Best, simplest version of Linux to put on old Sony Windows XP laptop?

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
I have an ancient Sony Vaio VGN-T250P laptop, that has an Intel Pentium M Processor, "ultra Low Voltage 753" 1.20Ghz 2MB L2 Cache., that means it's only 32 bit capable. 60Gb drive, it still has Windows Xp on it, and actually runs very well. That is, after I just took it out of the closet after not using it for 10 years or more! It does have a USB port, (bios is old, and doesn't allow to boot from this though) and a bootable dvd/cd drive. I do have a way to burn cd's, if that helps, to test on the computer.

Very small laptop, 10" screen. I want to use it as a Channels DVR server, but I believe my best chance is putting a version of Linux on it, and running their Linux DVR software.

Here's their info for the linux version: Channels — Channels DVR Server

I haven't done anything with Linux in at least 10 years, so am NOT up on it at all. What would be the best, smallest version, that can support this laptop and be bootable on the harddrive to be used like this?

I'd much rather use a Raspberry Pi 4, it would likely be simpler, but I can't find one anywhere for a cheap price. Anyway, I have this laptop handy, and it wouldn't cost me anything. Except for time in loading Linux, and trying to figure it all out

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell
Well, I made a linux iso on a cd, ( Q4OS setup and using) and installed it on my laptop. It has a desktop, kind of like Windows. I don't know how to do the rest though. The instructions are on this page at the link below, but I can't figure out how to run them. Do I need a command prompt, or what?

Or do I need a different linux?

Can anybody help?

Well, I made a linux iso on a cd, ( Q4OS setup and using) and installed it on my laptop. It has a desktop, kind of like Windows. I don't know how to do the rest though. The instructions are on this page at the link below, but I can't figure out how to run them. Do I need a command prompt, or what?

Or do I need a different linux?

Can anybody help?

Check the window menu for a terminal app, that should get you a command prompt in a window to work with.

Also, don't know if curl is installed by default on the distro you linked to so you may need to run something like sudo apt-get install curl or similar to get it installed.

Reactions: primestar31
Also, don't know if curl is installed by default on the distro you linked to so you may need to run something like sudo apt-get install curl or similar to get it installed.
Well, you are right, Curl isn't installed. I found the terminal program, and tried running the command you gave to install it. However, it say it "can't resolve ftp:debian.org, blah, blah" so doesn't install.

Not sure why, I have it ethernet hard-wired to my router, and the browser program on the desktop definitely has access to the internet.

Maybe I should load a different version of Linux? I'm not a Linux user, started with Dos, then straight Windows, from version 3, all the way up to 10...

Maybe this version would work?: Home - Linux Mint

Yeah, I guess I'm just not going to get this going. I have no clue what I'm doing with Linux, I'm just mucking around without a clue as to why things do or don't work.

Yeah, I guess I'm just not going to get this going. I have no clue what I'm doing with Linux, I'm just mucking around without a clue as to why things do or don't work.

What was the result after you installed curl and then entered curl -f -s https://getchannels.com/dvr/setup.sh | sh to install Channels DVR Server?

Sorry if that looks funny above as it is trying to display the command as hyperlink. :rolleyes

What was the result after you installed curl and then entered curl -f -s https://getchannels.com/dvr/setup.sh | sh to install Channels DVR Server?
It acted like it installed, and it created the sub folder for it, and gave the command for bringing up the admin page on a browser. However, there doesn't appear to be anything in that sub folder, and when I use the browser to go to: http://localhost:8089, it says "page loaded" but there's nothing there, the page is blank.

IF I try going through the install again, it gives me "access denied" errors.

Ok, I found a different way to see inside folders (by accident) and Channels Dvr IS loaded. I just can't seem to get the admin page to come up in the browser so far. You have to be able to do that to do the initial setup, before it works. Maybe I have to figure out how to load a different browser? Not sure as of yet. Stumbling along, and things are happening... Maybe I'll get lucky yet.

Reactions: TheKrell
It acted like it installed, and it created the sub folder for it, and gave the command for bringing up the admin page on a browser. However, there doesn't appear to be anything in that sub folder, and when I use the browser to go to: http://localhost:8089, it says "page loaded" but there's nothing there, the page is blank.

IF I try going through the install again, it gives me "access denied" errors.

Sorry, couldn't get in the site to reply for some reason - kept getting 403 Forbidden Error. I will try to install it tomorrow to see what happens and post back.

Reactions: primestar31
Ok, I found a different way to see inside folders (by accident) and Channels Dvr IS loaded. I just can't seem to get the admin page to come up in the browser so far. You have to be able to do that to do the initial setup, before it works. Maybe I have to figure out how to load a different browser? Not sure as of yet. Stumbling along, and things are happening... Maybe I'll get lucky yet.
FTA4PA

Ok, I found the installer for the various linux apps available to this Q40 Debian Linux distro. I was able to load & install Firefox. Once I got Firefox installed, I was able to bring up the Channels localhost server page! I'm configuring it now, but so far, so good.

Thanks for your help! Without even just the mention of the Terminal program, I wouldn't have got this far.

...and, we are UP and RUNNING as a Channels server! Working perfectly!

Now, I need to see about plugging in an external USB drive, and setting that up for recordings.

This is a 15 YEAR OLD laptop, that I bought in 2006! It's still physically in great shape, but woefully under powered for new Windows distros. Glad Linux came to the rescue. Saved me a bunch of money buying a separate server.

I've been using linux for nearly 30 years. I'd love to help and I have a lot to offer based on my vast experience. Sadly, I'll likely be cancelled if I do. We could try PM but thats proven not to be private either. Perhaps you could send me your e-mail so I can help you outside of the hostile, heavily moderated satelliteguys infrastructure. Otherwise, you are on your own. You might get lucky with google.

Reactions: Comptech
Your best bet is to just search for whatever you want to do. I "mucked around" with Linux for years, trying different Distros - Ubuntu, Mint, Peppermint, etc and finally just started searching for things like Best Linux for new user, etc. I settled on Manjaro, an Archlinux based OS which I love. It's lightweight, it's fast and it updates itself and packages (programs) on the fly.

Then search -what to do after installing __________ Linux.
How to install __________ browser on ___________linux, etc.

Last year I made the commitment to go full time Linux and haven't looked back. When I DO have to switch back to Windows, it's brief to do whatever I need and then switch right back. Windows seems kind've dirty to me now

I'm not a Linux user, started with Dos, then straight Windows, from version 3, all the way up to 10...
Oh wow. I haven't thought about DOS in years. But I'm even older than you because I used the DEC PDP-11 RT-11. RT-11 had many of the same commands that DOS did. I think somebody copied DEC.

Reactions: HipKat and Foxbat
Oh wow. I haven't thought about DOS in years. But I'm even older than you because I used the DEC PDP-11 RT-11. RT-11 had many of the same commands that DOS did. I think somebody copied DEC.
Yeah, I should have said I started with CPM, Then Microsoft PC-DOS 1.0, then Windows up from there, with a little side-excursion into the original Apple releases

Yep, the first DOS that maybe has 4 more commands than CPM, and ran on single-sided floppy drives!

I did try Linux more than 15 years ago, but it was a command-line version only. Not one of these Windows-type versions.

Anyway, I'm up and running now, as I posted above. Beyond maybe a little extra tweaking and such, I'm good to go.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell
FTA4PA

Ok, I found the installer for the various linux apps available to this Q40 Debian Linux distro. I was able to load & install Firefox. Once I got Firefox installed, I was able to bring up the Channels localhost server page! I'm configuring it now, but so far, so good.

Thanks for your help! Without even just the mention of the Terminal program, I wouldn't have got this far.

...and, we are UP and RUNNING as a Channels server! Working perfectly!

Now, I need to see about plugging in an external USB drive, and setting that up for recordings.

This is a 15 YEAR OLD laptop, that I bought in 2006! It's still physically in great shape, but woefully under powered for new Windows distros. Glad Linux came to the rescue. Saved me a bunch of money buying a separate server.

Great to hear! Keep us posted on your progress with a drive and recordings! :D :thumbup

P.S. Props to lparsons21 for first suggestion of finding terminal program. I came in after that. :rolleyes

P.S. Props to lparsons21 for first suggestion of finding terminal program. I came in after that
Yep, that was the critical HINT I needed, definitely owe him one. Otherwise I would have given up, and spent a lot of time looking things up on Google. Which might have worked, but likely would have taken me a LOT more time to get it done.

As for that Q40S Debian based 32 bit Linux I loaded, it had an installer, and did 99% of the work all by itself. They also have a 64 bit version, in case anybody is interested.

Reactions: TheKrell and FTA4PA
Here's a photo of the laptop. I have the wifi adapter working right now, and left it on all night to get that battery charged. It finally took a charge after being dead for 10 years! Lithium.

Anyway, this laptop is 11" x 7.5" in size, and came with Dolby audio, and a full DVD burner/player! The lcd is 10.5" diagonally. So far, it's working perfect as a Channels server. I even set it to record Metv "Perry Mason" last night to its internal drive at 11:30pm, and am watching that now. Completely flawless! Even over 2.4Ghz wifi!

IMG_20220225_092859174.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)