Best LNB/LNBF and feedhorn

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Andyboy90

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Edmonton, Canada
If money is no object what lnb and feedhorn combo would you guys recommend? I have heard good things about the bullseye ii feedhorn but all I am interested is C band and no much in ku. Where i live (Northern Canada) majority of satellites are weak (37-39dbW). I am planning on installing a 10 foot satellite dish. I have looked at some chaparral feedhorns like corotor ii but i am assuming that the C/ku combo feedhorn would degrade C band performance which i would like to avoid.

My vote is for a Seavey 44c. :)

More realistically is the ESR-40 with servo option and model selected to match your reflector's FD. Seavey ESR-40 C-Band Single Linear Motorized Feedhorn (4 GHz)

For LNBs, an external referenced Norsat 3000 series or NJR PLL would be ideal, but the high stability requirement is more necessary for narrow data or audio services and not necesarrily needed if you typically watch medium FEC services on fat muxes.

My vote is for a Seavey 44c. :)

More realistically is the ESR-40 with servo option and model selected to match your reflector's FD. Seavey ESR-40 C-Band Single Linear Motorized Feedhorn (4 GHz)

For LNBs, an external referenced Norsat 3000 series or NJR PLL would be ideal, but the high stability requirement is more necessary for narrow data or audio services and not necesarrily needed if you typically watch medium FEC services on fat muxes.

What do you mean by narrow data? Also
I am able to get this California amplifier for about $100. Is it any good (see attached pic). How does it compare with norsat 3220
831_EBC1_B_29_BB_4_E6_C_87_AF_A1643_F8_E8_F16.jpg

What exactly do you mean by "Best LNB/LNBF and feedhorn"? Perhaps that for different antennas there will be different "best LNB/LNBF" performance wise . And, TBH, if you are looking for better performance of satellite system you better use bigger antenna instead of better LNB/LNBF.

What exactly do you mean by "Best LNB/LNBF and feedhorn"? Perhaps that for different antennas there will be different "best LNB/LNBF" performance wise . And, TBH, if you are looking for better performance of satellite system you better use bigger antenna instead of better LNB/LNBF.
I already specified that i am using a 10ft antenna. I am very well aware at this point that bigger is better but not everbody lives on a farm or in the country. I am asking this so i can squeeze the best performance with the limited options i have.

This is the dish i have : https://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/bagging-the-10-foot-mesh-north-of-53.311281

This is the dish i have :
Did you buy the dish from ftageekyyc or you speak about not particular antenna but the same one? Why not some pictures of your antenna? Is that already installed and what kind of LNB/LNBF it has? What is the performance of your satellite system and why you think it should/can be much better?

Did you buy the dish from ftageekyyc or you speak about not particular antenna but the same one? Why not some pictures of your antenna? Is that already installed and what kind of LNB/LNBF it has? What is the performance of your satellite system and why you think it should/can be much better?
I did not buy from him but it’s exactly the same model and size. No pictures because still waiting to move to the new place next month.

well.... and what kind of feed (LNB/LNBF) you have on your antenna? Why do not you try it and then think about the ways how to improve performance? MAybe you already have the best one!

well.... and what kind of feed (LNB/LNBF) you have on your antenna? Why do not you try it and then think about the ways how to improve performance? MAybe you already have the best one!
Ok fine but can you still tell me how the cal amp lnb I attached above performs compare to norsat just for curiosity’s sake?

Edit: i got a Digiwave C/ku lnbf with the dish. Not sure about the exact model

Chaparral ortho feed and pair norsat 3000 series with modded multi switch. I had lower budget so settled for ortho and pair norsat 5150f's

Chaparral ortho feed and pair norsat 3000 series with modded multi switch. I had lower budget so settled for ortho and pair norsat 5150f's
Ok thanks. Woudnt it cheaper to get a feedhorn with servo and spend the extra cash on upgrading the single lnb instead of using 2 lnbs on an ortho

With 2 C LNB's you do not need to have a controller to run the servo motor to change polarities. The two outputs can run into a multiswitch for more than two receivers and the polarity is switched by the voltage selecting multiswitch input 1 or 2. No servo motor sticking in the winter. Instantaneous switching of polarities without the need to fine tune the motor. Most of the digital satellite boxes do not have a servo controller built into them, causing a much more complex setup.

Reactions: Andyboy90
With 2 C LNB's you do not need to have a controller to run the servo motor to change polarities. The two outputs can run into a multiswitch for more than two receivers and the polarity is switched by the voltage selecting multiswitch input 1 or 2. No servo motor sticking in the winter. Instantaneous switching of polarities without the need to fine tune the motor. Most of the digital satellite boxes do not have a servo controller built into them, causing a much more complex setup.
Thanks for the info. I was planning on getting a titanium asc1 to control my actuator anyways and I believe that it controls the servo as well but the point about winter freezing is very valid for my location. I have heard from a friend of mine that the greatest benefit of a servo is the ease of tweaking the skew instead of doing in physically whereas we dont have this in an ortho.
So i guess my final question is if strictly talking performance, which one is better, an ortho with two lnbs or one servo controlled feedhorn with one lnb

Well from a performance point of view, most professional prime focus dishes are three axis dishes. Azimuth, elevation and skew(polarity adjust). Orthomode feeds were intended for these three axis dishes, so they still had skew control. For 99% of viewing the skewing of a polar mount dish is sufficient and a polar rotor is unneeded. Orthomode feeds give you the advantage of more than one receiver. But cost twice as much for LNBs. You can buy LNBs from less than a hundred to well over six hundred each. The difference may be unnoticeable when paired with less expensive receivers and such. I have a Dual orthomode feed, Bullseye II, with four expensive Norsat PLL LNBs on a 10' dish. They require an external power source for the receiver is unable to provide the current needed. Retail on that feed and LNB setup would be about $1800. Is it worth the money? Considering I had no special needs for high priced equipment, probably not.
I single LNB feed with polarrotor does not have to freeze in winter. That's what the covers are for. They can give you very close if not the same performance with the same LNB as an ortho. You don't need to spend a lot of money for good performance. But to try and define "the best" is subjective. I would look more to how do I want to use my setup? As a guide to your purchases.

Well from a performance point of view, most professional prime focus dishes are three axis dishes. Azimuth, elevation and skew(polarity adjust). Orthomode feeds were intended for these three axis dishes, so they still had skew control. For 99% of viewing the skewing of a polar mount dish is sufficient and a polar rotor is unneeded. Orthomode feeds give you the advantage of more than one receiver. But cost twice as much for LNBs. You can buy LNBs from less than a hundred to well over six hundred each. The difference may be unnoticeable when paired with less expensive receivers and such. I have a Dual orthomode feed, Bullseye II, with four expensive Norsat PLL LNBs on a 10' dish. They require an external power source for the receiver is unable to provide the current needed. Retail on that feed and LNB setup would be about $1800. Is it worth the money? Considering I had no special needs for high priced equipment, probably not.
I single LNB feed with polarrotor does not have to freeze in winter. That's what the covers are for. They can give you very close if not the same performance with the same LNB as an ortho. You don't need to spend a lot of money for good performance. But to try and define "the best" is subjective. I would look more to how do I want to use my setup? As a guide to your purchases.

Thanks bud. You answered each and everything i was looking for on this topic :)

If money is no object what lnb and feedhorn combo would you guys recommend? I have heard good things about the bullseye ii feedhorn but all I am interested is C band and no much in ku. Where i live (Northern Canada) majority of satellites are weak (37-39dbW). I am planning on installing a 10 foot satellite dish. I have looked at some chaparral feedhorns like corotor ii but i am assuming that the C/ku combo feedhorn would degrade C band performance which i would like to avoid.
I dont believe a Chapperall c/ku feed horn is compromising the cband in its design, especially since the ku is just an extension of the horn top... i get nearly 98%strength-98%quality on many transponders from norcal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts