Status
Please reply by conversation.

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi All,

As I work on getting my BUD set up in its new location, I was thinking my DISEqC switch and my 2 High Freq. splitters have been in operation for 16 years. Should they need to be replaced, whats the best affordable brand out there and where should I get it ?
The switch and splitters I currently have were purchased from Sadoun.
Thanks in advance.

John.

Thanks guys for your suggestions.
What I'm specifically looking for is a 4X1 DiSEqC switch and 2-Way splitter (one port pass).
My current set up may still be working okay, but I won't know until I set up my dish in its new location. I wanted to be ready to replace if need be.

John

Thanks for the reminder, Fred. Just picked a brand new one up for free that had been advertised on Kijiji.

Catamount

Reactions: JFOK
You know, i've blown a few of the Chieta's because i forgot to unplug the receiver when working with them.. I think i have blown three Diseqc switches.. SO, i ended up buying like 5 of the cheapo ones from ebay for the same price as one chieta, and i have not noticed any issues with them. For as often as i was going through them, seemed like the smart choice for me.

Merry Christmas to me:
chieta.jpg

Reactions: FTA4PA and KE4EST
I have a hookup in the den. When you hookup a known good receiver in there its fine, then after an hour no signal on any sat. Mutiswitches are fine, no problem on any other receiver in the house. Figured it had to be the Amiko 4x1 diseqc on the drop to the den. Trying to get all the last minute tweaks done while its in the mid 70's here.
Will swap out tomorrow.
All four Diseqcs will be Chietas then:

Four Powered Multiswitches.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a difference between the diseqc 1 and 1.1 switches other than the 1.1 can have more ports?

Also can you cascade diseqc 1.0 after a diseqc 1.1 or diseqc 2.0 (or is it avisa-versa)?

Got a box of Ariza 4X1 switches a few years ago, they seem to work well but not likely available anymore. Also have some EMP Centari P.184-iw switches kicking around...

I found the Chieta switches did not last very long. Likely very sensitive to lightning storms and RF. Nice big enclosures though.

Is there a difference between the diseqc 1 and 1.1 switches other than the 1.1 can have more ports?

Also can you cascade diseqc 1.0 after a diseqc 1.1 or diseqc 2.0 (or is it avisa-versa)?

I found the Chieta switches did not last very long. Likely very sensitive to lightning storms and RF. Nice big enclosures though.

I had the same problem with the Chieta switches... I had two, and they both failed on me. It was probably my fault, as i kept playing with them without unplugging the receiver.

YES, you can cascade them. I do that myself. 1.0 or 2.0 are the same switch wise and can be cascaded with a 1.1 or 2.1

Reactions: Cham
Ok, so circuit would be:
sat receiver > diseqc1.1 > diseqc1.0(2.0) - LNBF or would the 1.0 and 1.1 have to be reversed, or does it matter?

I used cascaded switches in the past but don't have any set up now. At that time I had an 8x1 1.1 switch connected to the receiver with 4x1 1.0 switches connected to two of the ports. Worked fine.

Reactions: Cham
Ok, so circuit would be:
sat receiver > diseqc1.1 > diseqc1.0(2.0) - LNBF or would the 1.0 and 1.1 have to be reversed, or does it matter?

Diseqc-wise it doesn't matter.

However: there are receivers in which you cannot manually set or change the order of diseqc commands, and which don't support the automatic repeating of the diseqc sequence.
These receivers use the order first diseqc 1.1 and then diseqc 1.0 commands.
In that case you should use Receiver - Diseqc 1.1 - Diseqc 1.0 - lnb-s, as you wrote.

Greetz,
A33

Reactions: Cham and iBoston
Great information, especially for those new into the hobby.
Thanks for the replies, was never really sure how to cascade the switches since I have not done that before.
Thinking of replacing a 22KHz switch with a diseqc switch, will see how that goes. Already have plans to add two more multi-switches, just need to set up the power supply for them and will be in business. My 30/118 dishes don't play well wiith the multiswitches without running an extra 80ft of feedline so this might be somehting to try.
-C.

I have a hookup in the den. When you hookup a known good receiver in there its fine, then after an hour no signal on any sat. Mutiswitches are fine, no problem on any other receiver in the house. Figured it had to be the Amiko 4x1 diseqc on the drop to the den. Trying to get all the last minute tweaks done while its in the mid 70's here.
Will swap out tomorrow.
All four Diseqcs will be Chietas then:

View attachment 112025

Diseqc switch swap fixed the issue.

I was running two Amikos and two Chietas. The receivers connected to the two Chietas remain on 24/7.
The receivers connected to the Amiko switches only on sometimes.
I always pull power on receivers and multiswitches when working on system.
No idea what caused the switch to go out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.