Best DirecTv Offer for New Customer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Y2J

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
US
I am a long time Dish Network customer of well over a decade. I am looking to switch to DirecTV because I'd like to be able to record more than 3 shows at a time that the Hopper provides and I'd also like to get all my local channels in HD including the WB network which Dish doesn't provide.

So I'm looking at leasing a DIRECTV Home Media Center HD DVR along with an HD receiver for the 2nd room.

The extra offers I've found thus far in addition to the standard DirecTV promo are a $120 Gift Card from Costco, the $100 customer referral offer and the AAA discount of $200. It looks like the AAA discount is the best one.

Is there any other better offers than AAA?

I'd also like to hear opinions from people who have had Dish Network and switched to DirecTV. Any downsides to DirecTV when compared to Dish? Is the HD picture quality better than Dish? What about the HD DVR? Any downsides to DirecTV's Home Media Center vs. the Hopper?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Call DirecTV and talk to them. You'll get your best deal at this point since they'll want to do whatever is possible to get you to sign up.

FWIW, I'd rather have individual DVRs than the the HR34. With only the one HR34, you have no backup and if the receiver fails you'll lose everything on that box.

get as many dvrs now as you think you may ever need

its cheaper then waiting

go for at least 1 hr34 and 1 hr24

The only downside with directv is their equipment except the h25 seems laggy. You push the remote control and the receiver just sits there for a second, not responding! Never had that problem with DISH. But,then again i wasn't running a 8 tuner whole home set-up (hr34,hr24,h25). Besides, the increased Picture Quality w/ Directv more than makes up for the second or 2 occasional wait.

The only downside with directv is their equipment except the h25 seems laggy. You push the remote control and the receiver just sits there for a second, not responding! Never had that problem with DISH. But,then again i wasn't running a 8 tuner whole home set-up (hr34,hr24,h25). Besides, the increased Picture Quality w/ Directv more than makes up for the second or 2 occasional wait.

How can you say that. I wish mine was like that. I have a HR34 that I got a few months back and the guide is way too fast! I can scroll over a hundred channels in under two seconds. It is so fast that I have had to learn to let go of the button about 20 channels before the one I want otherwise I will pass it up.

How can you say that. I wish mine was like that. I have a HR34 that I got a few months back and the guide is way too fast! I can scroll over a hundred channels in under two seconds. It is so fast that I have had to learn to let go of the button about 20 channels before the one I want otherwise I will pass it up.

Yes, the guide is fast? But, i'm talking about it hanging up at times. No response from a button push on the remote. It froze solid yesterday and i had to hit the red button next to the smart card. At that time i decided to force a software download. It's better now!

Generally the $200 for AAA on top of the national promo is the best that anyone has received extra. Some have been able to combine a $100 referral and the $200 AAA by calling the AAA line and being very persistent, sometimes involving multiple calls before installation. I don't remember anyone getting more than that.

Well after talking with 3 Dirt members and 2 people at Dish Network's executive office, it is official. Dish Network doesn't give a damn about its long term customers! I've been with them for 13 years and they refuse to give me 2 Hoppers. They want me to take 2 922s instead! So long Dish, DirecTV here I come for good! Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my initial questions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.