Best CBand satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MrMylesG

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Perry Hall, MD
I am thinking about getting a 6' or 7' c-band dish that will be stationary. I have a KU band motorized setup already. If I can get a waiver from my HOA, I have a perfect place to put it. So if I only have one satellite to aim at, which would give the most bang for the buck?

Now, I have read that a solid dish will work, but the prices for a solid 6' are pretty high (at least to me). I have a c-band analog receiver 350i but it is sitting in the garage. For c-band digital I could use either my Fortec Ultra or my Captiveworks 600s. I really like the ala carte' programs for c-band. Later down the road I plan on getting 4DTV.

So I guess my question is this, should I get a solid 6' or mesh 7'? This is still in the planning stage and of course everything depends on the HOA.

Thanks for your help!:)

Most guys with a fixed dish park on G4 for the nets. I found out today that I am also getting some "bleedover" from IA5 even on digital so that is a bonus. Still some analog here as well. I'm not sure if a six-footer would be big enough to get ala carte subs though. The reason I say that is because I was fooling around with my DC2+ on IA6 and it reported a quality of 10. However the manual stated that a quality of 60 was needed to sub. I may not have been completely "on" the sat but it still seems low and I can only attribute that to the small dish size. Maybe others will jump in with more info.

For some reason I am having problems getting the nets on G4. W_Tracy...what are the TP and SR settings you have for the nets? I get nothing with the lyngsat freqs and blind scan...I'll try an advance scan with what you have if you can help me out.

That's what I am trying to say...I can't blindscan them in. I get the HD feeds and a couple of test cards but no network stations.

MrMylesG said:
I am thinking about getting a 6' or 7' c-band dish

Your best bet is to get a 8.5' mesh or solid, it's not that much bigger and you will be able to pull all the 4dtv and most dvb feeds in, If you can't get a 8.5' at all, then 8' solid or a Sami 7.5' mesh, make sure to get with polar mount and grab a cheap arm for now, I honestly would not go anything below 8.5'
Good Luck!

I have a 6 ft dish and from IA 6 to Anik F2, there's only been one MPEG signal I couldn't get. If you are into networks then G4 might be best. For sports, IA 6 and G3 are also good especially during college and pre-season football and basketball seasons.

tdti1 said:
Your best bet is to get a 8.5' mesh or solid, it's not that much bigger and you will be able to pull all the 4dtv and most dvb feeds in, If you can't get a 8.5' at all, then 8' solid or a Sami 7.5' mesh, make sure to get with polar mount and grab a cheap arm for now, I honestly would not go anything below 8.5'
Good Luck!

I agree. If you're going to set up a BUD why limit yourself to one sat?

MikeI said:
I have a 6 ft dish and from IA 6 to Anik F2, there's only been one MPEG signal I couldn't get. If you are into networks then G4 might be best. For sports, IA 6 and G3 are also good especially during college and pre-season football and basketball seasons.

A mesh or solid dish..

I use a mesh 6' dish and it works GREAT for most all Digital C-band signals!

They would not make them if they never! And with the new low noise C-Band LNB's some with the latest BSC technology, if you come across a 6' dish GRAB it!

Of course bigger is always better!

PSB said:
I use a mesh 6' dish and it works GREAT for most all Digital C-band signals!

They would not make them if they never! And with the new low noise C-Band LNB's some with the latest BSC technology, if you come across a 6' dish GRAB it!

Of course bigger is always better!

I'm hoping to get a mesh 6'er to start.. I was kinda interested in the analog side for now.. I was thinking about grabbing Showtime off G14 or G10 but, this post doesn't sound very promising..

MikeI said:
A 6 ft dish is tough to use for the videocypher channels. Some won't lock and those that do have lots of sparklies particularly on G14 and birds near there. TNT is one of the stronger ones.

BKP said:
I'm hoping to get a mesh 6'er to start.. I was kinda interested in the analog side for now.. I was thinking about grabbing Showtime off G14 or G10 but, this post doesn't sound very promising..

I would go bigger if you want to subscribe.

I like IA-13 at 121. The big draws are:

ImaginAsian (AC3)
The Sportsman channel
EuroNews (AC3)
International Music Feed
Fuse
The Soundtrack Channel
The Documentary Channel

I get all the local nets off-air. I like to catch Uncle Morty's dub shack on ImaginAsian.

The analog Shotimes on G0/G5 (G10R / Galaxy 14) would be pretty snowy on a 6' dish. The West end of the arc is packed which is why so many people bring up the 2 degree spacing issue and 8'+ dishes.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use a 6 ft dish just for videocypher channels. Some are okay, but if you have adjacent satellites with analog videocypher feeds then you will have a lot of snow which will interfere with your sound if you are able to get a picture. My 10 ft dish I had at home was perfect for these channels. 6 ft won't work.

On regular analog channels tonight, I was watching the Rangers game on IA 5 Tr 13. Recipe TV came on Tr 14 during the game. On G4, the Minnesota Lottery came on Tr 12 before the game and there was some intelsat color bars that came on Tr 14 during the game. The combination of this even for a regular analog channel made the Rangers game unwatchable during the lifetime of the other feeds especially the ones from G4. Videocypher channels are the same way, but they are 24/7. The interference won't go away with a 6 ft dish.

If you could ever find one, I like the perforated aluminium dishes from Winegard. I have had mine 20 + years.
Advantages...
lets a little wind thru in high wind areas (better than solid)Mine has been thru 90+ mph windstorms and actually is watchable in about 60mph! (depends on your actuator too!
Great for Ku (FTA too) and digital as well
Easier to handle (panels) than solid)
LASTS FOREVER...SO FAR ANYWAY. Mine was powdercoated

I think it is the best of the Mesh/solid world...and mine is only 8ft. NEVER had ANY problem getting any signal either (of course with Norstat LNB's...that helps too!

I guess that clears up the analog VCII for me.. At least on a mesh 6'er.. How about on the digital side for pay channels, the same as analog.. Thanks

BKP said:
I guess that clears up the analog VCII for me.. At least on a mesh 6'er.. How about on the digital side for pay channels, the same as analog.. Thanks

Digital side as in MPEG?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)