Status
Please reply by conversation.

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
In another thread I'm working on restoring a Channel Master 10 Foot solid Fiberglass dish. The rust was so bad on the Scalar Ring that all the bolts broke off. Thus I need a Scalar Ring and a LNBF.

I want to buy a very good LNBF that will be good for S2, 4DTV that also has a good Scalar Ring for a 10 foot dish.

What are the plus's and minus's of C-Band only or doing C-Band and KU on the same LNBF.

I have read about Norsat and CalAmp which are expense but may not be the best for S2.

If you were putting together a 10 foot solid dish - - - WHAT would you buy for the project?

Your experiences good or bad are welcome. :up

Do you want an LNBF......or do you want a servo-controlled feed?

The reason I ask is because you mention Norsat and CalAmp, and as far as I know both of them only make LNBs that would be used on a servo-controlled (or ortho) feed, not LNBFs.

Trying to keep it simple

I want a LNBF - - - sorry - - - I had read many threads and had Norsat and CalAmp on the brain.

The dish had an old Chaparral on it and I don't have any experience with servo-controlled feeds.

I have done several mini-BUD's but this will be my first big dish to get operational.

Well that narrow things way down. :)

I have never tried for Ku on my BUDs but if that is what you intend to do everything I have read on this forum leads me to recommend the Geosatpro CK1, or the DMX741 from Galaxy.

Both come with scalar rings.

I think a few have even had decent results from the BSC621, but that was the exception rather than the rule maybe.

Plus(ses): having dual-band capability on one dish?

Minuses: By most accounts it's pretty tough to get Ku to come in when you at your C-band peak, or vice versa. May require a lot of tweaking. Also they are single output, if that concerns you.

I think a guy is better off going with C-only on a BUD, and using an offset dish (like a repurposed 1.2m ex-miniBUD?) for Ku-only.

S2, you say...

...I'm working on restoring a Channel Master 10 Foot solid Fiberglass dish.
....I want to buy a very good LNBF that will be good for S2, 4DTV that also has a good Scalar Ring for a 10 foot dish.
What are the plus's and minus's of C-Band only or doing C-Band and KU on the same LNBF.

I have read about Norsat and CalAmp which are expense but may not be the best for S2.
If you were putting together a 10 foot solid dish - - - WHAT would you buy for the project?
I suggest you get in on this revival of the orthomode discussion:
Thinking about orthomode feedhorns
Everything you want to know is going to be re-discussed there.
(including good words about CalAmp and Norsat)

Only thing to add is this:
- orthomode for C-band only is not expensive.
- orthomode for C- AND Ku- bands is very expensive for the feedhorn, ... or you'll have to be seriously lucky to find one cheap.!. - :cool:

I use the BSC621 LNBF and it pegs the meter on some of the DVD-S2 8psk 30000 m/s signals. I do get some mild jerkiness on one of the channels sometimes but not the rest. I believe the receiver is underpowered instead of it being an LNBF problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)