. No luck so far. In the meanwhile I have been using it with a stable power supply, but the last few times I had it running it quits after about 5 minutes. This am it only worked for about a minute, then the receiver stopped working. Not long enough to do a blind scan etc. Repeated a while after againwith the same results. I suspect there is damage to the unit from the problematic power supply and it has just about completely failed, likely an overheated semiconductor. Doesn't seem to be warrenty (seller doesn't respond), so it would seem this was a waste of $70. I don't think there is any point in contacting a different seller (US based?) for warranty replacment/service, wouldn't be fair to them, unless they might have a suggestion or contact info for the people I originally purchased the device from I suppose...

DVB-S2, if you have a chance maybe check your p/s for ac voltage. Maybe I just got a bad p/s.
Cham, sorry somehow I missed seeing your post with this question. I just tested my 5980 p/s. It shows 7.84 volts DC no-load, with zero volts AC, whichever way round the plug is inserted into the 120 v socket. Since my post a month ago, I've used my 5980 a lot more, spending hours blind scanning some days. It has never got more than slightly warm. Seems like I got lucky and you got unlucky!

Seems like I got lucky and you got unlucky!

Yes... it would seem. Still no answer from the retailers. Sent a message off to TBS yesterday too, maybe they have some pull with the retailer.
Glad yours is working, seems to be a good unit for most that have them. Think mine has been messed up from the start.
If I purchase another unit (likely a different one, but might be same manufacturer) will make sure it is sourced more locally rather than Taiwan.

Still using the TBS5980 but it still has problems.
One question for any of you that use PCIe card or USB satellite receivers:
Do you think the sensitivity on PC receivers is as good, better, or worse than a good "set top box"?
Just curious on your opinions; or facts if you have specs to compare.
-C.

I have two Ax Ultras. Just use them to watch TV. They work(.)!
Updates are over rated. Hardware has limitations that can't ever be delt with by changing software. Usually the hardware is getting close to being out-dated by the time updates stop anyway.

Back to topic...
Measured the power supply voltage, says 7.5 on the p/s case, voltmeter says 8.9V (open circuit), likely within tolerance.
But... checked for A/C voltage and I get 2V A/C!
Set up a bench supply for 7.5 volts DC (no A/C) and the device seems to run fine and a lot cooler??? Had it receiving one of the 24hr TPs on G19C all night an was still going strong in the morning.
I could not reproduce the 2vAC from the factory p/s on the bench though. Tried on the UPS again and it's gone there now too! Just for xxxxx and giggles I inverted the a/c plug (non polarized) and I get 2V of AC again!
Either it is something with my UPS or the p/s is sensitive to how it's plugged in (polarity). At least I think I have found the problem.

DVB-S2, if you have a chance maybe check your p/s for ac voltage. Maybe I just got a bad p/s.
I definitely have AC ripple problems with switching power packs on modified sine wave (AKA square wave) inverters and UPS, and several generators.

In my experience, the better quality PCIe cards have very good sensitivity and outperform STBs. The TBS6983 easily has one of the best tuner/demods that I have owned.
Many others with the same card express the same view. I hope to get one of those or something similar in the near future.

Reactions: Titanium
Picked up a TBS-6903, works very well. No software crashing, intermittent signals, overheating, etc. I have it working with all the software I was using except SmartDVB witch does work, just won't blindscan for some reason, likely a setting or maybe update. Just use the scans I had done with the previous device. Much better sensitivity/selectivity on weaker signals too.

The 5980 I was using definitely has a major problem, would be a decent device if it worked consistently. Too bad I got a bad one.

-C.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)