max tracker plus

Status
Please reply by conversation.

danristheman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
85w
Would this meter be any good for FTA what do you guys think? Is SAtpro any good from Florida?

on Ebay sorry can't get the link to work

Never heard of the meter until now.
According to the description it will work with FTA, of course I have never tried one though.

If it is the meter FTA4PA points out, I would be a bit hesitant as it sounds like updates and satellite data is only from the company's web site. I haven't used one, so my comment is based solely upon what was stated in the ebay listing. If they fold up or just decide to quit supporting the thing, you could end up with a meter with satellite data that would be just getting more outdated as each day passes.

If it turns out that the user can update the satellite data themselves, then my fear would be totally unfounded. Just my $0.02 worth and worth even less than that. :)

Reactions: FTA4PA and KE4EST
I agree with bpalone. It works like the Birdog meters do. You go to their site and configure things the way you want it and then it generates a data file to load onto your meter.
However, Birdog has been around for a long, long time, so it is easier to drop the money if one wanted to.
Even, if Birdog closed up shop,one would be screwed unless they released something to the public upon closing.
With Birdog you can enter one custom transponder, voltage, 22K on/off, LO, etc...it does not retain it though for future use.

Reactions: FTA4PA
If it is the meter FTA4PA points out, I would be a bit hesitant as it sounds like updates and satellite data is only from the company's web site. I haven't used one, so my comment is based solely upon what was stated in the ebay listing. If they fold up or just decide to quit supporting the thing, you could end up with a meter with satellite data that would be just getting more outdated as each day passes.

If it turns out that the user can update the satellite data themselves, then my fear would be totally unfounded. Just my $0.02 worth and worth even less than that. :)
Haven't heard back from Dan yet but must agree with bpalone if this is the meter Dan's talking about. If updates are only through their website then I would pass. I know Birdog updates their meters this way as well but not likely they are going away anytime soon and they have kept support for older models (and you can enter a customized sat if you need to).

I've had batteries and screens fail on my birdog ultras - all replaced under warranty, so no complaints. I went to the AI S2 Turbo and haven't looked back.
I would recommend the First Strike FS1 for a hobbiest since it is super easy to add sat parameters, though it is much more $ than the MaxTracker in the listing, but much cheaper than a birdog or AI. The FS1 does do DVB-S2 but does not show a lock, just the C/N which is pretty much the same. I think most guys here like the Sathero - not sure which models.

Sorry for the delay but yes that is the meter I didn't know what you guys thought what is a good meter then? under $100 to, $100 to $200.

I have a First Strike FS1, think I paid a little over two hundred for it about three years ago.

I like it, it works good. No lock on dvb-S2, but it does show S and Q for S2. Rugged too, which is important for me, I've dropped mine a few times when my legs have given out, when it's take a dive off of the ladder or drop the meter, meters going!

I have had to resolder the plug in it for the power pack, but I think that's from me dropping it with the power pack hooked up. The battery doesn't last long anymore either, I can get 25 minutes or so out of it now, when it was new, probably an hour, hour and a half.

Really like it though and like Pacificrim said, it's easy to setup. You can program in a bunch of custom sats, too. I've read that there is knock offs made of the FS1, so that's something to keep in mind if you see a screaming good deal on one somewhere.

I have SatHero SH200 HD and like it. It isn't the one you will find on most sites with the custom software. It is a clone, but it does S2 and is easy to update the satellite list. The only thing I know to make you aware of, is that it does not like the way Linux writes files to it via the USB. It requires it to be written to it with Windows. I have only used 2K, but assume XP and newer works well.

I think several others also use this meter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.