Belmont Stakes

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
The Belmont Stakes is the 3rd leg of the Triple Crown. You know the setting....

Mine That Bird (the previously unknown "little gelding from New Mexico") won the Kentucky Derby as a 50-1 longshot. Bird finished 2nd in the Preakness. Jockey Calvin Borel rode Bird in the Kentucky Derby, but chose to ride filly, Rachel Alexandra for the Preakness. They finished first in that race.

For the Belmont, Rachel isn't running, so Borel is hoping back onto Bird. He's looking to be the first jockey to win the Triple Crown atop different horses. This 1-1/2 mile track, the longest of the 3 races, suits Bird well. In the previous races, the "litte guy" started off slow, but gained speed as the race went on. To add to the drama, Jockey Calvin Borel already guaranteed a victory...

"We're going to win it, no questions asked, Calvin Borel said. "

"I wouldn't trade places with anybody."
Let this be the place we root on the little guy, Mine That Bird. He's the one who's been the underdog throughout his career. He doesn't have big money behind him and is from a sleepy ol' town in New Mexico. He was a 50-1 shot that won the Derby, yet in the 2nd leg of the Triple Crown, his jockey jumped off him and onto another horse. Bird still finished 2nd. Let this be the race that Mine That Bird seals his legacy among Horse Racing's greatest!!!

Go Bird!!!

The Belmont Stakes is the 3rd leg of the Triple Crown. You know the setting....Let this be the place we root on the little guy, Mine That Bird. He's the one who's been the underdog throughout his career. He doesn't have big money behind him and is from a sleepy ol' town in New Mexico. He was a 50-1 shot that won the Derby, yet in the 2nd leg of the Triple Crown, his jockey jumped off him and onto another horse. Bird still finished 2nd. Let this be the race that Mine That Bird seals his legacy among Horse Racing's greatest!!!

Go Bird!!!

I would like to see the Jockey triple crown.

Should be fun to watch. I'm pulling more for the "Bird" than for Borel - I really wanted him to catch Rachel in that Preakness. But of all the jockeys to pull a triple crown on different horses, it will be nice that it's the Cajun Borel doing it.

Geaux Bird! :)

Should be fun to watch. I'm pulling more for the "Bird" than for Borel - I really wanted him to catch Rachel in that Preakness. But of all the jockeys to pull a triple crown on different horses, it will be nice that it's the Cajun Borel doing it.

Geaux Bird! :)

Me too brother. :up

Go Bird! Fly you wonderful Bird, fly!!!

I think he would have won the Preakness if Borel was riding him. The jockey on MTB ran a poor race, from what i could see. He waited too long to move the horse up, and then got caught in traffic.

I think he would have won the Preakness if Borel was riding him. The jockey on MTB ran a poor race, from what i could see. He waited too long to move the horse up, and then got caught in traffic.
I agree, and he still almost pulled it out. A longer race should play in his favor. Bird sure runs with a lot of balls to not actually have any. ;)

He rode almost the exact race. The ONLY difference was the distance. IF we are talking the same disatnce as the Kentucky Derby....we would be talking a bout MTB going for a Triple Crown. PERSONALLY, I would have NEVER let Borel back on MTB. I would have let the same jockety ride MTB again...he earned it by almost winning the Preakness....Borel got the ride by default.

He rode almost the exact race. The ONLY difference was the distance. IF we are talking the same disatnce as the Kentucky Derby....we would be talking a bout MTB going for a Triple Crown. PERSONALLY, I would have NEVER let Borel back on MTB. I would have let the same jockety ride MTB again...he earned it by almost winning the Preakness....Borel got the ride by default.
I think Smith let MTB fall a little further back off the pace than Borel did before making his run, but he did move on up just like the derby (only to run out of track this time).

I can see where you're coming from about Borel. Since he dissed the Bird in the Preakness for a favorite, I'd be kinda reluctant to let him ride Bird too. Then again, I'd want the best jockey I could get.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)