Best LNBF for 10 Foot Solid Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
In another thread I'm working on restoring a Channel Master 10 Foot solid Fiberglass dish. The rust was so bad on the Scalar Ring that all the bolts broke off. Thus I need a Scalar Ring and a LNBF.

I want to buy a very good LNBF that will be good for S2, 4DTV that also has a good Scalar Ring for a 10 foot dish.

What are the plus's and minus's of C-Band only or doing C-Band and KU on the same LNBF.

I have read about Norsat and CalAmp which are expense but may not be the best for S2.

If you were putting together a 10 foot solid dish - - - WHAT would you buy for the project?

Your experiences good or bad are welcome. :up

Do you want an LNBF......or do you want a servo-controlled feed?

The reason I ask is because you mention Norsat and CalAmp, and as far as I know both of them only make LNBs that would be used on a servo-controlled (or ortho) feed, not LNBFs.

Trying to keep it simple

I want a LNBF - - - sorry - - - I had read many threads and had Norsat and CalAmp on the brain.

The dish had an old Chaparral on it and I don't have any experience with servo-controlled feeds.

I have done several mini-BUD's but this will be my first big dish to get operational.

Well that narrow things way down. :)

I have never tried for Ku on my BUDs but if that is what you intend to do everything I have read on this forum leads me to recommend the Geosatpro CK1, or the DMX741 from Galaxy.

Both come with scalar rings.

I think a few have even had decent results from the BSC621, but that was the exception rather than the rule maybe.

Plus(ses): having dual-band capability on one dish?

Minuses: By most accounts it's pretty tough to get Ku to come in when you at your C-band peak, or vice versa. May require a lot of tweaking. Also they are single output, if that concerns you.

I think a guy is better off going with C-only on a BUD, and using an offset dish (like a repurposed 1.2m ex-miniBUD?) for Ku-only.

S2, you say...

...I'm working on restoring a Channel Master 10 Foot solid Fiberglass dish.
....I want to buy a very good LNBF that will be good for S2, 4DTV that also has a good Scalar Ring for a 10 foot dish.
What are the plus's and minus's of C-Band only or doing C-Band and KU on the same LNBF.

I have read about Norsat and CalAmp which are expense but may not be the best for S2.
If you were putting together a 10 foot solid dish - - - WHAT would you buy for the project?
I suggest you get in on this revival of the orthomode discussion:
Thinking about orthomode feedhorns
Everything you want to know is going to be re-discussed there.
(including good words about CalAmp and Norsat)

Only thing to add is this:
- orthomode for C-band only is not expensive.
- orthomode for C- AND Ku- bands is very expensive for the feedhorn, ... or you'll have to be seriously lucky to find one cheap.!. - :cool:

I use the BSC621 LNBF and it pegs the meter on some of the DVD-S2 8psk 30000 m/s signals. I do get some mild jerkiness on one of the channels sometimes but not the rest. I believe the receiver is underpowered instead of it being an LNBF problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)