Best HDTV under $1000?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
With the Holidays just around the corner time to think about upgrading that old "secondary" TV set in the bedroom or in the guestroom. I am sure I am not the only one thinking in that direction. ;)

So let's discuss our options. Since this is not the primary set, the size is not so important: I am thinking 32"-37", most likely LCD. It doesn't have to be true 1080p, as at this screen size, it won't matter.

So, what would you guys recommend? (I'll post my own picks later)

I have a Samsung 37" lcd for my office/den. Love it. I think it is model number 3732h. It is around $1000 or a little over that. Sharp has a good one also. If you have a Hhgreggs or Best Buy, You can find that one. The Sharp is a 37" and was on sell for $999. I have a 26" Sharp and really like the pick on that one too. I do not think you can go wrong with either Samsung or Sharp, though I know there are some people on here will disagree.

Once again I must ask, I assume that the display type you listed is your pre-determined type? For $1000 I would go with a quality FPTV that with perfectly scale down to your described size range AND if you ever move or grow, it will perfectly enlarge upward to more than said 40" - 96" (or more) too; all with nothing new to buy; NO ADDITIONAL COSTS! SWEET!

Last edited:
No, no, no.

Front Projector in a guest room? Not very practical.

I like Samsung LCD's best. Sharps aren't bad either, although some of the cheaper model series are. I've also been [suprisingly] impressed with Toshiba.

Why, why, why not? I am seeing it more and more these days; best bang for the buck and people are FINALLY stepping out of the stone age paradigms and realizing they are actually a much smaller footprint than so-called flat panels; a better value, plus they are expandable!

Front projection is really only effective in dark rooms. For multi-purpose rooms, a TV offers much more flexibility.

Myths (similar to what Best Buy or CC would pass along); "bad quality" FPTVs may need cave-like dark rooms, but you can buy quality for around $1000 that work perfectly in normal light; unless you happen to live on the sun or in a glass house..

With the Holidays just around the corner time to think about upgrading that old "secondary" TV set in the bedroom or in the guestroom. I am sure I am not the only one thinking in that direction. ;)

So let's discuss our options. Since this is not the primary set, the size is not so important: I am thinking 32"-37", most likely LCD. It doesn't have to be true 1080p, as at this screen size, it won't matter.

So, what would you guys recommend? (I'll post my own picks later)

Suggest checking out Consumer Reports.;)

Myths (similar to what Best Buy or CC would pass along); "bad quality" FPTVs may need cave-like dark rooms, but you can buy quality for around $1000 that work perfectly in normal light; unless you happen to live on the sun or in a glass house..

Don't even mention the big-box stores.

Normal light...I'll still perceive the blacks on the screen as white, because the screen is white and there's extra light.

Not great blacks whatsoever.

And bigger is not always better. The picture from a projector compared to the picture of a TV of the same size and same cost will be considerably worse with the projector. For about $1000 you can't get a decent projector with good image quality that will do a large size. And if you're doing a smaller size why do projection at all?

Don't get me wrong...I love using front projection...but in an appropriate situation. It works great in theater rooms. But not so great for bedrooms.

Anyway, the OP specifically asked for a TV.

circuit city selling samsung hl-t4675s and hl-t5075s for 899 and 999. i have th 4675s and it has an awesome hd picture

Reading the reviews on the Samsung''s on Circuit city, seems a lot of people are having sound issues, but they all agreed the picture was excellent.

Started thread here on possible sound systems http://www.satelliteguys.us/v-recei...s/112321-sound-system-bedroom-guest-room.html

I too am looking for a good priced TV for the bedroom so a good discussion for me, btw there is a Vizio thread in here with lots of suggestions that im watching too.

Last edited:
I know this wasnt part of the original posting but might be nice to add soem recommendations on this for a compact sound system or something for the bedroom.
Let's keep that in a separatge thread, please. ;)

What I would like to know though is which of the sub-$1000 sets have decent built-in speakers, so they could be used without any sound system: a typical case for a secondary set. I've read Panasonic offers better sound than others. Any thoughts?

For $1000 I would go with a quality FPTV
charper1, I am planning on getting a 1080p front projecter for my main home theater. But for the secondary set FP is not practical, in my case anyway: no light-controled environment, nowhere to hang the screen, limited portability, etc. etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts